Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Languages are my thing, I speak near fluent German (I'm half German), and study Spanish and French at GCSE. I really want to do all three at a level, but I'm wondering if that's excessive?
    I definitely don't want to drop french or spanish, and i think german would be really useful for me as I plan to study Social and Cultural Anthropology in Germany, in German. Although I can understand everything and fully express myself, I'm somewhat lacking in some basic grammatic and writing skills and a level study would help me develop those skills.
    My other choice is Philosophy, which I'm pretty set on.
    A teacher suggested to me that I do German as an 'additional' as/a2 and take on another as, so I was thinking English Language. Is that wise?
    I know that german unis prefer broader studies, as the Habitur there is more like the IB, which is my other choice, although this would mean dropping a language unless I did self-study german which would be a ****load of work as I have no previous experience with literary analysis in german.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I was never one for languages myself!

If you've got your heart set on those three subjects, then go for it. And I really reccommend Philosophy by the way, but on the AQA exam board you are assessed by essays, which is why I'm dropping the subject, as writing and essays in general is not my strongpoint.

Anyway, it might seem a bit far away, but have you thought about what you want to do after A-level? Try and think of areas of work that three language A-levels could get you into, and whether you could be successful there or not. I managed to keep my options open and now have quite a few directions that I could go in after A-level, depending on the grades I get, but it's good to consider goals.

If you are planning on attending a German Uni, then I think the German course is essential, even if you think know it already. However, it really depends on what you want to study over there as to which other A-levels you study. If you don't need French and Spanish, then you could choose one to do an A-level in, and keep the other as an extra interest that you could study outside of school.

I know that sounds a bit of a mish mash, but it's really essential to think about which courses will get you where you want to be, as well as which you enjoy.

Hope that helps!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.