Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Got my maths module results back today. I got a A in my C1 which is part of my Maths modules and I'm happy with but M1, which is one of my further maths modules, I only got a B. It's not that close to an A as well and I really am hoping to get A's overall this year and A*'s next year so is it worth resitting or just focusing on the other modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreconcious)
    Got my maths module results back today. I got a A in my C1 which is part of my Maths modules and I'm happy with but M1, which is one of my further maths modules, I only got a B. It's not that close to an A as well and I really am hoping to get A's overall this year and A*'s next year so is it worth resitting or just focusing on the other modules?
    Take my advice and avoid re-sits unless it's absolutely necessary. Focus on new material rather than dwelling on the past. Remember, it gets exponentially harder to get the top grades in a test, so if you didn't get them last time - there's no guarantee you'll succeed next time unless you put a lot of effort in. That could easily be time wasted getting top marks in your new exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreconcious)
    You can still get an A* with a B in one module, just work harder..the same thing happened to me today with a B in D1 and being only one mark off, i was allowed to send it back for a remark. But for me my most important subject is chemistry and i need an A* in it next year, but today i got my result for it and turned out i only got a B in unit one so instead of retaking i'm just going to focus on my summer exams and aim for higher A's to allow me to get the A* grade, that's what you should do but if you think you can handle the extra exam, then its up to you. However, today i was told by my teacher that if you retake then you must stick with the grade that you earned with your re-sit even if it is lower! If that's the case then i think a retake would be pointless as long as you work hard for your summer exams... I hope this helped from one confused student to another....

ReputationRep:
    i would suggest not resitting atm. i got a low B in m1 as well and it is my worst maths or further maths grade. it hasn't brought me down much and i'm aiming for an A* in the summer, so unless you do badly this summer i would just leave it. And it is one less exam to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    okay thank you I'll ask my teacher but I most likely won't resit it especially since it clashes with D1 I'll be taking in summer anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a similar position, I was going to start a new thread but figured it would be best to put it in this thread. Essentially, I did C1 and C2 in Jan and also got an A and B. I got 77 UMS in C2, which looking back is ridiculous since I found it a lot easier that C1 in which I got 99 UMS . (The UMS for C2 went down, so turns out I was 2 marks off an A.)

I am going to apply for a remark but inn the event I don't go up, do you think it would be a good idea to resit? I have read your previous replies to OP, but hand to heart I find C2 easy, please don't neg it's just the other modules I'm studying are so much harder compared to C2 haha.

I do understand your argument it's just that I would probably do a few practice papers leading up to it and be fine , and fortunately it doesn't clash with any of the other modules ( closest is D1 S1 on the 17th of May and C2 the 24th). One main argument is that I know I can get a much higher UMS, this will boost up my avg AS modules just in case my others do not go as well- the emission of Jan 2014 exams also means that this might probably be the only resit I may do...

The only thing that will really put me off a resit is of university. I am aiming to apply for Cambridge (realistically unlikely I know but it's good to aspire) and I know that Camb are fine with a slipup as long as the other modules are still high avg. What I can't remember is what they think of resits. Please let me know if if they will prefer a B 7 UMS for C2, or hopefully 90+ UMS with a resit?

Thank you, I appreciate all answers

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.