Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just been offered a place on the social work course in September 2013.

However, with being based in Warrington i wondered what people thought of the night life as it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Where do students go? Manchester? Or do people tend to stick to Warrington. If so is it any good?

As i come from Leeds where the night life is pretty good, don't want to move to a place where there's nothing to do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Chester student so not the best person to comment as such, however, Warrington doesn't hold back with nights out. From what I understand, taxis are pretty cheap and in terms of an actual night out, its actually pretty good. Realistically I dont think it can compete with bigger cities, simply due to size, but your nights out will not be lacking just because campus is a bit of a way from town.

ReputationRep:
    nice one, thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    No problem, unfortunately the board is a bit quiet this time of year! I prefer a quiet pint myself, but I have heard good things about Warrington!

ReputationRep:
    im starting adult nursing at chester in september but i'll be staying on warrington campus too! Campus looks **** and i dont have a clue what halls to stay in haha. Never even been to warrinton before so dont have a clue what to expect...least there's always manchester and liverpool nights out u deffo off to warrington beth? x

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday is student night, it's not that great at all but can sometimes be busy, like once a month. Saturday's are always busy. Monday is Chester student night which is about 30 mins away, really really good, always packed. Tuesday is Warrington which is meh. Wednesday is normally socials at the bar which tend to be busy, but depends on how many sports teams are playing. Also student night in Manchester. Thursday is Liverpool student night (which is where most people go as an alternative to Warrington). Friday is create your own at the bar, fishbowls with any 8 shots in them for 8 quid, normally pretty busy. If you want a uni where nightlife is on your doorstep then don't go here, because student night is often dead because of the fact the entire tuesday night audience in Warrington is just uni students, most of which save themselves for the bar on wednesday as they have games wednesday afternoon and dont get pissed the night before. If you're not that fussed then its a pretty good place because its within half an hour from Chester/Liverpool/Manchester that are all really really good for when you do want a big night out, but also has the uni bar which can be busy sometimes a few bars/clubs in Warrington which can be okay for a few quiet ones. Be warned though that the campus is like a £10 taxi away from Warrington city centre anyway, which is normally alright if you split it between a few people but once you paid that and then entry into places you might aswell have paid for a train or shared a taxi to go to Manchester or Pool. If you get friendly with people at uni who drive, they'll normally take you for much cheaper than taxis would charge you. But I went into uni with the same mentality as you though and trust me after the first 2/3 weeks you wont have enough money to go out 3/4 times a week like you think you will anyway so I wouldnt pick it on this alone.... If your gonna compare Warrington to Leeds it wont be anywhere near as good. But Liverpool, Manchester and Chester are all better imo if you dont mind spending the extra cash to get there. If you want a uni where you can go out on the cheap and get pissed 4/5 nights every week then dont go here unless you dont mind having **** nights or do mind spending loadsa travel money, go somewhere in Liv/Manc/London where there'll be a student night on somewhere every night within walking/cheap taxi distance...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'll be definitely going to Warrington, i've got a few other offers elsewhere but Chester uni comes within the top ten uni's for the social work course i'm doing, and the others i've got into are pretty crap universities and aren't ranked very highly. So i suppose i do have to think about the course and not the fact that they've shoved us lot to Warrington haha but yeah i did think the campus looked pretty crap as well and the student union looked teeeny. I've spoken to a few current students already and they all seem to recommend Manchester Halls, so once we can start applying for accommodation i think i'll go for that one.

And wow thanks for that Ash! I suppose i don't mind having a few quiet pub nights through the week anyway and then having one or two big nights out. I am more of a bar/pub person anyway so i guess it suits me nicely tbh. And yeah obviously students eventually get pretty skint to go out all the time anyway.

I was just a bit gutted when i realised my course would be at Warrington because I LOVE Chester and really wanted to live there. But i do feel a lot better about going here now because I had a bad vibe from it when i went on my interview day.

Thanks for your help, i feel like i'm really starting to bug people now because i keep asking loads of Chester students what they think about it! Ha

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm going to start Digital Photography with Advertising course in September, is anybody going to study the same? I feel really lost (I'm from Spain) and I don't have a clue about anything! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethp1994)
    And wow thanks for that Ash! I suppose i don't mind having a few quiet pub nights through the week anyway and then having one or two big nights out. I am more of a bar/pub person anyway so i guess it suits me nicely tbh. And yeah obviously students eventually get pretty skint to go out all the time anyway.

I was just a bit gutted when i realised my course would be at Warrington because I LOVE Chester and really wanted to live there. But i do feel a lot better about going here now because I had a bad vibe from it when i went on my interview day.
    IMO it's a pretty perfect location really. Your within 20/25 minutes of two of the biggest cities for partying in the UK for when you do want a mad one (aswell as Chester which is just as good imo), but you've also got Warrington albeit only worth a visit on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Didn't mention in the first place there's a club called Sankeys which is kinda inbetween Warrington/Manchester. Never been myself but its ment to be really good. There's a few classier places isolated like that between Manchester and Warrington but only problem is they're pretty isolated like I said so you have to spend the whole night there pretty much. Here's a more detailed view of what's available on each night ...

Monday - Main student night in Chester, Beans @ Cruise. Been twice and loved it both times, been absolutley packed too. Three floors, first floor indie, second commercial//house/dance (Best floor), third floor pop/cheesy. Also Mad Mondays @ Walkabout in Liverpool which is a decent alternative. Also karaoke night at the bar on campus, which is normally busy the first few weeks when everyones got money and is still about getting pissed every night, but eventually dies down.

Tuesday - Student night aka Town Tuesdays in Warrington. Chicagos used to be the main place to go but has died down now, think it might even be closed. Showbar is the main place i'd say, 50p drinks before midnight, £1 after, and £3 entry. Venue is another good place to go but normally as a top-up alcohol level place. Places alternative/indie music, and smells horrible, but £1 jagerbombs and other cheap drinks too. Again, a few quid to get in, so would recommend getting in early to make the most of the cheap drinks. There's about 3/4 other clubs and bars within a minutes walk but i've never been in them so couldnt say what theyre like. It's always been that Showbar is where people normally go because of the cheap drinks. Never been Manchester or Liverpool on a Tuesday so couldn't say what goes on. The bar on campuses at 10 on a Tuesday as 'town tuesday' is basically their night out.

Wednesday - Most people from campus go to the bar for socials, but it depends on how many sports teams/societys have games. Some of the busiest nights at the bar, including freshers week, have been on Wednesdays for socials. Alternatively, if you get it on a **** week where not many teams are playing, it can be literally dead, about a dozen people in. When there were a lot of postponements during the bad weather, games were cancelled so they didnt have socials, but the first 6/7 weeks when about 90% of the teams have a game are the best by far. Normally themed with dress up which can be bit of fun, and if your planning on joining any sports teams or societies, as a fresher these will probably be the nights you dont remember and the lectures you miss the next morning. There are decent alternatives for those weeks you know a lot of teams arent playing so not worth going down, Deansgate lock in Manchester is quite good. student night at Missoula, I think it's £1.75 jagerz and vodka and mixers, and music is really good too, Birdcage is another big student night on Wednesday but havent been so cant really comment. For Liverpool, Medication is the main student night. Again, never been in myself, but got as far as the door once after queing for about 30 mins (which indicates it must be pretty busy), and only heard good things about it.

Thursday - Main student night in Liverpool, or normally a night-off if it was a heavy socials..matthew street and concert square are both relatively busy, no specific place to go really as it operates pretty much more or less as a saturday night. personal favourites are baabaas (free entry, cheapish drinks, and decent music), and krazyhouse if you dont mind a dutty club, or too pissed to care. But like I said theres so many options in Liverpool on a Thursday. Pretty sure its the same situation for Manchester if you head towards Deansgate locks theres a few big nights down there, or equally more central there'll be stuff on, but haven't been there on a Thurs so couldnt say. Also student night at Rosies in Chester, but never been. Nothing on at at the bar on a Thursday seeing as theres so much on offer elsewhere, think they do a study/chill thing in the seating bit of the bar, with unlimited soft drinks for £1.50 or something.

Friday - Create Your Own at the bar, new to this year and was a massive success so can imagine it continuing next year (although all the people involved in running it are graduating/moving on, so cant guarantee it). Basically any 8 shots in a fishbowl with any mixer for 8 quid. One will do you for the night. Normally a dj playing tunes, its a much more social scene, the club bit is normally closed and its all held in the bar but saying that things still get big and messy and the majority of the time a make-shift dancefloor is made somewhere! Along with socials on wednesday, the two stand-out nights at the bar. Likewise to Thursday, the big cities are pretty much your oyster. Something to do everywhere. Warrington too can also sometimes be very busy. at Cruise in Chester (the place most people go on a Monday) theyve just started a night there. Free entry and half price drinks all night which id think is defo worth a visit.

Saturday - Never normally anything on at the bar, normally there's a dj/act on every month or so. But its the biggest night of the week so everyone goes elsewhere, and often those who live locally go home, they dont get enough people in. Some of the people they've had this year include Tempa T, Scrufizzer, The Loveable Rogues (BGT), MistaJam, Monsta and Pendulum are doing a DJ set in a few weeks. Never really massive names but recognizable and normally worth going as its only a few quid and right on your doorstep. Liverpool obviously packed and rocking, same for Manchester. Warrington always packed aswell if you cant bother missioning it there.

Sunday - Probably the one night of the week you'll struggle to do something.. the bar is open until midnight and there's sometimes a quiz on. Every few months theres a carnage night in Liverpool or Manchester which are also packed, your probs familair with them..

Freshers Week!! - Thought id mention this, best week of the year so take advantage of it! Only downside is it's held at the bar all week which can get a bit tedius.. but there's always an event on. Whether it be foam party, uv party, paint party, or an act on. they sell wristband for about £45 i think which gets you in on all 8 nights, but i wouldnt get one as normally people head to Manchester or Liverpool on some nights as theres about 150,000 student having freshers there too and youll get sick of the bar and seeing the same people every night as the campus is very small.

For big nights out students often arrange coaches to Liverpool/Manc/Chester. Normally for birthdays. Like a fiver to Liverpool and back which is always worth taking advantage of. If theres anything else party related or not, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    That sounds pretty mint to me to be honest, sounds like there's a really good mix of places to go. And there's a baabars in Liverpool! Waheyy that's one of my fave places to go in Leeds atm so that has got me sold already ahaha. And to be fair, i reckon if I did go to a uni that was really central i'd just be out every night, wasting all my money and never going to lectures, so it's probably a good option for me haha. And yeah i'll be deffo spending all my money on freshers and checking manchester, liverpool and chester out. But i do like my quiet nights with just a few drinks as well, so its good that the su is right on campus.

I actually went up to Warrington centre the other day to check it out and see what there was, and I really like it, and it's got all the shops i need and everything and its not as small as i thought it was.

Thanks for all your help, can't believe how many people from Warrington are so willing to take the time and give me all this info, it's great love it

So excited to go here now, as like i said, i was a bit disappointed at first. Seems like such a long way away till i actually start, just want it to be september already, and thanks for the advice on freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!I'm going to study Business Management.Anyone doing the same course?I also just wanted to know how the student life is at Warrington?

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted my offer and will be doing sports journalism, looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place at Chester but it's based in the Warrington campus. Do you think it's wise to get a place in Liverpool and travel to Warrington as people are telling me it's not very nice in Warrington due to it being very small?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.