Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Ambitious women are pushy whereas men are just ambitious & confident Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a law student and I was recently having a discussion with some of my fellow students about diversity in the Judiciary, the Bar and the society in general.

What I was particularly surprised by is that many of the males in discussion group considered ambitious women to be pushy and too much of a feminist whereas men that may have been working in the same field as the aforementioned women were just considered ambitious and confident about their skills.

This is 2013, and I have absolutely NO clue why this is the case. People have been bragging about the fact that women are now equal to me etc. NO, they are not. Women are the ones that are still expected to back off when there's dispute in the working place especially in the higher echelons, because otherwise they'll just be greedy, pushy and *****es. In the legal world, women are the ones that have to keep proving they are excellent judges, barristers, solicitors worthy of promotion, while in comparison, men have to do very little. As my friends say, those men are just confident in their skills! Women are constantly being told to "grow a pair" and try to "blend in" with the boys if they want their career to lead somewhere. They are expected to be great mothers, wives, housewives, and at the top of their game at work. No one ever asked men to do anything of that. They are evidently paid less and God forbid if they ever need to decline work because they need more time with their family.

I DO recognize that young men are nothing like they used to be 30 years ago. They do their best to help their wives, girlfriends, partners with the household chores, many of them take paternity leave, spend more time with their children and generally try to be as supportive as possible. However, they are apparently totally different when it comes to the working market.

Can you please offer your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelin)
    I am a law student and I was recently having a discussion with some of my fellow students about diversity in the Judiciary, the Bar and the society in general.

What I was particularly surprised by is that many of the males in discussion group considered ambitious women to be pushy and too much of a feminist whereas men that may have been working in the same field as the aforementioned women were just considered ambitious and confident about their skills.

This is 2013, and I have absolutely NO clue why this is the case. People have been bragging about the fact that women are now equal to me etc. NO, they are not. Women are the ones that are still expected to back off when there's dispute in the working place especially in the higher echelons, because otherwise they'll just be greedy, pushy and *****es. In the legal world, women are the ones that have to keep proving they are excellent judges, barristers, solicitors worthy of promotion, while in comparison, men have to do very little. As my friends say, those men are just confident in their skills! Women are constantly being told to "grow a pair" and try to "blend in" with the boys if they want their career to lead somewhere. They are expected to be great mothers, wives, housewives, and at the top of their game at work. No one ever asked men to do anything of that. They are evidently paid less and God forbid if they ever need to decline work because they need more time with their family.

I DO recognize that young men are nothing like they used to be 30 years ago. They do their best to help their wives, girlfriends, partners with the household chores, many of them take paternity leave, spend more time with their children and generally try to be as supportive as possible. However, they are apparently totally different when it comes to the working market.

Can you please offer your thoughts?
    This is 2013, and I have absolutely NO clue why this is the case.
    As long as humans exist, emotion will override logic, which will result in stereotypes.

This isn't limited to females - how many male nurses and nail technicians do you know? 1/5? 1/10?

What's the first thing that you'd think of a guy if he tells you that he works in a beauty salon?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.