Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

bad habits whilst driving that you have noticed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    I see
    But i think it'd take me longer to get going, knowing me I'd be foot on the gas then start wondering why i wasn't getting anywhere haha. Obviously over time if that's the way someone did it, it would become second nature but i'll keep with having it in gear
    I did this a lot (I still do occassionally haha) when I first passed, and it's really embarrassing coz you're expecting to go, and you step on the gas even more, so the engine revs even more :embarrassed:

ReputationRep:
    Smoking

If we can't eat or drink at the wheel why should people be allowed to smoke? It's just as distracting. Can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone nearly crash because they were lighting a cigarette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    I did this a lot (I still do occassionally haha) when I first passed, and it's really embarrassing coz you're expecting to go, and you step on the gas even more, so the engine revs even more :embarrassed:
    haha yeah I've done it before. I hate the sound the revs make lol, my handbrake wasn't holding properly on my way home from uni and i was on a steep hill, so i put loads of revs on, the noise puts me off, i think i have quite a loud engine sound.

When i was learning i couldn't always tell when i had stalled, so i was like why aren't i going then I'd realise :') but at least we're still learning

ReputationRep:
    Never really noticed this until I yesterday (and perhaps I don't even do this often) but when I do turn in the road in a really small road I tend to cross my arms!

Also I let the steering wheel go after a turn so it returns to straight wheels... I don't know where I got the habit from if I'm honest. I even did it during my lessons and on the test.

That's all I can think of that I do... I've posted a few pages ago on what my dad does!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I often find myself leaving my left hand on the gear stick. Take it off when I know that I will need it though. I cross my arms too but I don't necessarily think that that's a bad habit, just something that they don't teach you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm always hyper aware, and critical LOL, of other drivers and I notice bad habits all the time. The mains are:

- Impatience - pulling out too early or when it's not their right of way, over/undertaking or just general impatience.

- Speeding - what's wrong with people?! Speeding down quiet/narrow roads? Speeding while straddling lanes? No flipping need for it.

- Tailgating or not slowing down in time.

- Road rage.

ReputationRep:
    My dad only indicates if its necessary, like if there's cars around. If I started to that I'd forget to indicate all the time. He is a really good driver though.
    He also drives with one hand on the steering wheel, though I also do that so I don't really see it as an issue.
    Letting the wheel spin back through your hands by its self, I do this all the time.
    I like to intimidate people a wee bit so they don't do something stupid, like if there is cars parked on the road and there's just enough space for two cars to get past but you probably shouldn't, I'll go down the middle so no one comes the other way.
    I don't do it but you always get the numpty's that ride their clutch and they can't get it so the car stays in one place so they roll backwards and forwards, and those who rev unnecessarily (not exactly a bad habit but its annoying).
    I also sometimes accidentally leave it in second, the car can start off in second though which is good but I really need to stop doing that and also making sure it's actually in gear before I go.

ReputationRep:
    I see
    But i think it'd take me longer to get going, knowing me I'd be foot on the gas then start wondering why i wasn't getting anywhere haha. Obviously over time if that's the way someone did it, it would become second nature but i'll keep with having it in gear
    Did this on my driving test :/

For some stupid reason, I didn't do what I had always done, usually when I stall, I'd leave it in first, foot down on clutch restart the engine and go, it was just the way id always done and my instructor had never said otherwise

Then on my first test I stalled right and the start, put the car in neutral and tried to move off once restarting, I tried so many times to go and couldn't work out why I wasn't moving, it was on quite a bit of a hill, so I was rolling back too. After a while the examiner said 'it might help if you put the car in gear...'

The first of 3 majors.

Passed my second one though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SortYourLife)
    Did this on my driving test :/

For some stupid reason, I didn't do what I had always done, usually when I stall, I'd leave it in first, foot down on clutch restart the engine and go, it was just the way id always done and my instructor had never said otherwise

Then on my first test I stalled right and the start, put the car in neutral and tried to move off once restarting, I tried so many times to go and couldn't work out why I wasn't moving, it was on quite a bit of a hill, so I was rolling back too. After a while the examiner said 'it might help if you put the car in gear...'

The first of 3 majors.

Passed my second one though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, i think test nerves get to you and you do silly things you never would have done and forget silly things. I was coming to a mini roundabout going straight ahead and i nearly signaled when coming off then i realized i didn't need to lol. But that would have been a mistake i probably wouldn't have done if i wasn't so nervous lol. But at least your passed now

But i actually did something similar today, I was on a roundabout uphill with traffic lights so i put it into what it thought was first, but it was third. So i restarted and tried again but for some strange reason i had gotten third again -.- but i didn't put my handbrake on either so probably didn't help. So i did it again, handbrake on this time, lots of revs and finally got through the lights haha

ReputationRep:
    My friend mentioned a while back that her mum did it too,

There is sometimes when I'm in traffic and can never get my foot off the clutch where my left leg starts to really annoy me but I'd probably mess up if i had to get it in first again and do the handbrake :')
    My mum and dad always put the car into neutral when they stop anywhere and I asked my mum about it and she said that's how driving instructors used to teach pupils back in the 70's/80's and actually that her instructor once shouted at her for leaving the car in 1st when she was waiting at some traffic lights!

I always put my car into first gear when I've stopped for a short while, I'd more than likely forget that I was in neutral and try to pull away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    My mum and dad always put the car into neutral when they stop anywhere and I asked my mum about it and she said that's how driving instructors used to teach pupils back in the 70's/80's and actually that her instructor once shouted at her for leaving the car in 1st when she was waiting at some traffic lights!

I always put my car into first gear when I've stopped for a short while, I'd more than likely forget that I was in neutral and try to pull away
    Yeah I've herd that people do it because that's they way they were taught, i wonder what they'll be teaching in a good couple of years from now, although im not sure there is many other ways of doing it tho aha

But that's the exact reason i can't do it, I'd definitely forget, I'd probably think my car was broken haha :')

ReputationRep:
    Bad habits that I have (occasionally)

1) Talking to passengers and being distracted with gadgets like the radio
    2) Not using turn signals when no one is around
    3) Not sure if this is bad but I put the car in neutral going downhill sometimes
    4) I might take my feet away from the pedals sometimes.
    5) Rarely it has happened that I accelerate instead of braking and then I have to quickly correct it.
    6) Some people have told me that its unsafe to drive in heels but I do this fairly often as I am used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I use the worst language imaginable and according to me mostother drivers are ***K**S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeegirl)
    I have noticed that my dad is lazy with his signals ....what are the bad habits that you have noticed in parents/friends relatives that have already passed?
    My Mum tends to drive really close to one side and never want to stay in a lane! Annoys the hell out of me!

ReputationRep:
    I was sat in quite slow traffic earlier and saw a woman going past me looking down at her nails and not paying attention to what was happening ahead and she had to slam the brakes on as she nearly rear-ended the guy in front of her.

I don't know if it's because I've only just recently passed my test but I can't imagine driving forwards and not looking where I'm going and checking out my nails instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    I was sat in quite slow traffic earlier and saw a woman going past me looking down at her nails and not paying attention to what was happening ahead and she had to slam the brakes on as she nearly rear-ended the guy in front of her.

I don't know if it's because I've only just recently passed my test but I can't imagine driving forwards and not looking where I'm going and checking out my nails instead.
    You probably exaggerated the slamming the brakes part, I'm sure she wouldn't do that if she could not see ahead. But I can't imagine looking sideways into a car passing you and focusing down on the the drivers hands and eyes to notice that she was admiring her nails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    You probably exaggerated the slamming the brakes part, I'm sure she wouldn't do that if she could not see ahead. But I can't imagine looking sideways into a car passing you and focusing down on the the drivers hands and eyes to notice that she was admiring her nails.
    The woman probably had her hands on the wheel so when looking from another car it would actually be fairly easy to see she was looking at her nails/hands. Also if she says the person slammed on their brakes, why would you instantly not believe her and say she's lying ?

For someone who's let their sister illegally drive their car and is probably going to lie about it to the police ( committing another illegal offence ) you're pretty judgmental of others driving aren't you.

ReputationRep:
    Off all habits that **** me off I'd say sneezing on the steering wheel has to be the worst thing.

Don't people get taught to cover their ****ing mouths when they sneeze, from the age of 3?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCLeblanc)
    Well I've tried it, and with a bit of practise it's not as hard as you'd think (and before anyone asks he drives a normal right hand drive car with a normal manual gearbox).
    Does he only have a right arm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Signalling is a big one.
    You are taught to signal constantly when learning to drive. But some peoples signalling has gone straight out the window since passing. Its not that hard to do. Indicators arent optional extras, they are there for a reason. People not signalling often means that me and other drivers are left to just guess where people are going. Or theres the people who wont signal on occasions when they need to (like going round a roundabout, turning left/right etc), but going round a bend on a road- they will decide to signal.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.