Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Will the university still accept me if I get these results? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Entry requirements for a Law LLB are AAA and I was aiming for that until today; Result's Day.

(I'm in A2 by the way).

My English teacher told me that since I've been getting A's consistently and have passed the 160 mark boundary, I'm open for getting an A*. Apparently, I only need to get a B or a C to get an A overall, which means I have a chance of getting an A*, I think!

However, after today's History mark (I got a D in my resit, got a U the first time and an A in another unit exam), I doubt I can get an A. There's just something about History which I don't particularly like and always seem to struggle with, despite finding the exam manageable.

So, I was wondering, due to this change, if I were to get A*AB (English, Law, History respectively) instead in August, will that balance out the AAA requirement?

Realistically, will the universities (Manchester/Lancaster) be okay with this?

ReputationRep:
    Technically, if you don't meed to offer, the university is under no legal obligation to accept you, and some universities tout that they won't accept negotiations in order to prevent people slacking off.

Realistically though, quite a lot of unis (and even more this year I bet, with the fees hike reducing applicants yet again) will be willing to take you with a bit of phone negotiation, but you won't know until you get your final grades in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillJPK)
    Technically, if you don't meed to offer, the university is under no legal obligation to accept you, and some universities tout that they won't accept negotiations in order to prevent people slacking off.

Realistically though, quite a lot of unis (and even more this year I bet, with the fees hike reducing applicants yet again) will be willing to take you with a bit of phone negotiation, but you won't know until you get your final grades in August.
    I knew that already but I'm asking about one grade exceeding the requirement. They want an A and if I got an A* (which is better, obviously), will they be willing to look past my B?

ReputationRep:
    Well as said, they have no obligation- some might and some might not, it really depends on the day! So no, you can't 'balance out' a B with an A* if the offer was for 2 As ?technically? but if the admissions team had a good cup of coffee that morning then they will probably consider it. Naturally there are factors like how popular the course is.

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it if not enough people get the grades they needed to get into a uni meaning that the course isn't full then the uni will look at those who have missed out and may make an offer to some of them. If you got an A* then you would be looked upon more favorably than those who don't but even then there is no guarantee that you will still get in/get an amended offer.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think they should accept you? If you miss the grades it's your fault. You certainly don't deserve to be on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Although most unis give offers with grades, often if you get the equivalent UCAS points they'll still accept you in most cases. So if you have an offer for AAA and you achieve A*AB they'd probably still accept you, especially if you have a strong personal statement.

(P.S. Ignore Azarimanka, they're trolling)

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget those scary folk in admissions are human too. As has been said, there is no obligation for them to accept you. That isn't to say that they'll throw your offer out the window.

They're people too, and they may look beyond the B and be pleased with the A* (it's easier to upgrade from a B to an A than it is from A to A*) and thus give you an offer. If the course is undersubscribed then it's even more likely that you'll get an offer. The fact you got an offer in the first place shows that they're happy to accept you, perhaps enough-so to be lenient, this would depend on how strong your patement was. Last year there was a mini crisis where some Unis found themselves with too few students due to high offers not being met, plus don't forget others will be failing to meet grades. The only thing I can think of which might upset them is the fact your A* wouldn't be in Law, but even so Unis don't even look for that subject at A level these days to enter the course.

Overall, you're still very much an able candidate with everything to play for. It depends on the specific Unis. They will probably accept you, especially the chaps at Lancaster who go out of their way to attract students. Getting in touch with departments and explaining your position could swing either way for you: they may think you're trying to 'cheat' somehow via back hand deals, or they may praise your initiative for consulting them. My advice would be to work hard and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Entry requirements for a Law LLB are AAA and I was aiming for that until today; Result's Day.

(I'm in A2 by the way).

My English teacher told me that since I've been getting A's consistently and have passed the 160 mark boundary, I'm open for getting an A*. Apparently, I only need to get a B or a C to get an A overall, which means I have a chance of getting an A*, I think!

However, after today's History mark (I got a D in my resit, got a U the first time and an A in another unit exam), I doubt I can get an A. There's just something about History which I don't particularly like and always seem to struggle with, despite finding the exam manageable.

So, I was wondering, due to this change, if I were to get A*AB (English, Law, History respectively) instead in August, will that balance out the AAA requirement?

Realistically, will the universities (Manchester/Lancaster) be okay with this?
    Exeter and Cardiff both said they definitely accept equivalent grades, so I assume other top Unis would. My offers technically ABB but I'm aiming for AAC

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster will probably be okay with it, they said on my offer letter last year that the requirements were AAA but they would consider but not automatically accept equivalent grades. On results day last year I got A*AB and they let me in with no fuss.
    I don't know how Manchester will be about it, and it was for a different subject.
    Just try your hardest and aim for the AAA, that way they have no excuse not to let you in.
    I know a couple of people who got AAB and Lancaster let them onto a combined honours Law course.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for the advice - all of you! I very much appreciate it!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.