Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Yea I dig it now
    Moment of madness!!!

So as pluripotent cells can't differentiate into certain cell types those genes are switched off!
    Thanks!
    It's okay! Good luck with the exam
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by StephenNaulls)
    It's okay! Good luck with the exam
    Haha , thanks you too! How did you do in January, feeling confident about unit 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Atieh)
    lets take ur opinion:
    many people said that going through the notes on this forum and papers from 2009-2013 will be enough for A...do u agree?
    Understanding is probably key for an A, let alone more than 96 ums.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by CoolRunner)
    Understanding is probably key for an A, let alone more than 96 ums.
    That and knowing the Mark scheme, to some extent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yarshad)
    So confused. DNA begins to increase? that's after 5 hours isn't it? :L it finishes increasing at 10 hours

?????? the X axis states the time in hours? :L

What???
    7.5??
    sorry mean the y axis
    it starts rising from 7.5, this is when dna replication has started and finishes at 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That and knowing the Mark scheme, to some extent...
    thats true, ask anyone that gets As there advice is always memorise the mark scheme. its what examiners want. especially with edexcel you have to be so consise with your answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha Realest)
    Smashed it

Any tips ?? :cool:
    Exam technique and understanding is key!

I use bullet points for questions, and make sure you have enough time to read through the paper.

For HSW (Graph questions) state a general trend and manipulate figures.
    They are usually two markers, however if they are more than two, use your knowledge and apply!

For explain questions, make a point for every mark you think its gonna be on the markscheme, basically what i do is "anticipate" whats in the markscheme and when i see a question that looks weird, Think about what that question is asking you about in the specification.

For comparison questions , state the obvious! When a question says for example, which drug X is used than drug Y, say for the first marking point that Drug X is the best drug to use as it is XYZ, even though we just imply that in our answers.

Remember 1 markers should be obvious marks (e.g: why does person X sterlise equipment, obvious answer: to make the investigation valid)

I Hope you smash unit 2! (as well as every one in this thread!, apart from bobk and assassin, who are obviously gonna kill it.)
    • Welcome Squad

Can someone he;p with this please?

Graph with Q:
    Attachment 220702

Question:
    Attachment 220703

Answer:
    Attachment 220704 - why is it that though? I thought it was 5. is it a specific thing we need to know? then why does it say using the graph?

I think, it's because the point where the DNA starts to increase is apprx 6.25 hours. The point where it stops is 10, the difference us 3.75... Hence the range for the answers.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone he;p with this please?

Graph with Q:
    Attachment 220702

Question:
    Attachment 220703

Answer:
    Attachment 220704 - why is it that though? I thought it was 5. is it a specific thing we need to know? then why does it say using the graph?

I hope this answers your question

ReputationRep:
    Haha , thanks you too! How did you do in January, feeling confident about unit 2?
    I got an A in unit 1, just... I was really annoyed as when I got my paper back it was clear I should've got a few more marks, but because I was on the boundary I couldn't get it remarked for the extra UMS as it was too ricky! But I got full marks in the c/w (unless it gets moderated down) so that bumped me up and I now need 82 UMS (84 =B) so I'm reasonably confident, been getting 66/67 raw marks in the papers too

I think there's going to be loads on the practicals/data questions and I'm just so bad at them Always drop all of my marks there.

How about you?
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by StephenNaulls)
    I got an A in unit 1, just... I was really annoyed as when I got my paper back it was clear I should've got a few more marks, but because I was on the boundary I couldn't get it remarked for the extra UMS as it was too ricky! But I got full marks in the c/w (unless it gets moderated down) so that bumped me up and I now need 82 UMS (84 =B) so I'm reasonably confident, been getting 66/67 raw marks in the papers too

I think there's going to be loads on the practicals/data questions and I'm just so bad at them Always drop all of my marks there.

How about you?
    Awh, thats fab you got an A! even if it's borderline. Tbh, the grade boundary increased a lot! ! So you clearly were good!
    And I'm glad you've got full marks in c/w too!
    I did calculations for every graph question, a credit is awarded isn't it? And I'm sure you'll do well this time, with such raw marks on past papers!

I'm feeling ok. I did well in january, an A also. And also in c/w. For the unit 2 I'm feeling halfsies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubyturner94)
    thats true, ask anyone that gets As there advice is always memorise the mark scheme. its what examiners want. especially with edexcel you have to be so consise with your answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TBH I don't always try to remember the markscheme, rather i understand the content fully, then back my answers with required terminology from the mark-scheme. Otherwise when a weirded worded question comes up, I wouldn't like to freak out because my mind goes blank because i was so used to easily recognisable questions that i knew the answers in a previous paper thanks to the mark-scheme. Edexcel are putting more spice into their question papers nowadays and try hard to fluke you :P
    • Welcome Squad

TBH I don't always try to remember the markscheme, rather i understand the content fully, then back my answers with required terminology from the mark-scheme. Otherwise when a weirded worded question comes up, I wouldn't like to freak out because my mind goes blank because i was so used to easily recognisable questions that i knew the answers in a previous paper thanks to the mark-scheme. Edexcel are putting more spice into their question papers nowadays and try hard to fluke you :P
    Did you get full raw/ums marks?
    And yeah, agreed about understanding! If you don't understand then you can't apply!!! E.g. The chicken embryo question in January etc!

ReputationRep:
    yh they are
    for this unit ive learnt/learning the mark scheme for the practicals and the parts on seeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you get full raw/ums marks?
    And yeah, agreed about understanding! If you don't understand then you can't apply!!! E.g. The chicken embryo question in January etc!
    79 raw, 120 ums

Exactly! The chicken embryo question and i remember a question on bread (like why did it taste sweet) are one of the questions that require more understanding, less mark scheme :P

ReputationRep:
    yh they are
    for this unit ive learnt/learning the mark scheme for the practicals and the parts on seeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that what i literally do with all experiments as we haven't been through all in depth.
    • Welcome Squad

79 raw, 120 ums

Exactly! The chicken embryo question and i remember a question on bread (like why did it taste sweet) are one of the questions that require more understanding, less mark scheme :P
    79, not bad. that's really good. Do you know where you lost the Mark? Lol! (btw, congrats)
    Yes! But the last question was the mark scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that what i literally do with all experiments as we haven't been through all in depth.
    yh we havent too, how many past papers have you done so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    79, not bad. that's really good. Do you know where you lost the Mark? Lol! (btw, congrats)
    Yes! But the last question was the mark scheme!
    Thanks I got my paper back (for free from my teacher) and I lost a mark on the differences between tRNA and mRNA :P

yh we havent too, how many past papers have you done so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All of Jan 2009 - Jan 2013 so far.

I'll be going through pre 2008 papers tomorrow, I better catch some sleep, then do some bio in the morning and f332 revision for chemistry afterwards :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I got my paper back (for free from my teacher) and I lost a mark on the differences between tRNA and mRNA :P

All of Jan 2009 - Jan 2013 so far.

I'll be going through pre 2008 papers tomorrow, I better catch some sleep, then do some bio in the morning and f332 revision for chemistry afterwards :P
    yes me too
    good night

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.