The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Lit results?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Someone in my class got a D when they didn't even sit the paper, but was put down for it. They even have a breakdown of marks that my teacher had found for each question. She tried looking for mine and suddenly my paper doesn't exist. We're getting all papers back including the one with 'imaginary' answers included.
Reply 21
Exact same thing happened at our school, no one got above a C. These are students predicted to get A/A*
Too think I got a high B 1 mark of an A at AS and at A2 only scraped a D is heartbreaking considering I worked 10 times harder and all my practice essays were comfortable A/B grades
I don't even know what to do considering I need an A for English to go to my chosen uni. I just don't understand AQA
Think that happened at my college, I didn't do this exam as I'm in A2 and didn't need to resit either, but a few in my class did. I think our teacher said no-one really got over a C, which sounds surprising! Lots of E's and U's!
I got a D :frown: I think things like this always happen for English Lit though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having read the rest of the responses here, my school seems to be a bit of an anomaly, but I'll post our experience anyway in case anyone wants more points of view!

Last June we sat the AS Aspects of Narrative paper, and the exam results were completely all over the place: one person got a low C which was remarked to a very high A, someone else got a D which was remarked to a C, I got a very low B - we all got 90+% on our courseworks and were expected to all get high As. More papers were sent off for remarking but they weren't changed.
So this Jan a few of us resat it, and we all improved quite a lot - the biggest difference was someone going from an E to an A, I went from a low B to a high A (and the person who originally got a D got full marks). We definitely didn't know the texts as well as we did in June, but in the run up to the exam our teacher got us to focus on writing to tick the exam board's boxes and forget about being creative and original.
I can pretty much promise that the essays we all wrote last summer were better in terms of writing actual literature essays: however, they simply didn't fit the markscheme. This time, we all wrote quite formulaically, and although we hadn't done nearly as much work as we had for the previous one, we all did better. We're lucky in that we have a brilliant English department and our teachers were great in finding out exactly what we needed to do in the exam and showing us how. I wonder if perhaps at some other schools the actual method of answering the question wasn't taught so well, even if the content was?
Again, having said that, some people improved dramatically without doing much revision at all, after writing only a couple of practice essays. So yeah, even though we did better it does still seem pretty random (and the post above about someone getting a D without even sitting the paper seems to support this!!)
Reply 25
May as well add some more results in here just to give a wider sample for everyone to see.

I personally didn't have to retake this in Jan, but the majority of my year who do English Lit did. Roughly 16 people in total and everyone improved by at least 1 grade, had two people get full ums too, one of whom had got a U previously in this exam. I guess this doesn't really add anything to the mood on this thread, but thought I would share just because there seems to be so much disappointment surrounding it...
Original post by ChildishGambino
I'm also doing AQA English Lit but A2 and I'm on a gap year. I did this exam in June with very little revision or preparation and left feeling like I'd done awful, I think I even shed a few tears after however I knew I deserved a low grade for it. (For context, I got full UMS in the AS exam and A2 coursework which wasn't changed and a high A for the AS coursework, predicted an A* overall) I got a B in that exam so decided to take a gap year, put all my effort into the Jan resit and get the A* I thought I could.

I worked so hard for this January exam, I reread the books about three times and revised nearly daily from November so I really felt as though I knew what I was talking about. I double checked with my old teachers that I was revising for the correct things and they really expected me to do well, as did I (especially as I left the exam feeling quite confident!) I ended up getting a D.

I've never got a D before in English and it wasn't a matter of panicking in the exam so I have no idea how I got this grade, I don't recall doing anything drastically wrong like forgetting to quote/write an essay. I think that if my essay style was strong enough to get good grades in last years exam and coursework, how can it not be good enough now? I just don't understand what I did wrong really :s

Hoping my paper will come back soon and it might all be clearer (I supposed I could have drastically ****ed up and not realised at all). Luckily my last grade of a B still counts so I still have an A overall however my uni require an A* :frown:

Yeah, something is definitely up.

I was talking to a girl in my class who's actually been accepted into Cambridge and never got lower than an A, resat it and was going for full marks (she got an A last year, but she's going for full marks over all) and she too got a C.

Like I said, it's not that I think I'm amazing or anything like that. But at this point, it just seems completely odd and bizarre that there are *so* many students that consistently get A's, have got 1/2/3 or more grades lower.
Original post by MichaelB6
Yeah, something is definitely up.

I was talking to a girl in my class who's actually been accepted into Cambridge and never got lower than an A, resat it and was going for full marks (she got an A last year, but she's going for full marks over all) and she too got a C.

Like I said, it's not that I think I'm amazing or anything like that. But at this point, it just seems completely odd and bizarre that there are *so* many students that consistently get A's, have got 1/2/3 or more grades lower.

Same, I'm not claiming that I'm the best at English and deserve a good grade on that basis but I've never ever got a D before in English so don't see where it came from. Especially as I revised loads and felt it went pretty well

I suppose when AQA return our papers, we'll see if/where we went wrong.
AQA English Lit looks to be very suspicious.... lots of people on here saying the same thing as you guys. Thankfully I'm on OCR, hopefully the June exam won't through up as many anomalous results as the AQA paper :s-smilie:
I got my AS aspects of narrative exam back on Thursday and its basically the same as what everyone here is saying. My target grade is a B but I was hoping for an A and had got an A in my mock exam. I thought my exam went ok, if not good, and then I got my results back and I had got a D:frown: I've never got a D before in my life and I've always worked hard and was obviously really disappointed, especially as 1 mark less i would have gotten an E:frown: We got the breakdown of our marks and I got 8/21 on the first 2 questions in section A and then 9/42 for the section B question. I'm re-sitting and am going to get my paper back to have a look
Reply 30
Original post by Alice:)
I got a D in the paper originally, and I got a D again yesterday. I despair- honestly. It puts me in an awkward position because unless I retake again, me getting a B really depends on doing well in the a2 paper, and at the moment I don't trust AQA enough at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got exactly the same, D first time then D second time only two marks higher. I really don't understand it, the first time I panicked and made some weak points and no critics, so I was expecting to do badly but I really prepared for my resit and used structure, named critics and ticked off the AO's as I did them. I don't know how it could go so wrong. Not sure whether to resit again because I need a B overall and I have a weak C at AS currently or just concentrate on gothic and coursework :frown:
This is why I warn people against lit.

I seriously can't comprehend how it works...

People should ask for exemplar material, A grade examples. See the differences.

Some are so subjective... From a D to an A in a remark?! Wtf
Reply 32
Original post by amyray
I got exactly the same, D first time then D second time only two marks higher. I really don't understand it, the first time I panicked and made some weak points and no critics, so I was expecting to do badly but I really prepared for my resit and used structure, named critics and ticked off the AO's as I did them. I don't know how it could go so wrong. Not sure whether to resit again because I need a B overall and I have a weak C at AS currently or just concentrate on gothic and coursework :frown:

I went from a C to a D in my re-sit and I just know that's not possible. I'm a bit like you, in my first exam in June I was not hitting the AOs at all, and even my teacher said that. My explanations were weak, my structure missed out quotations and my links from wider reading to extract were not even links, I just put some novels in because I couldn't think of it.

In January, I changed my writing style, improved my structure, ensured I was adding affects on reader, writer's intention and alternative interpretations with deep analysis and yet I've dropped a grade. It just doesn't make sense. I don't trust AQA at all.
Last year everyone in my class got what they were expecting (a few As, a couple of Bs and a couple of Cs I think) but I have heard lots of things about its bad reputation for marking from other schools.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MichaelB6
Copying and pasting what I've said in a previous post -

I registered just to post my sob story, haha. (Studying English Lit AQA A)

Last year I got high marks in my coursework (I think 71/80), but I ballsed my exam up. I knew I did the moment I came out of the halls. Sure enough, ye, got my results back and I got 73/120, ergo a C. I was pretty upset since English Lit is my favourite subject, but not surprised and just thought I'd have to put extra effort in the January resit.

I did that. I revised a good 8 hours a week at least, missed friends 18ths, destroyed my social life, all in the hope that I would get an A in the exam, since my chosen uni (Sussex) wants AAB or A*BB. Sat the exam (Struggle for Identity and Duffy poetry), and really, I thought it went pretty ok. Not amazing, but I thought I'd ATLEAST got a solid B, and I was quietly confident that I got an A. I mean, I memorized the AO's of by heart, made the correct links etc, only negative thing was I slightly rushed the Duffy section.

But nope, got my results today. 82/120. C, near a B, but still not an A over all. Not gunna lie, devastated. Utterly devastated. I just don't understand how in this exam, where I *knew* I did x10 better than my ballsed up exam last year, I got a grand total of 9 marks more? :/

I really think the marking is botched. It's even worse since this was my last chance; the syllabus has changed, and this was quite literally my last chance of getting an A without re-doing another year at college. Just so... devastated. Another year of my life wasted and I just don't understand why. >.>

Definitely recalling my paper and asking for it be remarked. I've never trusted AQA much anyway, when ever I read about them, they're always commented for their hit and miss marking. They're either too generous or too cruel. >.>

edit:

predicted an A* for the record. Looks like that won't happen... haha.

---

At this point, I'm really, really doubting AQA. It's not that I think I was amazing or anything, far from it, but I don't understand how I left one exam knowing I had messed up and got 73/120, to the other exam where nothing horrendous happened and only got 9 marks higher, when I've been consistently getting A's through out the year.

I'm asking for my paper to be recalled and probably remarked. My (old) teacher was quite surprised, because after the exam I told her nearly everything I wrote and she said it all sounded like unique arguments and on that alone, I'd probably get a B. And like I said earlier, I felt confident that I'd atleast achieved a B.

This also isn't a case of 'oh, you can just resit'. The syllabus, for me at least, has changed. That was my last chance to get an A/high B and the only other option I have at this point is to re-take another year of college. As I'm sure you can understand, I'm far from ok with that prospect.

I am in exactly the same situation with regards to which questions you took and the disappointing results.
Our school had mixed results in June 2012 and some of our best English students came out with C's or below for which they were and should be predicted at an A/A* level.
Those that retook the exam largely felt quietly confident about this exam, we'd looked at our previous papers and improved our answers through exam practice and help from our teacher (who in my opinion is the best A-level teacher I have) and I felt it went at least to a B grade level (and that was accounting for the weird AQA marking!)
This Jan, only one person got an A, and he said he revised for a single day before (took the day off to do so) and doesn't even do English at A2! Everyone else got a C or below, I myself getting an E (prior to this was a D).
Personally, I had never worked so hard for an exam and it feels like an absolute letdown when you feel like the hard work isn't being rewarded!
We know something is wrong, one of the students actually did a practice paper the night before in which it involved the same sort of question based around the same poem given, and had got a high A from the practice. He came out with a D in the exam.
We've received remarks for 4 of them (whom were deemed the most capable to go up in marks), I went down 2, another went down 2 marks, one stayed the same, and the other went up by 5 (but still a U).
Our teacher has recalled the papers to see what the hell AQA are thinking. We've never ever got below a C in practice papers, the majority being a high A's/B's.
The result has made me lose any confidence in this A level, i feel like any effort i will put in for the A2 exam will go to waste on these flawed markers and mark schemes because I didn't jump through one of their hoops after jumping through the rest.
Same, I got an E, one mark off a D. This was so unexpected!! I was prediction a lot higher and did a lot better in my mocks, I'm just really confused. My teachers have been on the phone with AQA and looking what is going on because this is a shock to everyone. Only one person got a C and that was the highest in the class. I'm just distraught cause if I don't get at least a C, I won't be doing the course I want at the Uni I want. Just praying that sending it off to get remarked is worth while. AQA really played us this year...
Original post by Lema01
So I just got back my English Lit result and I got U Grade!

This was really unexpected for me; I was predicted an A and I also came out of the exam feeling really confident.

I was wondering if this is a nationwide thing..? Because many students I know in my school and in other schools are in a similar situation.

So is it probably a nationwide thing? And what result did you get?

Thanks!

Don't worry , it isn't the end of the world. I achieved an A grade , however this is my second year of AS as i re-did the year . Last year i achieved a D . Resitting the year may be a option if you really are not happy with your grade x

Quick Reply

Latest