If you resit & get lower, do they use your past result?

Watch
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For example, say I resat something and for some reason got lower than my first attempt, would the resit mark count only OR the first attempt mark that was higher?
ShannonKathleen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my experience they always use the highest mark that you got. So, if you got higher on your first attempt they would use that one
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ShannonKathleen)
In my experience they always use the highest mark that you got. So, if you got higher on your first attempt they would use that one
Yes.
Highest mark counts.
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Oh that's great then, thanks!
emma2013
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you can now only use the highest mark from your past two papers though
so if you got a B, retook and got a C, retook again and got another C, the B couldn't count anymore... my predicament at the moment...
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emma2013)
so if you got a B, retook and got a C, retook again and got another C, the B couldn't count anymore... my predicament at the moment...
tbh after 3 times, you don't deserve a higher mark
zeb786
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
Yes.
Highest mark counts.
are you sure, even for AS AQA, i was told otherwise...(i hope its true)
emma2013
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ouch...
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is not true for A level. At A level you can resit as often as you want for the life of the specification and the best mark you get is the one that counts.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wondering if you took a unit 1 in january but after the may exams, your AS grades overall adds up to lets say 1 UMS below an A, could you get the january exam (unit 1) remarked or will it be too late?
emma2013
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've only actually resat it once. My B was only one mark off an A, and saying I don't deserve a higher grade is harsh, especially since I got 100% on my other history paper so I'm clearly not thick. And even given my dodgy resit I still have 89.5% in my AS and am predicted an A*. :aetsch:
Aurora.Rose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I never knew this! Where did you get this information from, do you have a link?
emma2013
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aurora.Rose)
I got told it at school I'm not sure if it comes in this year or next year though
_Ddraig_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm currently pondering the same situation with WJEC exams. Apparently with Science (and maybe Maths), i have been told they take the resit mark regardless if it was worse than the original. I have tried to find information about WJEC resits as i have a conundrum with some resits but don't want to risk the marks i have :/
Data
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
Wondering if you took a unit 1 in january but after the may exams, your AS grades overall adds up to lets say 1 UMS below an A, could you get the january exam (unit 1) remarked or will it be too late?
No. The deadline for applying for re-marks for January is 16 April, after that it is too late (and by the summer your paper will almost certainly have been shredded).
Einstein007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
are a-levels really that hard?
ADAOBI123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Einstein007)
are a-levels really that hard?
YES, the devils work
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've only actually resat it once. My B was only one mark off an A, and saying I don't deserve a higher grade is harsh, especially since I got 100% on my other history paper so I'm clearly not thick. And even given my dodgy resit I still have 89.5% in my AS and am predicted an A*. :aetsch:
I wasn't saying you're thick.

I'm saying for that particular paper you shouldn't get a higher grade - simple.

Yes, now you have provided more information, it just shows that you have a problem with THIS particular module which further reinforces my point.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zeb786)
are you sure, even for AS AQA, i was told otherwise...(i hope its true)

(Original post by Aurora.Rose)

I got told it at school I'm not sure if it comes in this year or next year though

(Original post by _Morsey_)
I'm currently pondering the same situation with WJEC exams. Apparently with Science (and maybe Maths), i have been told they take the resit mark regardless if it was worse than the original. I have tried to find information about WJEC resits as i have a conundrum with some resits but don't want to risk the marks i have :/
To repeat what Data has already said under current JCQ A level rules you can retake any AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR or WJEC A level exam and it is is always your best result that counts.
Einstein007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got 24/30 in gcse french speaking..what grade would this be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.26%
Virtual campus tours/open days (124)
23.75%
Live streaming events (46)
8.81%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.96%
A uni comparison tool (121)
23.18%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.03%