Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am (Grades permitting) going to LSE to study politics and philosophy this year, with an offer of AAA. I have an offer from Manchester (AAB) for PPE as my insurance, so I need to get at least AAB this year to go to uni. Anyway, last year I got AAAA in politics, philosophy, history and English lit: I was a typical arts student, with no clue about maths. So this year, I picked up AS maths to help with my PPE applications. In receiving my results today - an A in politics, but more crucially only 37 marks, or a U, in maths, I'm not quite sure what to do.

Do i decide to drop maths (safe in the knowledge that I have no natural aptitude in the subject, and will probably never do very well), carry on with my three A2 subjects and use my new found free time to try and get my predicted grades (A*A*A)? Or do I resit the U in C1, hope to do a lot better in the summer, and hopefully come out with the A I wanted, but possibly at the risk of somewhat neglecting my A2 studies?

Any advice would be amazingly appreciated, as I have no idea what to do at all!

ReputationRep:
    Is getting an AS in maths any benefit to you other than being able to say you've done it? I'm guessing none of your offers need it? C1 and C2 are usually a similar difficulty, but depending on what applied module you choose it could get more difficult. Having said that, I know people who got a U in C1 then turned it round to Bs in the resit and June exam, only 6 months later - they did put a lot of work into it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack976)
    Is getting an AS in maths any benefit to you other than being able to say you've done it? I'm guessing none of your offers need it? C1 and C2 are usually a similar difficulty, but depending on what applied module you choose it could get more difficult. Having said that, I know people who got a U in C1 then turned it round to Bs in the resit and June exam, only 6 months later - they did put a lot of work into it though.
    I guess it would be useful for economics if I did end up missing my LSE offer and going to Manchester, but beyond that not particularly. I only really did it because originally 3/5 of the courses i applied to were PPE, but in the end i realised I'd rather not be doing economics. I'm just reluctant to have wasted 5 hours a week, plus numerous hours in homework, for a subject I will never complete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessica7022)
    I guess it would be useful for economics if I did end up missing my LSE offer and going to Manchester, but beyond that not particularly. I only really did it because originally 3/5 of the courses i applied to were PPE, but in the end i realised I'd rather not be doing economics. I'm just reluctant to have wasted 5 hours a week, plus numerous hours in homework, for a subject I will never complete.
    A levels maths isn't really used much in economics but I only study one module in it. Its mainly graphs so as long as your slightly competent you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i cant answer your question but could you answer mine?? I am in year 11 at the moment and just chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and psychology for a levels with the hope of doing medicine. how hard is maths? i think i might manage to scrape an A at GCSE but im worried it'll be too much with bio & chem..? i dont have a natural ability in maths, i really have to work but since september i have come from a D/E grade to now an A grade ... thoughts on maths a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Hills)
    Hi, i cant answer your question but could you answer mine?? I am in year 11 at the moment and just chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and psychology for a levels with the hope of doing medicine. how hard is maths? i think i might manage to scrape an A at GCSE but im worried it'll be too much with bio & chem..? i dont have a natural ability in maths, i really have to work but since september i have come from a D/E grade to now an A grade ... thoughts on maths a level?
    I don't know if it's the same everywhere but people I know who were getting mid/low A grades at GCSE are getting around B grades at AS and B/C grades at A2. I took Chemistry AS and the people who didn't take maths were struggling with parts... it's not that the AS Maths syllabus comes up, it's just you need to be competent with rearranging equations etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's the same everywhere but people I know who were getting mid/low A grades at GCSE are getting around B grades at AS and B/C grades at A2. I took Chemistry AS and the people who didn't take maths were struggling with parts... it's not that the AS Maths syllabus comes up, it's just you need to be competent with rearranging equations etc.
    Yeah i have heard that it can be challenging without maths. I think i shall stick with my choices just because they are safest. Out of interest, what have you taken..?

ReputationRep:
    Well grades permitting I'll be going to either Oxford or Cambridge to study CompSci (only applying for one of course, but depending on resits I can apply for either) and today I've discovered my result for Maths. It was extremely disappointing, and Maths I would say IS the hardest A-Level. Not to discourage you from it, but most people got U's and some of the highest were in the range of D-C. And this is the grading for MD01 (Decision Maths) supposedly being one of the easiest modules you could possibly do for Maths at AS.

Just to note, everyone did well in the exam but because of this the exam board upped their marking criteria once again. The board we done the exam with was AQA.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have heard that it can be challenging without maths. I think i shall stick with my choices just because they are safest. Out of interest, what have you taken..?
    Even if you just take it for AS, it's always something good to have and getting an A at GCSE it would be surprising if you didn't get a decent grade

I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry last year, and dropped Chemistry for A2... studying Maths at Uni next year as well

I don't think you can say Maths is the hardest A Level though, it all depends on you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    A levels maths isn't really used much in economics but I only study one module in it. Its mainly graphs so as long as your slightly competent you will be fine.
    You use loads of maths in economics, to the point where the top five expect A*A+ in Maths + Further Maths A-level.

(Original post by Pirus)
    Well grades permitting I'll be going to either Oxford or Cambridge to study CompSci
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you just take it for AS, it's always something good to have and getting an A at GCSE it would be surprising if you didn't get a decent grade

I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry last year, and dropped Chemistry for A2... studying Maths at Uni next year as well

I don't think you can say Maths is the hardest A Level though, it all depends on you.
    Oh thats good to know, yeah well like i said im no genius in maths and i havent got a natural ability but im willing to work hard!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.