The Student Room Group

Huhne ex-wife Vicky Pryce found GUILTY

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by marcusfox
Marital coercion :wink:

Thanks, I wasn't even close but that's what I love about TSR, where my limited knowledge fails someone else's greater knowledge always succeeds.
Reply 41
Good good, serves the witch right.
Original post by Mess.
I bet she now wishes she had just kept her mouth shut rather than throw a strop because he left her.

I hope it was worth it :congrats:

I wonder if she thought she could bury him and get away scot free herself.

Btw nice sig.
Reply 43
Original post by thunder_chunky

Btw nice sig.

She definitely thought that, trying to frame him for 'marital coercion'.
Original post by thunder_chunky

That seems to be what the emails between her and that reporter are saying.

The marital coercion defence was pretty much clutching at straws, but then she had to because she needed to avoid a conviction to avoid damage to her career as a high flying well paid internationally respected economic adviser.

You don't get to a position like that by being timid or unassuming, and mc would only really apply to a timid and easily bullied person.

Since so many spouses accept speeding points anyway with the minimum of persuasion, it isn;t in the same league as coercing your wife to steal from her employer or hide stolen goods. In other words, one can't say that 'she wouldn't have done such a thing if she hadn't been put under intolerable coercion'

I have a feeling that this part of the law will soon be expunged from the statute book. It was a novel use of the law, it failed and the reason for it being used is an anachronism.

When the law was drafted in the 1920s, I can imagine it would have been quite easy for a jury to accept the notion of a man being the master of the household and quite capable of coercion.

In these days it is quite frankly insulting to women.
Reply 45
Original post by marcusfox
x

I just love your reply posts on this thread :smile:

:five:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending