Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! Since there's not a thread on it, I was just wondering if people have received or are waiting for any offers for Creative Writing and English Literature courses, in particular the ones at UEA and Warwick? I've just had offers from both Unis, and since people usually go for one or the other (I'm choosing UEA), I'm interested to know if there's anyone else going for either course. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, you already got your offer from Warwick...I'm still waiting on mine - checking my inbox about every 5 minutes. Did you have an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    Oh man, you already got your offer from Warwick...I'm still waiting on mine - checking my inbox about every 5 minutes. Did you have an interview?
    Yeah, I got it a couple of days ago, good luck to you, hope it comes through! I did go for an interview, I was so shocked to have been accepted though, I mean, I thought the interview was really nice but I didn't think it was outstanding in any sense of the word. It still hasn't changed my mind about going to UEA though, where else did you apply/get an offer? c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Issypie)
    Yeah, I got it a couple of days ago, good luck to you, hope it comes through! I did go for an interview, I was so shocked to have been accepted though, I mean, I thought the interview was really nice but I didn't think it was outstanding in any sense of the word. It still hasn't changed my mind about going to UEA though, where else did you apply/get an offer? c:
    Thanks, and who knows, maybe your interviewer just thought it was outstanding! Also, did you discuss your portfolio with your interviewer? And what made you choose UEA over Warwick? I got offers for straight English Lit from York, and English Lit. and Creative Writing from Royal Holloway - what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    Thanks, and who knows, maybe your interviewer just thought it was outstanding! Also, did you discuss your portfolio with your interviewer? And what made you choose UEA over Warwick? I got offers for straight English Lit from York, and English Lit. and Creative Writing from Royal Holloway - what about you?
    Yeah, loads of discussion about my own writing, I think that formed the main basis of the interview, really! Well, Warwick has the name and the prestige and everything, and it's a really beautiful campus, but I'm not sure about the atmosphere and the location. With UEA, I can totally see myself going there, the course is brilliantly regarded, and I've stayed with a friend who's a student there and completely loved the night life and the people, plus the city centre is incredible. It was an easy choice for me in the end!
    I've got offers from Warwick, Winchester, UEA, Nottingham, and I'm through to the final stage on Manchester, just waiting to hear back now c:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, loads of discussion about my own writing, I think that formed the main basis of the interview, really! Well, Warwick has the name and the prestige and everything, and it's a really beautiful campus, but I'm not sure about the atmosphere and the location. With UEA, I can totally see myself going there, the course is brilliantly regarded, and I've stayed with a friend who's a student there and completely loved the night life and the people, plus the city centre is incredible. It was an easy choice for me in the end!
    I've got offers from Warwick, Winchester, UEA, Nottingham, and I'm through to the final stage on Manchester, just waiting to hear back now c:
    Hmm, that's interesting. Since we had to postmark our portfolios by February 8, and my interview (as well as many other peoples') was on the 18th, I guess many of the interviewers still didn't have time to read our writing. I guess that's kind of a relief and a disappointment at the same time. I agree with you completely on the location. It's terrible. The train connections automatically suck because you have to get to Birmingham first if you want to go anywhere, and I hadn't seen much of Coventry, but it doesn't seem like anything to get excited over really, unlike somewhere such as York.

I didn't have any issue with the atmosphere though, I thought it was perfectly fine, but then again I'm not from the UK so everywhere probably automatically seems the same to me. Did you like the UEA course better than the Warwick one though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    Hmm, that's interesting. Since we had to postmark our portfolios by February 8, and my interview (as well as many other peoples') was on the 18th, I guess many of the interviewers still didn't have time to read our writing. I guess that's kind of a relief and a disappointment at the same time. I agree with you completely on the location. It's terrible. The train connections automatically suck because you have to get to Birmingham first if you want to go anywhere, and I hadn't seen much of Coventry, but it doesn't seem like anything to get excited over really, unlike somewhere such as York.

I didn't have any issue with the atmosphere though, I thought it was perfectly fine, but then again I'm not from the UK so everywhere probably automatically seems the same to me. Did you like the UEA course better than the Warwick one though?
    I was there on the 18th too, and seriously? I would have thought they'd have made the effort consdering people travel all that way. It really does suck, completely put me off. I'm sure the atmosphere's fine, it's probably just because I've seen UEA when it's not putting on it's best show and still loved it. Definitely, I mean, they both follow the same structure, but I just get a feeling the UEA course was slightly more interactive, even though they have roughly the same sized classes. That's just me though!

ReputationRep:
    I was there on the 18th too, and seriously? I would have thought they'd have made the effort consdering people travel all that way. It really does suck, completely put me off. I'm sure the atmosphere's fine, it's probably just because I've seen UEA when it's not putting on it's best show and still loved it. Definitely, I mean, they both follow the same structure, but I just get a feeling the UEA course was slightly more interactive, even though they have roughly the same sized classes. That's just me though!
    Yeah, it's like those 16 pages I wrote never existed, and I flew from France (although I made good use of the trip and also visited York and Royal Holloway for an Open Day on the 20th). What do you mean same sized classes? Do many English and Creative Writing courses differ in the size of classes?

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for UEA, but there's no chance of me getting the grades. So Nottingham will probably be what I'll go for.

ReputationRep:
    I just received an offer from Warwick for English lit and creative writing. I was really surprised to get in since I couldn't make the interview date and had to fill in an online interview, which meant I could only supply a 4 paged portfolio instead of a 16 paged one. But I'm really glad to get in as this course for Warwick is one of my top choices. I'm curious though as to what the actual questions were like in the formal interviews? For any one who went, did you also have to write a two stanza poem on the theme of mirrors before the interview??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ave.Maria.)
    I just received an offer from Warwick for English lit and creative writing. I was really surprised to get in since I couldn't make the interview date and had to fill in an online interview, which meant I could only supply a 4 paged portfolio instead of a 16 paged one. But I'm really glad to get in as this course for Warwick is one of my top choices. I'm curious though as to what the actual questions were like in the formal interviews? For any one who went, did you also have to write a two stanza poem on the theme of mirrors before the interview??
    Wow, that is surprising. What were your grades? It's better not to discuss questions that were asked in the interview because we might be giving an advantage to anybody reading this forum. During the introductory meeting we were told to write two poems, one on the sea, and one on mirrors, and then one that incorporates both of what you had written for the first and second poems. It was pretty stressful, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    Wow, that is surprising. What were your grades? It's better not to discuss questions that were asked in the interview because we might be giving an advantage to anybody reading this forum. During the introductory meeting we were told to write two poems, one on the sea, and one on mirrors, and then one that incorporates both of what you had written for the first and second poems. It was pretty stressful, to say the least.
    Yea, that does sound very stressfull. I'm doing the IB, and the usual offer they give for this course (according to the website) is 38, and I was predicted 40 points. But the conditional offer they've given me is for 36 points. I've actually also received a conditional offer from Warwick for Philosophy and English Literature and am now trying to choose between which course I should firm.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, that does sound very stressfull. I'm doing the IB, and the usual offer they give for this course (according to the website) is 38, and I was predicted 40 points. But the conditional offer they've given me is for 36 points. I've actually also received a conditional offer from Warwick for Philosophy and English Literature and am now trying to choose between which course I should firm.
    I've already done my IB and got 37 points with a 7 in English, and under some circumstances having one point less than the required grade is already reason enough for them to reject me. Why would they give you a conditional offer that's two points less than the required 38 if you're predicted a 40? This doesn't make any sense to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    I've already done my IB and got 37 points with a 7 in English, and under some circumstances having one point less than the required grade is already reason enough for them to reject me. Why would they give you a conditional offer that's two points less than the required 38 if you're predicted a 40? This doesn't make any sense to me...
    Oh, did you do pass IB last year? I think the usual offer of 38 is really just an example of what they could ask or what level they usually expect. But I know it isn't just to do with the grades, but its also about the personal statement and interview.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, did you do pass IB last year? I think the usual offer of 38 is really just an example of what they could ask or what level they usually expect. But I know it isn't just to do with the grades, but its also about the personal statement and interview.
    Yeah, I was actually predicted a 34 because I was lazy up until exams, but I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere decent with that and I wanted to go on a gap year anyway, so I put off applying and lo and behold a 37. I know it's not about the grades though because I've been accepted to York which requires a 38, and I'm still waiting for Durham which asks for the same. I just still don't understand why they would make you a conditional offer for 36 when you're predicted a 40 and they require a 38. Why not just make a conditional offer for 38?

ReputationRep:
    I got one for Creative Writing & English Lit. at Roehampton. Only offer I've received so far, though, and they want an 8 on average for my Dutch VWO and a 5 for my English IB certificate, which is a rather high offer that I think I won't be able to meet (currently a 7 on average and predicted so.) Still, they gave me an offer, so all is not lost 8)

I also had to send in a portfolio to Goldsmiths, but haven't heard from them since the request in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDK94)
    Yeah, I was actually predicted a 34 because I was lazy up until exams, but I wouldn't have been able to go anywhere decent with that and I wanted to go on a gap year anyway, so I put off applying and lo and behold a 37. I know it's not about the grades though because I've been accepted to York which requires a 38, and I'm still waiting for Durham which asks for the same. I just still don't understand why they would make you a conditional offer for 36 when you're predicted a 40 and they require a 38. Why not just make a conditional offer for 38?
    I know it is a bit strange, but I know that a couple other people in my class who have applied to English universities have experienced the same - they've been given conditional offers lower than their predicted points. But I'm not going to complain of course, I'm very happy with the offer (; I also applied to York and Durham! I was accepted into York but rejected from Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blubimnotafish)
    I got one for Creative Writing & English Lit. at Roehampton. Only offer I've received so far, though, and they want an 8 on average for my Dutch VWO and a 5 for my English IB certificate, which is a rather high offer that I think I won't be able to meet (currently a 7 on average and predicted so.) Still, they gave me an offer, so all is not lost 8)

I also had to send in a portfolio to Goldsmiths, but haven't heard from them since the request in January.
    Congrats on your offer (: I'm also from the Netherlands, and am curious, are you doing the VWO and the IB?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offer (: I'm also from the Netherlands, and am curious, are you doing the VWO and the IB?
    Sort of I do bilingual VWO and the bilingual part includes taking English at HL A IB level, so I'll get an IB certificate as well.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is a bit strange, but I know that a couple other people in my class who have applied to English universities have experienced the same - they've been given conditional offers lower than their predicted points. But I'm not going to complain of course, I'm very happy with the offer (; I also applied to York and Durham! I was accepted into York but rejected from Durham.
    Well, just got my rejection from Warwick. Do you think I might still get an offer due to available space from people such as yourself who got accepted but won't end up going?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.