Course D216: Economics and the Changing Economies And OU study in general Watch

This discussion is closed.
Shay
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi All,

I am due to pay my registration fee for the Open University Course: Economics and the Changing
Economies (course D216): due to start beginning of February this year.

This is my first time doing a course with the OU and I am still unsure whether I could meet the
demands of this type of study and work full time. I would like any useful advice from anyone who
has done this course previously especially about their study methods and how demanding they found
the course. This is a 60 point course and the OU recommends at least 16 hours a week of study, is
this necessarily so? Also, for anyone who has achieved a diploma in Economics, how has it
enhanced careers?

I would also like advice not only from people who have done this course but also from other OU
students who have done other courses of a similar weight
i.e. 60 points.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Shay
Julie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:19:31 GMT, "Shay" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Hi All,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I am due to pay my registration fee for the Open University Course: Economics and the Changing[/q1]
[q1]>Economies (course D216): due to start beginning of February this year.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>This is my first time doing a course with the OU and I am still unsure whether I could meet the[/q1]
[q1]>demands of this type of study and work full time. I would like any useful advice from anyone who[/q1]
[q1]>has done this course previously especially about their study methods and how demanding they found[/q1]
[q1]>the course. This is a 60 point course and the OU recommends at least 16 hours a week of study, is[/q1]
[q1]>this necessarily so? Also, for anyone who has achieved a diploma in Economics, how has it[/q1]
[q1]>enhanced careers?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I would also like advice not only from people who have done this course but also from other OU[/q1]
[q1]>students who have done other courses of a similar weight[/q1]
[q1]>i.e. 60 points.[/q1]

60 points with the OU is doable, but does take some dedication. Then again, it is a university level
course, so one should expect that. The OU tends to offer its courses so that people with jobs,
families, lives, etc, can manage the workload, and the majority of people I know who do OU study
cope admirably.

If you haven't yet done so, try to make use of the Firstclass conferencing facility that is
available to you as an OU student. You should be able to access it either via the web at
www.open.ac.uk/students, or there is a software version available, that you can get either from the
OU, or download it from www.fcguru.org.uk Keeping in touch with other students, whether they are
doing the same course as you or not, can be a huge help.

Well done on deciding to start with the OU, you won't regret it :-)

Julie
Five Cats
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <e62u4u8kqjivkvhho9ehcbe6bj1tqq6 [email protected]>, Julie <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:19:31 GMT, "Shay" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Hi All,[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>I am due to pay my registration fee for the Open University Course: Economics and the Changing[/q2]
[q2]>>Economies (course D216): due to start beginning of February this year.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>This is my first time doing a course with the OU and I am still unsure whether I could meet the[/q2]
[q2]>>demands of this type of study and work full time. I would like any useful advice from anyone who[/q2]
[q2]>>has done this course previously especially about their study methods and how demanding they found[/q2]
[q2]>>the course. This is a 60 point course and the OU recommends at least 16 hours a week of study, is[/q2]
[q2]>>this necessarily so? Also, for anyone who has achieved a diploma in Economics, how has it enhanced[/q2]
[q2]>>careers?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>I would also like advice not only from people who have done this course but also from other OU[/q2]
[q2]>>students who have done other courses of a similar weight[/q2]
[q2]>>i.e. 60 points.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>60 points with the OU is doable, but does take some dedication. Then again, it is a university[/q1]
[q1]>level course, so one should expect that. The OU tends to offer its courses so that people with[/q1]
[q1]>jobs, families, lives, etc, can manage the workload, and the majority of people I know who do OU[/q1]
[q1]>study cope admirably.[/q1]

I can't speak for economics courses but have done 60 points in 2000
(M206) and 2001 (MT262 & M358). I had the benefit of the courses being in my area of work, so I had
a head start over many people, but personally I would say 60 points is doable especially as
one course where there are no conflicts of interest, but you might have to spend some holiday
on the course at some point in time. Also try to clear your diary for 3-4 weeks before the
exam to be able to revise.

The best person to discuss your doubts with is your tutor - you should get the letter telling you
who they are pretty soon.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>If you haven't yet done so, try to make use of the Firstclass conferencing facility that is[/q1]
[q1]>available to you as an OU student. You should be able to access it either via the web at[/q1]
[q1]>www.open.ac.uk/students, or there is a software version available, that you can get either from the[/q1]
[q1]>OU, or download it from www.fcguru.org.uk Keeping in touch with other students, whether they are[/q1]
[q1]>doing the same course as you or not, can be a huge help.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Well done on deciding to start with the OU, you won't regret it :-)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Julie[/q1]

--
Five Cats
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%