Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Today i received my first AS grade...not what i was expecting. However the subject that the grade is in, i am dropping in A2 so will the bad grades this year affect my university application? For example my grade today came back as an E. I am re-sitting but if it still comes back as a bad grade, will it count toward my 3 A-Levels for university or will it be "ignored" somewhat?

ReputationRep:
    Universities will take into account all of your grades, at AS and GCSE, as well as, perhaps even more so, your personal statement, extra-curriccular stuff etc.

Generally your three chosen subjects' grades/predictions and the strength of your personal statement will be the swingers in this case, although if it comes to differentiating strong candidates then it could be considered against you.

Don't get too caught up with the E. The scary folks at Admissions will base their decision on how well you come across in your personal statement, and whether or not there is evidence that you can live up to expectations grade-wise. Sadly you may have to settle for a less stringent Uni (so choose a range of Uni 'levels' in your application), but don't consign yourself to failure. It's all a game of dice, so work hard, sell yourself in your statement, get it all sent off early and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    Today i received my first AS grade...not what i was expecting. However the subject that the grade is in, i am dropping in A2 so will the bad grades this year affect my university application? For example my grade today came back as an E. I am re-sitting but if it still comes back as a bad grade, will it count toward my 3 A-Levels for university or will it be "ignored" somewhat?
    some uni's look at AS grades that weren't taken to ALevel. but if you have your required grades (e.g AAB) then an E won't bring the points down.

ReputationRep:
    Your 3 full A Levels are what is counted towards your UCAS Points.

Your AS won't be ignored as they will see it on the application but it's not counted towards your points.

ReputationRep:
    I've said this loads of times today but it might make you feel better. I had D at AS and still got offers from some top uni's so if you can get good grades in the other subjects it might not matter that much, however this can be dependent on subject so try and do as well in your retakes if you can.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an E at AS and got 4/5 of her offers for unis asking between AAA and ABB. She got AAC in her other 3 subjects.

Another friend of mine got BBCE at AS and got 5 AAB offers
    It depends on other aspects of your application too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, you have made me feel better! I think the shock of A-Levels has literally hit me in the face

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.