Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I might be going to Birmingham University next year to study computer science. I have a few questions about the internet that is available to students.

I am aware that the halls come with internet as standard from a third party company, I also know that you can upgrade for faster speeds. Are there any restrictions put on this internet? I am a big online gamer and would hate for things to be blocked preventing me from gaming or downloading via torrents ect...

Also, is there wifi available around campus (So I can access email/forums/youtube?) Currently I tether my smartphone to my laptop so I can get unfiltered internet in college but I'd like to reduce the cost of this monthly bill by downgrading my plan which would mean I could no longer tether.

Thanks for any help,
    TomByrne94
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The provider is ask4. No one I knew upgraded their package, and it was more than speedy for us. I've torrented and it was fairly good, but I'm uncertain about it for gaming.

And yes, there is wifi on campus. It's being rolled out in some halls now as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomByrne94)
    Hi, I might be going to Birmingham University next year to study computer science. I have a few questions about the internet that is available to students.

I am aware that the halls come with internet as standard from a third party company, I also know that you can upgrade for faster speeds. Are there any restrictions put on this internet? I am a big online gamer and would hate for things to be blocked preventing me from gaming or downloading via torrents ect...

Also, is there wifi available around campus (So I can access email/forums/youtube?) Currently I tether my smartphone to my laptop so I can get unfiltered internet in college but I'd like to reduce the cost of this monthly bill by downgrading my plan which would mean I could no longer tether.

Thanks for any help,
    TomByrne94
    Wouldn't they ban you for torrenting due to the huge amount of bandwidth you'd be using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    Wouldn't they ban you for torrenting due to the huge amount of bandwidth you'd be using?
    I wouldn't be torrenting too much... Maybe 10Gb/month...

ReputationRep:
    im in maple bank halls and we just got wifi, pretty sure most accomm had it already. Anyway i played a tonne of league of legends and xbox live and it runs fine and torrent a lot. Its 12mb speed standard i think also there is campus wifi but its pretty ****, good enough for surfing and youtube though.

ReputationRep:
    I currently work for ASK4, leaving soon for Leeds Met. There are no download limits, we do not restrict your usage, and as for torrenting. Well it's against the terms of use however the most that will happen is you will get an email telling you off that's it!

The wireless will be fully installed at the end of this week, however I'd recommend to use the wired connection when gaming as we have had problems across other accommodations with the wireless. Plus if you plan to upgrade the wireless won't be able to support this new speed. Also make sure you request 1 2 1 NAT being enabled on any device you wish to play online games on.

This will all make more sense when you arrive but if you need anything else just drop me a mail!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.