Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How often do you walk your dog? (with poll) Watch

• View Poll Results: How often do you walk your dog?
    Thrice per day
    11.11%
    Twice per day
    27.78%
    Once a day
    40.28%
    Once every two days
    4.17%
    Twice per week
    4.17%
    Once a week
    0%
    Thrice per month
    0%
    Twice per month
    0%
    Once per month
    1.39%
    Less than once per month
    11.11%

• PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My family's got an adorably oversized golden retriever who gets walkies twice a day; first thing in the morning then in the afternoon as well, both normally about 45 minutes. She also has free reign in the garden all day if it's dry so she gets plenty of exercise! A couple of times a week, I'll drive down to the beach with her and she'll have a nice run around Keeps her and me fit!

ReputationRep:
    One of mt GFs has a house in aan open field in nature where there is no dogshitpolice ... when the dog must pooh, she just opens the door and the dog does its messy buisnes someweher outside and after 10 minutes wants to enter the house again....

, thats the life he? Or not??? Haha....

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i think its cruel to have a dog if your not going to walk it every day.

Different types of dog are different obviously.

My dog was a border collie cross cocker spaniel and hed be taken out for about a 45 min walk once or twice a day. He would STILL escape and take himself for walks for miles and miles (honestly we found him about 60 miles from our house once) or for days on end before coming back home.

Some dogs just love walking! (most do tbh) it gives them new smells and excitement and a change of scenery.

Do you not get bored stuck in the house all day? I know I do! Animals are the same.

We even had 2 acres of fields, and our dogs got bored in the field because it wasnt new or exciting, it was their 'territory' and they would end up just sitting at the gate. But let them off in the National Park and they go wild

Oh and my friend had a dog who only got taken out about once a month for 15 mins it was sad, i rarely saw him but when i did i felt so sorry for him. He was loved in every other way, but just never walked

ReputationRep:
    Free dog*****ing !!! hahaha....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist812)
    Given that you find dogs so repulsive, I don't know why 'you are be wanting' to comment on this thread anyway.

On the subject of my dog, an 11-year-old ex-racing greyhound, she gets one or two 15-25 minute walks per day. Increasingly it's just the one nowadays, and it often takes quite a lot of persuasion to get her out of bed for that. Moreover, if you let her off the lead too early she just cuts across the field diagonally and waits patiently near the gate, so you do more walking than she does. :unimpressed:
    Lol my dog (well she's my boyfriend's really) is SO lazy. When I first met him I started taking her for runs with me and she wasn't used to it as he just walked her and never let her off the lead. She'd pull back once she'd done her business as if to say 'Er can we go home now!?'
    She's a bit better now but because I run she still lags behind me half the time as if not used to it still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    I'm glad everyone is walking their dogs lots, makes me happy. Healthy dog healthy owner
    I don't have a dog, and I want one :sad:

I'm jealous of you all. If I have a sammich, I won't share

(Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    And how far do you go?
    When she is with me it is three times a day, overall she does 7km a day.

ReputationRep:
    Once a day for about 15mins...but she's a 12yr old arthritic labrador bless her and 15mins is what she can manage. She potters around the front or back garden a couple of times a day though for the toilet or to catch a patch of sunshine to snooze in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Once a day for about 15mins... (...)
    Me too, if the weather is not too bad. If the weather is fine, I walk through the swamp about 45 minutes with my 5 years old dog.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be able to walk my dog more than once a day, but he's so naughty when I take him out. :mad:

The best thing though, is whilst he's busy ignoring me, to hide behind a tree and then peek round the tree to watch him panic as he realizes I'm not around anymore.

And then I jump out from behind a tree, he runs over in joy and then I grab his collar and hook on the lead.

And then he realizes he's been tricked YET AGAIN. I'll take a picture of his "Damn you Becca!" face and then put it on here, it's hilarious. I'm sure if he could shake his paw in the air, he would.

It sounds mean, but it's the best way to get him to come home.

ReputationRep:
    Less than once a month but I'm at university and my dad is usually the one to take it for walks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    I don't live with my partner now, but when I did, I took his dog for a run, (an actual run) every day for half an hour to an hour. Every time I visit I do this still, as he tends to not let her off the lead and just walk her slowly and I like to give her proper exercise.
    Good on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxious-Nikki)
    I have to walk my dog 5-6 times a day because he won't go in the back garden, he doesn't like being outside, he seems to be agoraphobic (he's a collie, so this seems very odd to me), i'm working on building up his confidence (his previous owners apparantly kept him outside constantly, he is a rescue dog).
    I usually do one long walk, and 4-5 short ones, just so he can go to the toilet.
    I won't post telling you how to train your dog, I get that a lot on the street.

But may I ask what you do? I recently started caring for a dog and am fascinated by them!

ReputationRep:
    My dogs get walked twice a day for 1hr or longer on each walk.
    (They're labrador poodle crosses so need loads of exercise!)

ReputationRep:
    I have to walk my dog 5-6 times a day because he won't go in the back garden, he doesn't like being outside, he seems to be agoraphobic (he's a collie, so this seems very odd to me), i'm working on building up his confidence (his previous owners apparantly kept him outside constantly, he is a rescue dog).
    I usually do one long walk, and 4-5 short ones, just so he can go to the toilet.

Are you usually with your dog when you've tried him in the back garden? Is the garden closed off?

My Dog is in love with the garden. But he won't go in there when I'm there.
    However, my neighbour's dog won't go into the garden without a person with them.

Have you tried laying treats out into the garden? Or walking him around on a lead to just sniff around the garden (with treats)?

I'm sure you have, but just incase. Treats are usually the cure though.

But sometimes there's not much you can do. My dog is terrified of getting wet, and we've tried to break his fear of water, but it just never worked. We had to adjust his bath times so it's no longer in the bathroom (He REFUSED to go in there and when he was in there things would get broken) Bathtime is now in the kitchen (because he loves the kitchen, and good things happen in the kitchen) and we have to fill up buckets and sponge him down and then rinse him off in the garden.
    But he still won't go in the water, he'll never go swimming. All dogs are scared of different things, so yours might never be able to go in the garden or enjoy being outside without some professional (and expensive) help.

As long as you dogs happy you could probably just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)

But sometimes there's not much you can do. My dog is terrified of getting wet, and we've tried to break his fear of water, but it just never worked. We had to adjust his bath times so it's no longer in the bathroom (He REFUSED to go in there and when he was in there things would get broken) Bathtime is now in the kitchen (because he loves the kitchen, and good things happen in the kitchen) and we have to fill up buckets and sponge him down and then rinse him off in the garden.
    But he still won't go in the water, he'll never go swimming. All dogs are scared of different things, so yours might never be able to go in the garden or enjoy being outside without some professional (and expensive) help.

As long as you dogs happy you could probably just leave it.
    Awh sounds like one of mine, he starts shaking when he goes in the bathroom poor thing! He'll still walk into the shower looking sad with his tail between his legs when you tell him to get int though I always feel so bad for him, hes so well behaved!!

Silly because both labradors and poodles love water usually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I won't post telling you how to train your dog, I get that a lot on the street.

But may I ask what you do? I recently started caring for a dog and am fascinated by them!

(Original post by beccagood95)
    Are you usually with your dog when you've tried him in the back garden? Is the garden closed off?

My Dog is in love with the garden. But he won't go in there when I'm there.
    However, my neighbour's dog won't go into the garden without a person with them.

Have you tried laying treats out into the garden? Or walking him around on a lead to just sniff around the garden (with treats)?

I'm sure you have, but just incase. Treats are usually the cure though.

I've tried just leaving the door open so he can go out alone if he wants, i've tried going out with him, with treats and his favourite, i can get him to (reluctantly) come out on his lead, but he just looks miserable and pulls to go back inside. He shows absolutely no interest in treats or toys while outside. People keep suggesting treats, but though in the house he loves them, he really couldn't be less interested outside.

I'm trying to make outside a fun and familiar place to be for him, but it's not
    working too well, so if anyone does have any suggestions, i'm all ears.
    (One suggestion the Dogs Trust made was getting a second dog, and he does perk up a bit when he see's other dogs on his walks, so that's something i'm considering.)

I should say, while home, he seems perfectly happy, healthy, and lovable, he loves to play, or just to cuddle.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried just leaving the door open so he can go out alone if he wants, i've tried going out with him, with treats and his favourite, i can get him to (reluctantly) come out on his lead, but he just looks miserable and pulls to go back inside. He shows absolutely no interest in treats or toys while outside. People keep suggesting treats, but though in the house he loves them, he really couldn't be less interested outside.

I'm trying to make outside a fun and familiar place to be for him, but it's not
    working too well, so if anyone does have any suggestions, i'm all ears.
    (One suggestion the Dogs Trust made was getting a second dog, and he does perk up a bit when he see's other dogs on his walks, so that's something i'm considering.)

I should say, while home, he seems perfectly happy, healthy, and lovable, he loves to play, or just to cuddle.
    When he first comes out and when he goes back in, are you giving him A LOT of praise? And a treat once he comes back inside as well?

You could try taking him out for 2 minutes at a time, then give him a treat as soon as he's back inside. That way he'll get a lot of positive re-enforcement.
    It's also incredibly important to give him any positive or negative re-enforcement straight away. He needs to associate that with going outside.

Something I would consider with a dog that isn't so scared would be to lock the dog outside for 5 minutes if the dog doesn't whine, let the dog back in, but if the dog does whine, wait till it stops whining for a minute, then let it back in. With a hell of a lot of praise of course. But my worry is that your dog would become so stressed and upset that it wouldn't be able to cope very well at all.

It's important for the dog to know that if it is outside, it won't be abandoned, that after a few minutes you'll be back. It's still loved, important and part of the pack.

To be honest, I think dogs work best in groups from everything I've seen. When they're home alone, they can keep each other company. They learn to be respectful around other dogs. Etc etc.

But you're the one who knows the dog, so what do you think? Am I...barking up the wrong tree :awesome: ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, I walk and play with my dog at the same time. Then I look for a place on which it is possible to throw a stick. It pleases me to see her movements.

ReputationRep:
    Half an hour every day...and as much time running aorund like a mad thing in the back garden as she wants.I live near a massive field but I dont trust the other dogs that go there so I never take her there.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.