Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willfowler)
    h2shin you're correct as is Noble if you combine what you said. Basically I could do FP2 or FP3 along with two other A2 modules to get an A2 in Further Maths. I'm going to be doing FP2. As I don't think FP2 is going to be my strong point I may take an extra A2 module such as a Mechanics module or something to I can use that as one of the 4 applied modules in my Further Maths e.g:
    FP1 M1 M2
    FP2 M3 DE
    Therefore the A* could be made from 90% across M2, M3 and DE instead of FP2, M3 and DE or equally FP2 M2 and DE... etc etc.

Thanks ttoby for your reply regarding STEP.
    This was my understanding off it from hearing about my brother's friend who took STEP and how he worked harder for it than A2 Further Maths. I have actually had a look at STEP 1 and feel I could attempt a fair few of the Pure parts with my knowledge of C1, C2 and C3. And unless I see a nice Mechanics question I think I'd try and get away with only answering the Pure questions.
    Out of the universities mentioned I think I'm only looking at perhaps Warwick but definitely Bath.
    As you said I think I may just take it for fun and for 'the experience' of it. But as you point out I don't want to be focusing on that and miss out on any offers I get, so it'll really depend on what offers I get, should I get one from either Warwick or Bath then I think I might take it to try and lower the offer. If I don't then I may take it, but not revise as seriously, or just not take it at all.
    When do you think I should take it? If I am right in saying STEP 1 requires A-Level Maths, then would it be best to take it at the end of Year 12 as that's when C1, C2, C3, C4 would be fresh in my mind? Or should I wait a year for my Maths ability to generally improve?
    With your grades you would almost certainly get an offer from Warwick but then you would have to take STEP (they have a policy of giving out hard offers to lots of people). I think it would be better to take STEP next year - that way you know where you stand and what to aim for, and you'd have C3/C4 out of the way. Having the improved mathematical ability would really help too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good, I agree, thanks ttoby. And thanks for saying that I'd almost certainly get an offer, I do hope so!

I emailed Cardiff last night about modules and other stuff and their reply was:
    "In terms of your other modules, the most important module would probably be FP3 followed by M2 / S2 depending on which subject you prefer."
    And that if I get an A* / A in Maths then they'd offer me BB or AB respectively and no requirement in the fourth subject. Also they'd see me as "well prepared for a Maths degree" with just taking Further Maths and Physics in Year 13.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am in Year 12 but am planning (for some reason) what modules I want to take in Year 13 for Further Maths.

By the end of Year 12 I would have completed my 'Normal' Maths A-Level completely with these modules:
    C1, C2, S1 (C1 - 82, C2 - 98, S1 - 83)
    C3, C4, D1 (C3 - currently 79 but will retake to hopefully get 90+, the Jan 2013 exam I thought was far more difficult than previous years, sadly this was not reflected in the grade boundaries... D1 - 76 not retaking. Haven't done C4 yet)

Along with Further Maths AS:
    FP1, NM, M1 (Not taken any of them, NM I was meant to take in January but our school, rather pathetically, cancelled it because of the snow; but this module was my favourite and I thought quite easy. M1 looks easy as I've done the first Physics module and I've done kinematics etc before. FP1 is a tad difficult. )

I want to study Maths at University, so I was wondering which modules for Further Maths A2 would be beneficial from these:
    FP2 along with two of: M2 S2 DE

I wouldn't want to do any more decision modules or the 'N' (numerical) modules. FP2 looks difficult enough, so I don't think FP3 is 'on the table'.

I'm not sure what area of Maths I would want to study at University, so I wanted to find out which modules people found most useful at University / thought they should have taken.

I'm right in saying that to get an A* in Further Maths you need 480 UMS in total including 90% aggregate in three A2 units that are counted towards Further Maths. This doesn't have to include FP2, is that correct?

Finally, is Further Additional Maths AS worth getting? I'd be taking it alongside Further Maths, History and Physics in Year 13. Or should I just take an extra module or two, therefore covering S2, M2 and DE, so that I'd stand a greater chance at getting an A* in Further Maths as I could 'bin' a few modules, as it were.

Thanks for your help. Hope it all makes sense.
    You'd be advised by any respectable uni to do as many mechanics and FP modules as possible.

stats, decision = waste of time.

That said, depending on the uni, you may get away with stats and decision.

ReputationRep:
    I had a tutor from Trinity college, Cambridge at my sixth form college today for HE+ so I may be of help. He recommended the following for maths:

Pure>mechanics>stats>decision
    C1-4, M1-3 and FP1 should be your main priorities, otherwise load up with courses in the preferred order, ie. all the pure modules possible, then mechanics etc.

WJEC, the board my college uses, offers C1-4, FP1-3, M1-3, S1-3 only. Because I hate stats with a passion I am doing single maths this year (c1, c2 and m1) and double next year (c3, c4, fp1, fp2, m2, m3) meaning I hit all the target modules except FP3 -- I will be self-teaching that over the summer before we start In all, I'll finish with an A Level in maths and an AS in further maths and a working knowledge of fp3

ReputationRep:
    So far I've preferred Mechanics over Statistics purely because it ties in with Physics. The only reason I suggested S2 was for variety but the overwhelming consensus is that Statistics is a waste of time at A-Level so I think I shall pursue Mechanics.

Thanks for that Occams Chainsaw (interesting name..)! Cambridge are by most considered the best for Sciency / Maths so it's good to hear their opinion. They will be my priorities along with FP2 for A2 Further Maths and possibly FP3.. but we'll see.

This sounds like a cracking plan! I understand your hate for stats, it was the most painful module to take and took a great deal of effort to revise for! If I can't fit in taking the FP3 exam I may do what you're doing, i.e. just teach myself FP3 in the summer.

Something else Cardiff mentioned that you and others might find interesting (the only reason I keep quoting them is because they were the first to reply): "We can only assume knowledge of C1 to C4 as these are the only modules that all of our students will definitely have studied. However rest assured that students with Further Maths A level are still challenged and engaged right from the start of the course as we do not begin by teaching the Further Maths syllabus. Right from the start we will focus more on proving things etc." - Which I thought was good.

ReputationRep:
    So far I've preferred Mechanics over Statistics purely because it ties in with Physics. The only reason I suggested S2 was for variety but the overwhelming consensus is that Statistics is a waste of time at A-Level so I think I shall pursue Mechanics.

Thanks for that Occams Chainsaw (interesting name..)! Cambridge are by most considered the best for Sciency / Maths so it's good to hear their opinion. They will be my priorities along with FP2 for A2 Further Maths and possibly FP3.. but we'll see.

This sounds like a cracking plan! I understand your hate for stats, it was the most painful module to take and took a great deal of effort to revise for! If I can't fit in taking the FP3 exam I may do what you're doing, i.e. just teach myself FP3 in the summer.

Something else Cardiff mentioned that you and others might find interesting (the only reason I keep quoting them is because they were the first to reply): "We can only assume knowledge of C1 to C4 as these are the only modules that all of our students will definitely have studied. However rest assured that students with Further Maths A level are still challenged and engaged right from the start of the course as we do not begin by teaching the Further Maths syllabus. Right from the start we will focus more on proving things etc." - Which I thought was good.
    The name is a pun on Occam's razor, it's meant as a slightly ironic gesture. I'm always happy to get feedback on it

Np about the feedback. I'm actually looking to do physics w/philosophy but since I'm interested in logic and theoretical physics a solid maths background will be very helpful. Therefore I am taking modules as if I were applying for maths. Even doing STEP prep with the mathmos at my college!

Good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see!! Hahahaha! Pahaha it's no where as original as my name

Good plan, Physics sounds very Mathsy. Blimey you'll probably be equally prepared for a Maths degree as I will (hopefully)!

Same to you: Good luck! Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    What Further PURE modules would you guys suggest for a physics degree? I know the Mechanics ones are the best applied ones for a physics degree, but I'm not sure whether to do all the way up to M5 and just do FP1, FP2 or to do more pure modules and fewer mechanics? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanoffeeGuy)
    What Further PURE modules would you guys suggest for a physics degree? I know the Mechanics ones are the best applied ones for a physics degree, but I'm not sure whether to do all the way up to M5 and just do FP1, FP2 or to do more pure modules and fewer mechanics? Thanks!
    Well, you can't do M4 or M5 without FP3, so you're going to have to do FP3. I think (But don't quote me on this) that you'll be wanting a lot of the topics on FP3 (Matrices, Vectors) as they'd be very relevant to Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Well, you can't do M4 or M5 without FP3, so you're going to have to do FP3. I think (But don't quote me on this) that you'll be wanting a lot of the topics on FP3 (Matrices, Vectors) as they'd be very relevant to Physics.
    I did M4 and M5 without FP3... I just spent 10 minutes learning the relevant material :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I did M4 and M5 without FP3... I just spent 10 minutes learning the relevant material :lol:
    Fair point, it is only really the vectors that seems to come up. What are your thoughts on the better modules for him to take though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanoffeeGuy)

(Original post by DJMayes)
    Fair point, it is only really the vectors that seems to come up. What are your thoughts on the better modules for him to take though?
    All of A-Level maths is pretty much fundamental to a mathematics degree, and the majority of modules are fundamental to a physics degree (going by how mathematically intense physics is at Oxford). You absolutely can't go wrong by learning all the FPs and all the Mechanics, and even the statistics modules (these less so, but statistics is still relevant to physics, random walks/Brownian motion/Markov chains)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    All of A-Level maths is pretty much fundamental to a mathematics degree, and the majority of modules are fundamental to a physics degree (going by how mathematically intense physics is at Oxford). You absolutely can't go wrong by learning all the FPs and all the Mechanics, and even the statistics modules (these less so, but statistics is still relevant to physics, random walks/Brownian motion/Markov chains)
    So FP1,2,3 is a good way to go yeh? And then as many mechanics modules as possible I suppose. I know there's an FP4, but is that really worth doing or not?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.