Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huma95)
    Got unit 2 unit 4 and unit 5 biology and it's all happening so fast! Need more time to revise for unit 2 and do a lot of exam papers! Hope it goes well as no more retakes :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same here

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain what happens in each stage of Interphase?? (G1, G2 and S)

ReputationRep:
    hi
    does anyone know what i need to get in this exam to get an A overall?
    I have 60 raw mark for Unit 1(B) and 39/40 for coursework (A).
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Could someone please explain what happens in each stage of Interphase?? (G1, G2 and S)
    Gap Phase 1: growth and production of organelles and proteins. Synthesis: The DNA and organelles replicate. Gap Phase 2: There is continued growth and the proteins needed for divisions are made. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student55)
    hi
    does anyone know what i need to get in this exam to get an A overall?
    I have 60 raw mark for Unit 1(B) and 39/40 for coursework (A).
    Thank you!
    how many ums marks was your unit 1?
    for the coursework its about 58 ums if you got 39, and you need 240 ums overall out of 300. to get an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got a C on the may 2012 paper it's quite promising considering the fact that the lastest papers are the hardest and I've still got quite a but to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have some notes on Unit 2 that i think can really benifit people .. but i do not know how to put the up here .. can anyone help out thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Alright, after revising biology and taking notes to the point where I've almost become mentally unstable, the notes are done.

These are all mark schemes either taken from Edexcel papers, ranging from 2001 all the way till 2013. Some topics were taken from other exam boards because there weren't questions in the (recent) past papers for Edexcel regarding them. Others were taken from mark schemes in books. Some may find this useless some helpful, but I hope you all make good use of these!

Please note that whilst this should cover the majority of topics, it doesn't cover everything! There are some things that are mentioned in the official Edexcel textbook that I was unable to re-create in mark scheme form because I couldn't really find any - one of them is epistasis. Furthermore they don't cover HSW so you'll have to practice and revise from the official Edexcel book for that. Lastly, while I did include diagrams relevant to the topic not every single is included. Don't rely on this solely!

Let me know if you guys want something important added...
    I freaking
    Love u! U just made my day! Thanx alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Interphase:
    Mitosis is where the cycle begins
    Gap phase 1 - cell grows (new organelles made)
    Synthesis - cell replicates DNA
    Gap phase 2 -
    Cells keep growing so enough proteins made for cell division to take place - hope this helps (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha Realest)
    True Say :sigh:
    I guess we need to move on now and smash the second exam! Having said that, I think that this one will be rubbish too :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali Talib)
    I have some notes on Unit 2 that i think can really benifit people .. but i do not know how to put the up here .. can anyone help out thank you
    At the top of the thred, click 'reply to thread'. When you do, you should see a sort of paper clip icon, click on that and upload it (make sure you scroll to the right and click upload) then that's pretty much it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kawai)
    Gap Phase 1: growth and production of organelles and proteins. Synthesis: The DNA and organelles replicate. Gap Phase 2: There is continued growth and the proteins needed for divisions are made. Hope this helps

(Original post by huma95)
    Interphase:
    Mitosis is where the cycle begins
    Gap phase 1 - cell grows (new organelles made)
    Synthesis - cell replicates DNA
    Gap phase 2 -
    Cells keep growing so enough proteins made for cell division to take place - hope this helps (:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    i thought meiosis is to produce the gametes and happems before fertilistion. but in the book it says the second division of meiosis occurs once the sperm nucleus is presnt within the cytoplasm,.can someone explain this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherindigo)
    I guess we need to move on now and smash the second exam! Having said that, I think that this one will be rubbish too :/
    Best of luck

Despite the rubbish > unit 1 exam ...

We will have to let it go and move on.

Let me know it goes ~ Good Luck :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Is the glycogen granules and lipid droplets in prokaryotic cells for food-storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubyturner94)
    i thought meiosis is to produce the gametes and happems before fertilistion. but in the book it says the second division of meiosis occurs once the sperm nucleus is presnt within the cytoplasm,.can someone explain this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're book's wrong. The nucleus in the sperm cell is already haploid, it won't undergo another division

(Original post by JRN-95)
    Is the glycogen granules and lipid droplets in prokaryotic cells for food-storage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are! Glycogen is the storage of glucose which is released for respiration and lipid droplets, well store lipids I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    You're book's wrong. The nucleus in the sperm cell is already haploid, it won't undergo another division
    Hey mate, in the RED SNAB book it does state this under the stages of fertilisation so I don't believe it is wrong, but I'm not sure. ( this in regards of the "second stage of meiosis comment" )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)
    Hey mate, in the RED SNAB book it does state this under the stages of fertilisation so I don't believe it is wrong, but I'm not sure. ( this in regards of the "second stage of meiosis comment" )
    H
    i guys i saw your post was mentioning using the snab text book id like to point some things which is does not mention that you may need in your exams i have the orange snab text book and the role of stem cell regulation authorities is not good enough and to the point, check mark schemes also they ask you in the exam to mention the structure of various cell organelles the text book doesnt really show that in detail i think or each specific function. I have seen the structure of a seed in the book but nowhere in the syllubus has it been mentioned you need to know the structure of a seed , scleren chyma fibres and xylem are things you need to learn very well btu i have heard some people learning about the pholoem and parenchyma etc agauin i havent seen a question on it or it being part of the syllubus. For experiments please refer to examiner reports and marking schemes no book or sheet from snab tells u clearly what to do finally i just wanted to hand over a tip that check the definitions very carefully i can send u a compiled list if you people want ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)
    Meiosis occurs in the ovary and the testes which form haploid structures, the sperm cell contains a haploid nucleus, so I'm wondering how it's able to divide again even though it alrady contains half the number of chromosomes of a normal body cell. I don't have that book, but I'm pretty sure meiosis is complete before the sperm even leaves the male, then again, maybe I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    My compilation of some definitions
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Key definitions for biology.docx (15.8 KB, 149 views)

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.