Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Migration to the UK - why can't international students stay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It just seems so baffling and unfair to me that hundreds of thousands of unskilled workers from Eastern Europe can simply migrate to Britain so easily and without any barriers. Some live in public benefits and hardly contribute to the economy.

I just think it is SO unfair that, as an international student, I will have to leave Britain as soon as I graduate, unless I am some valuable engineer with a PhD or earning millions of pounds. We international students spend on average £100,000 for our degree programmes, travel thousands of miles away from our home countries and of course we make a substantial contribution to Britain's universities. By the time we leave uni, we are skilled, entrepreneurial graduates and yet we cannot stay in the UK or even get any job or internship and thousands of Europeans with no skills or qualifications are free to settle here.

Britain, please sort out your immigration policies!

ReputationRep:
    Well, surely that applies to the whole of the EU, not Britain in particular? It's no secret that Britain is unhappy with the 'free movement' laws of the EU. These 'unskilled workers' are migrating from within the EU, so I don't actually think they're migrating as such? Someone correct me on this?

While it may seem unfair, it's the EU that has caused this not Britain in particular.

However, I don't see what is stopping you getting a job in the UK after you graduate? If you are willing to find a company who can sponsor you to do this?

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to apply for immigration, although depending on where you are, you might need a visa.

We've had problems with foreign students, namely third worlders, using student visas to illegally immigrate here after supposedly attending so called 'universities' like London Met.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.