Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Eating meat is bad for you Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some scientists, plagiarising from common knowledge, have revealed that "Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young". What the article tries to gloss over is the 5.88% chance of dying from just being in the study, and that of those, only 3% could have been saved if they ate less than 20g of meat (how much is that anyway, a thimble?). Thus if you really wanted to draw conclusions from the study, it would be "Don't take part in studies as you have over 5% chance of dying in the next 13 years, and don't bother cutting back on meat if you like it because the increase in risk of death is too small to bother about."

Is this sort of reporting sensible? Obviously the study's a stupid waste of time, but to try and distort the conclusion to scare people away from meat shouldn't be happening, especially at the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    With all these studies I always remember what someone said to me. "Breathing increases your risk of dying, apparently everyone that has tried it has died" You're going to die of something so you may as well continue to eat meat

And to make things scarier, there was another article that linked the salt (which processed meats often contain a lot of) in our diets to some autoimmune diseases :indiff:

I think this article was a little better written though, they mentioned that decreasing one's salt intake after having the disease would change nothing, just keeping it real.

ReputationRep:
    meh everything kills you these days apparently... i like my booze, tobacco and red meats far to much to worry about some trifling little issue like dying...

ReputationRep:
    But... bacon.

ReputationRep:
    It's not bad for you, as long as you choose lean, white meat and eat red meat in moderation. Obviously, if you're choosing the fatty/processed/salty stuff then it may cause you harm if you have too much of it. But if you generally eat healthy, I think meat is good and should be enjoyed :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Eating too much processed food is not good for you. The body soon catches up with you. Instead you should eat lean meats like pork, fish, chicken and horse meat and substitute them from time to time with other protein foods like nuts and cottage cheese. Eat red meat sparingly.

ReputationRep:
    Processed meat is absolutely fine if eaten in moderation. Too much of anything is bad for you though.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with any 'unhealthy' food is that if you have it in moderation you are going to be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    This is remarkable, truly astonished by the impact processed meat has on health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomclarky)
    Processed meat is absolutely fine if eaten in moderation. Too much of anything is bad for you though.
    This, I really am bored of seeing these 'X will cause cancer' or 'X increases the risk of dying young', I mean so what, if I was cut down on processed meat or red meat now, how much longer would I live anyway, its not like its gonna add 20 years onto my life, chances are something else will kill me anyway, its impossible to avoid anything and everything that causes cancer or decreases your lifespan, so these studies are such a waste of time, why can't these scientists be doing something useful:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    This, I really am bored of seeing these 'X will cause cancer' or 'X increases the risk of dying young', I mean so what, if I was cut down on processed meat or red meat now, how much longer would I live anyway, its not like its gonna add 20 years onto my life, chances are something else will kill me anyway, its impossible to avoid anything and everything that causes cancer or decreases you lifespan, so these studies are such a waste of time, why can't these scientists be doing something useful:rolleyes:
    Exactly. I'd rather live a slightly shorter life but enjoy it to the fullest, than never eat anything remotely unhealthy and live until i'm 100.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous study did not hold for other variables in lifestyle. There is probably a strong correlation between eating processed meat and other unhealthy lifestyle choices.

It is just like the bull**** that eating breakfast is healthy. This conclusion was drawn because healthy people in studies often ate breakfast. However this was not due to the eating of breakfast but because healthy people in general ate breakfast because people who are health conscious tend to eat breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like *******s to me.
    My grandparents were 89 and 92 when they died and ate meat every day.
    My great great great aunt died a couple of weeks short of her 103rd birthday and she did the same.

Frankly, that's plenty old enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    meh everything kills you these days apparently... i like my booze, tobacco and red meats far to much to worry about some trifling little issue like dying...
    Why worry about dying, it's going to happen at some point. Most of us are going to succumb to heart failure aren't we... lovely thought I'm sure. If I still have pressing issues with fulfillment of life by age 80 or whatever I could only query what the bloody hell I've done with the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say the odds of dying in a year for a 18-30 year old is about 1/1000

In 13 years this means you have (1-(1-1/1000)^13)x100% = 1.3% chance of dying.

For a 65 year old the chance is about 1/250.

Then in 13 years the chance of dying is roughly about what was in the study.

So I conclude that the study involved mainly old people. So basically until you're old there is nothing to worry about.

Sources
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if eating meat is bad for you, but it is certainly bad for the 'meat'.

ReputationRep:
    Most studies like this fall under the EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER! level of scientific worth and rigour (read: absolutely none).

I'm happy some um... 'scientists' found something to pass the time on, and maybe even got paid for it so they could feed their family...processed meat.... but really people need to take these studies with a grain of salt (not literally, salt is bad for you remember?).

It's usually quite simple to figure out a study's many errors and lack of scientific basis and strict adherence to empirical process. These studies are also often carried out by people who are clearly looking for an excuse for funding or are run/funded by people with vested interest in certain outcomes and conclusive bias.

The fact this made headlines tells me one thing only: It was a slow news day and in the mind of editors and media types it made a nice 'scary' tie-in to the recent horse-meat/meat contamination scandal.

Nothing to see here folks you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather die happy, covered in bacon and having five hot women eat it off of me then get cancer rather than be forced to eat carrot sticks whilst watching Countryfile. I don't want the highlight of my week to be having a couple of Quorn sausages.

That said, I'm more ethical these days in that I won't buy meat if I know the animals have been treated inhumanely (even though they are raised to provide meat, but still..).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flibble22)
    I'd rather die happy, covered in bacon and having five hot women eat it off of me then get cancer rather than be forced to eat carrot sticks whilst watching Countryfile. I don't want the highlight of my week to be having a couple of Quorn sausages.

That said, I'm more ethical these days in that I won't buy meat if I know the animals have been treated inhumanely (even though they are raised to provide meat, but still..).
    Do not talk bad about country file, I love it

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.