Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Want a tube pass to be more mobile but can't justify it! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    No problem! Hope you're eligible for it ASAP ^.^ I'd advise using more buses though depending where you are. I mean I live in Essex so to get into central London it'd take me about 10 buses and work out more expensive than if I travelled via train.
    for me it's kinda similar (middlesex - suburbs in nw london). Funny thing is the place i need to go is mile end, which is closer to you than me! Takes me an hour 15 by train, but by bus it'd take me like 2-3 hours! lol! Never tried it :P

P.S. seeing you a lot today mysterious lady :ninja: might have to give you 8/10 next time on that "how famous are you" thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    for me it's kinda similar (middlesex - suburbs in nw london). Funny thing is the place i need to go is mile end, which is closer to you than me! Takes me an hour 15 by train, but by bus it'd take me like 2-3 hours! lol! Never tried it :P

P.S. seeing you a lot today mysterious lady :ninja: might have to give you 8/10 next time on that "how famous are you" thread
    Haha maybe then you wouldn't get negged! Still not sure why your comments were negged anyway. And ah that's unlucky! My local station is Dagenham Heathway so it only takes me 25 mins by train to get to Mile End haha. And yeah yikes 2-3 hours is way too long. Sometimes I'll look up oyster fare finder though and they can give you cheaper routes. E.g I had a job interview the other day and the initial route TFL wanted to send me on would have cost £4.50 there and back. But oyster fare finder gave me a different route which avoided zone 1, so only cost me £1.90 there and back. Saved a lot that day in travel!

ReputationRep:
    I really hate to pry, and I know tube fairs are astonishlingly high etc. etc.

But why do you need to go to Mile End every day? You're unemployed right, so it's not a job? I don't do things I can't afford. But I don't moan about them, I deal with it and do things I can afford. And if I can't really afford going somewhere every day, I cut back or find other means to do so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    I really hate to pry, and I know tube fairs are astonishlingly high etc. etc.

But why do you need to go to Mile End every day? You're unemployed right, so it's not a job? I don't do things I can't afford. But I don't moan about them, I deal with it and do things I can afford. And if I can't really afford going somewhere every day, I cut back or find other means to do so...
    i don't need to go everyday. I go 2/3 times a week at £5.40 return each time i go on payg. Actually now i don't have my pass i'm going only once a week and getting fat sitting at home . I go to mile end to my favourite climbing wall there

I hope i get a job soon . Being unemployed sucks!

P.s. thanks for the oyster fare finder tip eliza; i didn't know about that service so you made my day!

ReputationRep:
    Once you've been on jsa for 3 months you get a child fate oyster giving you child fate fares. If you are between 16-25 you can get a railcard which gives you 1/3 off off peak single journeys and caps a one day travel card at 5.60 for zones 1-6
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    i don't need to go everyday. I go 2/3 times a week at £5.40 return each time i go on payg. Actually now i don't have my pass i'm going only once a week and getting fat sitting at home . I go to mile end to my favourite climbing wall there

I hope i get a job soon . Being unemployed sucks!

P.s. thanks for the oyster fare finder tip eliza; i didn't know about that service so you made my day!
    Aren't you meant to be job hunting and not climbing walls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Aren't you meant to be job hunting and not climbing walls?
    yes but i don't job hunt everyday - i go climbing on rest days . You're not one of those judgemental people that think all unemployed people are scum are you? :/

ReputationRep:
    god i did the maths. By tomorrow evening i'll have spent £20.60 on the tube! That's ridiculous! I HATE TFL. Transport in london is such a bloody rip off!

That's more than i spend on my phone in 6 months to put it into context. More than what loads of people in the world earn in like a month! TFL are arsewipes....money making scoundrels...just like bankers...

ReputationRep:
    god i did the maths. By tomorrow evening i'll have spent £20.60 on the tube! That's ridiculous! I HATE TFL. Transport in london is such a bloody rip off!

That's more than i spend on my phone in 6 months to put it into context. More than what loads of people in the world earn in like a month! TFL are arsewipes....money making scoundrels...just like bankers...
    What is your local station? It may keep your cost down if you get a bus to a zone 3 or zone 2 station then jump on the tube? Depending on how long that takes. Or find a climbing wall closer to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    What is your local station? It may keep your cost down if you get a bus to a zone 3 or zone 2 station then jump on the tube? Depending on how long that takes. Or find a climbing wall closer to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's not even the climbing...buses cosing a fortune too! So here's the breakdown:

mon i went to hospital, then to job centre (walked home to save return fare from job centre), 1.40x3,

tues i went climbing (return £5.40)
    weds job interview (return 5.40)
    fri: went out to eat food with friend (1.40x2)
    sat (tomorrow, 1.40x2)-normally i take train,bus x2 but tomorrow taking just the bus and the longer way.

Might be cheaper buying the £93 travelcard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy a 1 month zone 2-4 travel card using my Job seekers allowance so i don't rot at home/in the local area all month, but I'm having a dilema! The price has gone up to £96 for the month now and being unemployed i can't decide whether to get it or not! Gahhh!!!!

PAYG has cost me £10 so far this week, and with tomorrow and sat it'll have cost £15 this week alone!

What do you guys think? Should I get the train pass or just try not go out often and use payg when needed?

So confused :confused:

Why don't you stick to the bus?

They're cheap and less liable to fail- i.e. no signal failure!

ReputationRep:
    it's not even the climbing...buses cosing a fortune too! So here's the breakdown:

mon i went to hospital, then to job centre (walked home to save return fare from job centre), 1.40x3,

tues i went climbing (return £5.40)
    weds job interview (return 5.40)
    fri: went out to eat food with friend (1.40x2)
    sat (tomorrow, 1.40x2)-normally i take train,bus x2 but tomorrow taking just the bus and the longer way.

Might be cheaper buying the £93 travelcard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much does it cost to get to the climbing wall in Amersham? Or do a cheaper hobby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Why don't you stick to the bus?

They're cheap and less liable to fail- i.e. no signal failure!
    theyre ok for short journeys but for going further afield like central london theyre no good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It's partly due to the unions- tube drivers will be on 52k by 2015!

TfL lost £410m when metronet failed

http://billz1064.proboards.com/index...t&thread=13818

£7.8m spent on the first 5 new buses (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ma...ect-criticised)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    transport costs in london are definitely ridiculous, tbh I'd ride a bike, I actually love cycling, but I value my life so thats not an option for me
    I agree lol!

London roads are just so busy it's not safe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    Do you mean a bus pass, not a travel card?

It really depends whether you value time or money. Personally, I'm happy to spend 30 min each way on the 29 every day. And that's only from Bloomsbury to Camden, which I could walk. I much prefer the bus to the sweaty, packed tube.
    And the lovely ibus announcements are good!

ReputationRep:
    theyre ok for short journeys but for going further afield like central london theyre no good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    surely you value money more than time after all the clock will go around for ever but there's no guarantee money will always be there- i.e better to spend 1 hour on a bus compared to a 20 min tube journey when good money is at stake!

ReputationRep:
    tube fares are silly like. I mean it'd be ok if i had a job but being unemployed and still having to pay the same as a rich ****ing banker is just a kick in the teeth! Why should I rot in the house for 3 months waiting for the discount to kick in. I should be eligible for the tube discount sooner - say a few weeks after being on JSA?

I would use a bus but it's a nightmare to get from NW to east london on the bus - 2 hours minimum and more than 3 buses! As it is i get two trains and a bus to get to mile end to climb, from where i am. I do all that just so i can avoid going through zone 1, which is even more rediculous at £160+ a month!
    why do you have such a strong sense of entitlement? the banker is working for his money. why should he have to pay more than you, just because you don't earn as much as him or even earn anything at all. if you were doing a lot of voluntary work and had to travel then fair enough, i would understand the annoyance, but this reaction is out of order. i think jobless people should be supported but you need to sort your attitude out and stop trying to blame others or want worse for others just because you understandably feel bad about your own situation.

ReputationRep:
    tube fares are silly like. I mean it'd be ok if i had a job but being unemployed and still having to pay the same as a rich ****ing banker is just a kick in the teeth! Why should I rot in the house for 3 months waiting for the discount to kick in. I should be eligible for the tube discount sooner - say a few weeks after being on JSA?

I would use a bus but it's a nightmare to get from NW to east london on the bus - 2 hours minimum and more than 3 buses! As it is i get two trains and a bus to get to mile end to climb, from where i am. I do all that just so i can avoid going through zone 1, which is even more rediculous at £160+ a month!
    Haha, you are such a looser. Maybe you could get a job instead of doing FA and then you could afford the tube price. Why should a rich banker have to pay more than someone who has no use to society, it pleases me that you can't afford it. You don't work therefore I don't see why you should have any enjoyment.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have no sympathy for you, OP. You choose to go rock climbing. As for why should you pay the same amount as bankers - why not? You're not taking up less room on the bus or tube. You could probably walk some places too.

Compared to some places, London is cheap for transport and the transport link is much better. All buses where I am (Plymouth) stop just before 11pm. After 7pm, we get buses every half hour.

No-one is suggesting you rot in the house, you could always walk. That's what I have to do - where I live, we only have a bus to the city centre. So if I need to go to the railway station, I've got to walk the 2 miles there. If I need to go to the hospital, I've got to walk a mile where nearest bus stop is to take me to the hospital.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.