Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I really hope the grade boundaries for this paper aren't too high. I feel fairly confident, but made some stupid mistakes as usual... :/ :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone do for the plant fibre experiment question? I found it slightly weird, given that it was asking how the equipment would be used/set up to make a valid comparison between fibres, rather than just asking for a method for the whole experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawai)
    What did everyone do for the plant fibre experiment question? I found it slightly weird, given that it was asking how the equipment would be used/set up to make a valid comparison between fibres, rather than just asking for a method for the whole experiment.
    You basically had to describe the whole experiment but also suggest that you use the same length, age and sex of fibre...get a mean average for each fibre, standard deviation perhaps and plot it on a line graph..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    You basically had to describe the whole experiment but also suggest that you use the same length, age and sex of fibre...get a mean average for each fibre, standard deviation perhaps and plot it on a line graph..
    I included most of that ...but just found it weird as it asked specifically about what we'd do with the apparatus -found it tricky to work out exactly what they wanted ...(could think of a few points specifically to do with it, like keeping the stands equidistant..but idk) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think i misunderstood the ferrets last question - did anyone else write about the number of prairie dogs, number of farmers using poison and how large the area of prairie habitat is..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildyoungheartsx)
    I think i misunderstood the ferrets last question - did anyone else write about the number of prairie dogs, number of farmers using poison and how large the area of prairie habitat is..?
    Haha my answer was exactly the same ...Really hope we're right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawai)
    Haha my answer was exactly the same ...Really hope we're right!
    i did the same.

ReputationRep:
    The question was, Suggest what factors they would consider when releasing them back into the wild.
    I said consider amount of Prairie dogs, the amount of prairie grassland (or whatever it was) present, and the amount of farmers nearby who use poison... so basically the same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevsamuel)
    The question on "mRNA synthesis on pollen tube growth". One of the questions was that some chemical inhibits mRNA, explain how this can effect the pollen tube length.

Is it along the lines of since mRNA is inhibits and can't transcribe and make the enzyme (which is a protein) which is necessary for the pollen tube nuclei as it releases enzymes to make the pollen tube?
    I don't remember this question...? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benyp7)
    I don't remember this question...? :/
    It was like, some weird chemical (forgot the name) inhibits mRNA synthesis. Suggest the effect this would have on pollen tube growth. (2)

ReputationRep:
    can any one upload the paper.that will end lots of debates.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody happen to get a paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    At first i put cytokinesis but then i thought lol what it doesnt make sense

So then i put interphase
    That's exactly what I did. I explained both of them and decided interphase seemed the most appropriate because the arrow from Z was only pointing to one cell and not the cell next to it as well :///

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATemple96)
    That's exactly what I did. I explained both of them and decided interphase seemed the most appropriate because the arrow from Z was only pointing to one cell and not the cell next to it as well :///
    My reasoning was that I remembered interphase as the preliminary phase to mitosis and as the cell looked normal it must be going the g1 g2 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can anyone put up the unofficial mark scheme. And if there already is one could you put up a link please

ReputationRep:
    Recent grade boundaries:

A B
    Jan 2013 64 60
    June 2012 61 56
    Jan 2012 64 60
    June 2011 59 54

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think if the cell was in cytokinesis they would have made it clearer? I think a majority of my school said interphase with a few saying cytokinsis I said interphase so hope that's right. Bit unfair putting 4/5 (?) marks on a question that's unclear.

Overall I found it okayish.. easier than Jan 13 but I know I've made quite a few mistakes. Hopefully I've only made the mistakes I know about and not missed out marks due to stupidity.. might still be in with a chance of an A.

Doubt boundaries will be as high as Jan but maybe 62ish for an A? I think that's reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingamo)
    I feel ya bro, data questions seem like the ones most easiest to lose marks on because the mark schemes can be picky! That is where I lost marks in unit 1
    Also, it doesn't discriminate between those who revised and those who didn't, which forces the grade boundaries up

Grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a copy of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Woese's question I wrote about molecular phylogeny and phylogeny! Not peer review :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.