Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

what should i do when i revised so hard but didnt get what i wanted Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do History, English Lit, English Language and Theatre Studies ad after today's results (none of mine - I didn't sit any exams) I genuinely feel so worried that I'm going to fail! I know I shouldn't base my results on what others have got but people who I expected to do exceedingly well got C's so now I feel like I have to be realistic and set myself targets like Ds?! I've been getting As and Bs mainly in essays etc but I'm still worried I'm going to be in for a shock in August.
    Anyone feeling the same way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    it's so unfair i proper revised and didn't get what i wanted
    This has happened to me so many times, and most of the time it is because you are revising, a lot, but incorrectly. It's not to say you didn't put in enough work to get what you wanted, rather the way you have been revising isn't correct.

Like someone else said, buy your paper, see where you went wrong. Revision strategy is everything. I went from getting E's and U's in English Literature (I revised really hard, and I was so confused because I wasn't even terrible at English), to then changing my revision strategy, and now I have an overall A.

Ask your teacher for tips on revision strategies, some people write lots of notes for revision, other people find it easier to make posters (like myself) and some people even record themselves saying stuff and play it back over and over again. It's about what suits you, but make sure you are sticking to the specification because maybe that's where you are making mistakes.

Good luck for next time

ReputationRep:
    i wanted to give up but then i though if i did then i would never be able to become a lawyer.
    Reading you posts made me feel like I was reading the progriss reports in "flowers for algernon" again

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I received my a-levels results today and was not happy with them however I revised my ass off for these exams yet I didn't get the grades I wanted. i really dont know what to do any more and my teacher was saying that i need to change my revision techniques but i dont know how to.
    same with you when I revise for my english in gcse (:| I spent ages to revise but get a D =.= hmmm but now i realize that work smarter is much better than harder xD
    try to do mind map and forcus on each topic XD it would help girl x

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same problem!
    Worked mega mega hard and was told there was no way I wasn't getting an A!
    Ended up with a C.

Turns out I had made loads of silly mistakes- so make sure you read the questions!
    Also, do past paper questions to death.
    It works.
    True Story! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    I'm not being mean but I don't think that is actually possible. No one jumps from As to Es.
    Nope, a guy in my Maths group was predicted A's in Maths and physics, achieved that in the mocks, and came out with E's today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettygeek)
    Nope, a guy in my Maths group was predicted A's in Maths and physics, achieved that in the mocks, and came out with E's today.
    maths is different to politics. you can get your calculations wrong and all kinds of things.
    if you revised 4 hours a day, you would know most of the key facts for politics. You could pretty much just write these facts down, add a tiny bit of analysis, and you'd get a D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCat94)
    This has happened to me so many times, and most of the time it is because you are revising, a lot, but incorrectly. It's not to say you didn't put in enough work to get what you wanted, rather the way you have been revising isn't correct.

Like someone else said, buy your paper, see where you went wrong. Revision strategy is everything. I went from getting E's and U's in English Literature (I revised really hard, and I was so confused because I wasn't even terrible at English), to then changing my revision strategy, and now I have an overall A.

Ask your teacher for tips on revision strategies, some people write lots of notes for revision, other people find it easier to make posters (like myself) and some people even record themselves saying stuff and play it back over and over again. It's about what suits you, but make sure you are sticking to the specification because maybe that's where you are making mistakes.

Good luck for next time
    wow that is soo good and well done on the A and yeah i do need to change the way i revise and thanks for the advise.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a U, and you supposedly tried really hard,, then you don't understand exam technique at all

ReputationRep:
    If you only revised what your teachers taught you that may have been the problem. I can't speak for your teachers but I know mine didn't teach me everything so I made sure I learned everything in the books. Also did you do many past papers? Because I find that doing past papers is what enabled me to reach the high grades.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between grades at a-level are so small, simply because of the weight of each question.
    I got two marks off an E in my AS geography test, simply because I didn't know one question. After re-taking with no extra revision whatsoever, this soon turned to a high A.
    You just have to make sure your prepared for whatever question, and if you dont know a question in the exam, spend more time on it.

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna lie, I completely tanked through my exams and destroyed them. Well on my way to meeting my Cambridge offer. If you're finding it tough, I suggest perhaps hiring a private tutor, I did and it's worked wonders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    If you get a U, and you supposedly tried really hard,, then you don't understand exam technique at all
    It's nothing to do with not understanding exam technique, it's using the wrong technique. You could write an excellent essay but if it doesn't actually answer the question you would get a U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCat94)
    It's nothing to do with not understanding exam technique, it's using the wrong technique. You could write an excellent essay but if it doesn't actually answer the question you would get a U
    Using the wrong exam technique is not understanding exam technique, and essay wouldn't be excellent if it didn't answer the question. You logic is wrong

ReputationRep:
    i would just learn from the books and near to the exams i would do the past papers and essays. ps after college i would revise at least for 4 hours
    how much you do at a time? You should have a 15 minute break for every hour of revision, doing any longer at one point wont be very effective

ReputationRep:
    Using the wrong exam technique is not understanding exam technique, and essay wouldn't be excellent if it didn't answer the question. You logic is wrong
    An essay can be excellent, even if it doesn't answer the question... do you even know what you are talking about? It can be an excellent essay about the rise of Atheism for example, but if the question asks to discuss the rise of Atheism in contrast to another religion, your essay is wrong, but that doesn't mean your essay is ****.
    It's funny how my logic can be wrong when I have the A Level grades AAA from all three essay based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I REVISED FOR 6 HOURS EVERYDAY AND I STILL ENDED UP WITH E's, U's and C's...

how do you think i feel? i feel terrible, gutted and i have no idea what to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    I REVISED FOR 6 HOURS EVERYDAY AND I STILL ENDED UP WITH E's, U's and C's...

how do you think i feel? i feel terrible, gutted and i have no idea what to do?
    There must be something wrong with how you revise

How do you revise?

ReputationRep:
    There must be something wrong with how you revise

How do you revise?
    first of all i read everything from the book, then i do every single question until i have mastered the technique to an accuracy of 85%....then i do more questions!!

then i do every single past paper these is and get very high scores such as As and Bs....

so i dunno where i have gone wrong?

also i understand 90% of every topic i am taught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    first of all i read everything from the book, then i do every single question until i have mastered the technique to an accuracy of 85%....then i do more questions!!

then i do every single past paper these is and get very high scores such as As and Bs....

so i dunno where i have gone wrong?

also i understand 90% of every topic i am taught
    Make sure you know 100% of the stuff is all you can do I suppose

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.