Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

what should i do when i revised so hard but didnt get what i wanted Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    thats what i dont know and i want to change my revision technique
    talk to your teacher who knows you, not wanna sound rude now but a stranger over the internet cant assess your tech as well as sim1 in real life can x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoSewSusanna)
    talk to your teacher who knows you, not wanna sound rude now but a stranger over the internet cant assess your tech as well as sim1 in real life can x
    that true i shall speak to my teacher ps thanks so much for the advise and your help

ReputationRep:
    that very true but do you think that it would be possible for me to get from U to an A
    I went from a U in january to a B overall for chemistry as. Possible but you have to work hard and really effectively

ReputationRep:
    that true i shall speak to my teacher ps thanks so much for the advise and your help
    thats alright and good luck. Much of it has to do with attitude and commitment. Get that sorted and it all becomes ok from there. It takes a while to find out what suits you but when you find it its totally worth it x

ReputationRep:
    that very true but do you think that it would be possible for me to get from U to an A
    that all depends on your ability. I obviously don't know you. At the end of the day, learn from your mistakes, and you will improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    I went from a U in january to a B overall for chemistry as. Possible but you have to work hard and really effectively
    wow is it ps did you change your revision technique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    that all depends on your ability. I obviously don't know you. At the end of the day, learn from your mistakes, and you will improve.
    true and thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    true and thanks but i don't no an effective way that would suit me and would get me the highest grades
    There is no easy way. If you could get As and A* with little work everyone would. Noone, and I mean NO-ONE, has ever done nothing to get As/A*, despite what they say, and what you've heard. If it's too good to be true, it is.

It's just loads and loads of hard work, and it looks like you can put in that work. I, at the beginning of AS got a U and a E, and to be frank I did totally crap all. Now today, I come out with 195/200 at Geography A2, with A* overall. You have to be willing to put hours into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_7j...-uKbqw&index=8

This video is fantastic, but it only works when you have time on your side.

You don't know what technique works and what doesn't? That's because you've never tried every single technique, no-one has. That isn't an excuse for anything. You try something, you come out with good results, or bad results. What you know now, is that the technique you've just used is bad technique. For me, I do these things for every exam.

1) Specification, you organize your notes to every bullet and every part of the specification, the specification is your map. This is what you have to learn, stick to it.

2) After you know everything, you can begin to apply the knowledge to exam papers, and that's just doing questions and questions over and over until you are sick.

3) This is the most important point, bot h 1 and 2 are completely pointless without this, this is the difference between a B and full marks with my experience in Geography. You have to understand the exam, what do they want you to write here, what do they want you to do, do they want you to be a little ambitious, take a few ideas from out of the box. I went into my A2 Geography exam in summer 2012, and got 84/120, when I walked into the exam in Jan 2013, I came out with 120/120. I knew nothing more, and my writing wasn't necessarily better, I just KNEW what the examiner wanted from me. This whole third point is more applicable to A2, rather than AS however.

Practice does not make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoSewSusanna)
    thats alright and good luck. Much of it has to do with attitude and commitment. Get that sorted and it all becomes ok from there. It takes a while to find out what suits you but when you find it its totally worth it x
    i will and thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    I'm not being mean but I don't think that is actually possible. No one jumps from As to Es.
    It is possible, in AS Psychology I was getting A's on every homework, got a high A on the mock exam, came out of the actual exam thinking it went ok. Come results day I got a low D.

ReputationRep:
    im in the same position. its just silly mistakes that cost me ALOT. i recently realised that a-level exams are mostly about being precise and not getting anything easy wrong.

ReputationRep:
    wow is it ps did you change your revision technique
    Yess. I stopped revising at home,more detailed notes and I changed my attitude. What drove me to work hardet was to prove people wrong but I should have done it for myself. I went on a revision course too. Also I worked whilst everyone else was sleeping and got a timetable. Down to the individual.

However, I backslided this January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acedlol)
    There is no easy way. If you could get As and A* with little work everyone would. Noone, and I mean NO-ONE, has ever done nothing to get As/A*, despite what they say, and what you've heard. If it's too good to be true, it is.

It's just loads and loads of hard work, and it looks like you can put in that work. I, at the beginning of AS got a U and a E, and to be frank I did totally crap all. Now today, I come out with 195/200 at Geography A2, with A* overall. You have to be willing to put hours into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_7j...-uKbqw&index=8

This video is fantastic, but it only works when you have time on your side.

You don't know what technique works and what doesn't? That's because you've never tried every single technique, no-one has. That isn't an excuse for anything. You try something, you come out with good results, or bad results. What you know now, is that the technique you've just used is bad technique. For me, I do these things for every exam.

1) Specification, you organize your notes to every bullet and every part of the specification, the specification is your map. This is what you have to learn, stick to it.

2) After you know everything, you can begin to apply the knowledge to exam papers, and that's just doing questions and questions over and over until you are sick.

3) This is the most important point, bot h 1 and 2 are completely pointless without this, this is the difference between a B and full marks with my experience in Geography. You have to understand the exam, what do they want you to write here, what do they want you to do, do they want you to be a little ambitious, take a few ideas from out of the box. I went into my A2 Geography exam in summer 2012, and got 84/120, when I walked into the exam in Jan 2013, I came out with 120/120. I knew nothing more, and my writing wasn't necessarily better, I just KNEW what the examiner wanted from me. This whole third point is more applicable to A2, rather than AS however.

Practice does not make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

I hope this helps.

wow thank you so much for taking you time and giveing me this advise and its so true and i will act upon this advise ps thanks again for the advise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Yess. I stopped revising at home,more detailed notes and I changed my attitude. What drove me to work hardet was to prove people wrong but I should have done it for myself. I went on a revision course too. Also I worked whilst everyone else was sleeping and got a timetable. Down to the individual.

However, I backslided this January
    that is what i want to do prove people wrong and show them that i am capable of achieving the high grades. ps how many hours would you do a day

ReputationRep:
    You're doing essay subjects so a good thing for you to do would be make sure you understand the content and can link it all together. Download the specification from the exam board website and go through each thing individually, don't write it down, speak it aloud. It will help you make the connections clearer in your head. Say the point/question aloud the say everything you can think of that goes with it. If you can do this with a friend who also does the subject that's better because they can tell you things you missed, extra things to consider other links you may have missed.

For GCSE history our teacher gave us Key questions so I spent an evening going through each one, set a timer of 5 minutes to answer the question aloud and talked through everything I could think of related to the topic in the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrbrox)
    You're doing essay subjects so a good thing for you to do would be make sure you understand the content and can link it all together. Download the specification from the exam board website and go through each thing individually, don't write it down, speak it aloud. It will help you make the connections clearer in your head. Say the point/question aloud the say everything you can think of that goes with it. If you can do this with a friend who also does the subject that's better because they can tell you things you missed, extra things to consider other links you may have missed.

For GCSE history our teacher gave us Key questions so I spent an evening going through each one, set a timer of 5 minutes to answer the question aloud and talked through everything I could think of related to the topic in the question.

thank so much for the advise

ReputationRep:
    the real question here is, are you learning?

if you spend your revision time learning and memorizing what you learnt you will at least get a C.

this includes learning:
    theory
    exam technique
    definitions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldudeman)
    im in the same position. its just silly mistakes that cost me ALOT. i recently realised that a-level exams are mostly about being precise and not getting anything easy wrong.
    same ps so true about the little mistakes which are the ones that get you the low mark

ReputationRep:
    The exact same thing happened to me last year. I worked really hard and didn't get the grades I wanted. My advice would be to identify why you lost your marks. Was it because you didn't knoe the stuff, or was it your exam technique? These are the things you need to ask yourself and work on them to put it right. I got my resit results back, and they were much improved. Still a few that i need to retake again that were on the A/B B/C boundary but hey, that's life. The most important thing is to never lose faith, you can and will do well, if you are determined and driven enough to make amends for the exams next time

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me I got a U in biology even tho I revised so much like loads

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.