Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Feeling depressed because got rejected Watch

I'm feeling really depressed because there's this girl at university who I know really well and was (and still am) practically in love with, and for sooo many reasons (I wasn't being delusional - I've discussed this with a friend and he thought she obviously did like me) I thought she felt the same way. So I asked her out on a date, and we went on it, but then 2 days later she told me she just wanted to be friends, and since then she's been avoiding me and its been really awkward.

I've felt really down ever since, and feel like there's no point in anything. I love her, and there is no one else for me. I mean recently on a night out I kissed/danced with/flirted with another girl who would generally be considered more attractive than the girl I love - so its not that I'm unattractive or anything - but its just not the same, there's only one girl for me and she will never be mine...

Term finishes next week and I'll go home, but home is **** - all my friends from home are boring and my family irritate me, so I'm just going to spend a month being depressed.

ReputationRep:
    You don't love her, you love the idea of her.

ReputationRep:
    Try and calm down. I'm in a similar boat to you and I know it sucks and can hurt. Just remember though, you went out and another girl flirted/danced with you, it's not all bad. You seem like a nice bloke and I'm sure you'll find someone else. Until then though, just try to keep yourself busy with studying, read books you enjoy, maybe try a new sport or society, you'll meet new people through them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    there is no one else for me
    Prove it

I pretty much feel the exact same way except that I was rejected around 5 months ago. Have only seen her briefly around 2 or 3 times since then but the obsession still clings on.

I think a previous poster has it spot on, we're in love with what essentially is an illusion. I feel completely awkward and unlike myself around her and yet I still daydream about her constantly, thinking how perfect we'd be together. Doesn't make any sense.

This happened to me. Just don't do what I did and spend the next year spending so much time around said girl, hoping she'll change her mind before finally realising you've got no chance. I'm still hopelessly in love with her but can't just cut her out of my life as we're really good friends. I guarentee you that feels a lot worse than how you are right now.

ReputationRep:
    I know it might feel like the worst thing ever at the moment, but you will get over it/move on eventually - I have been in a similar place before myself, and I know it hurts and it can indeed feel like there's no point to anything any more!! But believe me, rejection never hurts for as long as regret - at least you know you tried, otherwise you might always have been wondering 'what if'.

I agree with this, keeping busy is the best way to distract yourself from feeling depressed
    (Original post by Zenmatters)
    You seem like a nice bloke and I'm sure you'll find someone else. Until then though, just try to keep yourself busy with studying, read books you enjoy, maybe try a new sport or society, you'll meet new people through them.

ReputationRep:
    Dating is pleasure and pain. It is the one area too in my experience where the amount you want something and the efforts you are prepared to go to usually have no impact on your chance of success! New love is the best cure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.