Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a little confused. In 2011 I did 10 days observing/experience in a state run school. Took a year out. One university has told me that I have to do ANOTHER ten days as they require that your time in a school be within 12 months of the start of the PGCE course. But on some other universities entry requirements page they only say you need at least a "few" days experience and make no mention of any 12 month period. When I asked the first uni about this they said it's an OFSTED requirement, so why don't other universities websites say the same?

ReputationRep:
    It is probably best to ask each university you are interested in as they can differ in what they actually ask for. Some might say in the last 12 months or 18 months. To them 2011 is probably a bit too long ago for you to be able to remember and reflect/discuss what you observed and learnt about teaching so you will probably have to get at least another weeks/two weeks experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    It is probably best to ask each university you are interested in as they can differ in what they actually ask for. Some might say in the last 12 months or 18 months. To them 2011 is probably a bit too long ago for you to be able to remember and reflect/discuss what you observed and learnt about teaching so you will probably have to get at least another weeks/two weeks experience anyway.
    I'm getting another two weeks done. Just find it weird that one insists it's an OFSTED regulation while others seem more lax.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a thing. I don't have any days of experience in a state school, and got offered a place. OFSTED have nothing to do with the training of teachers.

ReputationRep:
    It could be an OFSTED target for that particular ITT to improve their course? Don't forget, they get OFSTED'ed too!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.