Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieLeake93)
    A couple of days ago I signed up with William Hill after I had enjoyed watching a friend play poker. I've been playing roulette over the last couple of days. To start with I made £30 and walked away and then the next morning I lost a bit of that and left. Later that I day I won more until I was about £60 on top. However I don't know what has happened to me today, Since I had such large winnings I was betting higher amounts of money. I started with £20 bets and ended up with nearly £50 bets to cover the bets that I lost.

However my bets have become out of hand and I have now ended up £500 down. I still have money in my bank so i'm not likely to go into debt with my bank but I just feel so depressed that I let this happen to me as i'm usually very, very careful with my money. I have contacted William Hill to see if there is anything they would do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I'm not after much from anyone reading this thread - I feel like I need to tell people as I would be too embarrassed to tell my parents or girlfriend but they don't see my bank statements so they won't find out.

It will take me about 2 months to earn this money back but I realise my mistake and plan on closing my account with William Hill and not gambling again.

mate if you understood the probability of gambling games like roulette you'd never put in another pound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    mate if you understood the probability of gambling games like roulette you'd never put in another pound
    The kids on a private island sipping champagne, we are the ones hustling out here for ££

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Yeah its possible to make money in sports betting, but its much more of a risk, I know good gamblers who have lost thousands sports betting as sport can be so wildly unpredictable. If you know what you're doing with poker though you can just sit back, play tight, get your money in good and play the maths.
    its not 2005 anymore. the poker landscape has vastly changed. the tables are full of solid, tight players and people arent spewing their money about like they used to. if you're playing tight and the rest of the table is playing tight, you will just be passing blinds around and trading coolers. you need to have more to your game than tight play and value betting big hands to beat todays game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Well I'm calling it a night as I'm up early to catch the early prices. Good luck.

I'll be back on at 16:25 tomorrow to edit my post if Chicago Grey doesn't win. I'll just change "Chicago Grey" to the name of the winner and everyone will think I'm a betting king.

Then I'll delete this post.
    As your betting on Chicago grey e/w, I will too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    As your betting on Chicago grey e/w, I will too.
    Did I mention that I don't think I've ever picked the winner in the Grand National?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Did I mention that I don't think I've ever picked the winner in the Grand National?
    Nope.

Too late, bets been place.

4 quid riding on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Have you also noticed that quite a significant number of the best poker players are actually ex tcg players that under the concept of game theory.....i.e. ex Magic the Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...ary&id=4259905

Old article, but if you can't deal with high pressure situations give up....if you have no concept of winning.... give up..... professional gamblers can deal with high pressure.
    I didn't know that, but I was decent at MTG when I played in school. Well I was good compared to my friends, went to one competition and placed in the prizes. Never played Pokemon or YuGiOh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    its not 2005 anymore. the poker landscape has vastly changed. the tables are full of solid, tight players and people arent spewing their money about like they used to. if you're playing tight and the rest of the table is playing tight, you will just be passing blinds around and trading coolers. you need to have more to your game than tight play and value betting big hands to beat todays game.
    Hold'em is yes, 5/10 Omaha Hi-lo is where all the real grinders are nowadays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    Why there is still value in tournament games tbh...

If the whole field was of equal ability then you would breakeven*(not counting the rake of course). Just happens that a lot are donkeys, and by the time the field thins out the donkeys (and occasional reg from a cooler etc) then you have your tight reg field but you have value in the worse players who bust out early. I think tournaments appeal to weak players because anyone CAN win them and pick up a nice wedge, as apposed to cash where you gotta grind it out for anything.

Also, the regs who are otherwise slightly profitable or breakeven often have these rakeback deals and make their money on them. I know a few average ability players who profit off the rakeback alone + fpps.

I think by playing tight aggressive you can easily make between 0.00 and 1 BB/100 which is decent. With table selection you could get it up to like 3 BB/100 or something.

I think I remember when stars, for example, awarded fpps based on just being involved in the hand (whether you paid to play or not!) but now it is based on how much you put into the pot. Bit of a shame that because back then you COULD play super tight and clean up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)

If the whole field was of equal ability then you would breakeven*(not counting the rake of course). Just happens that a lot are donkeys, and by the time the field thins out the donkeys (and occasional reg from a cooler etc) then you have your tight reg field but you have value in the worse players who bust out early. I think tournaments appeal to weak players because anyone CAN win them and pick up a nice wedge, as apposed to cash where you gotta grind it out for anything.

Also, the regs who are otherwise slightly profitable or breakeven often have these rakeback deals and make their money on them. I know a few average ability players who profit off the rakeback alone + fpps.

I think by playing tight aggressive you can easily make between 0.00 and 1 BB/100 which is decent. With table selection you could get it up to like 3 BB/100 or something.

I think I remember when stars, for example, awarded fpps based on just being involved in the hand (whether you paid to play or not!) but now it is based on how much you put into the pot. Bit of a shame that because back then you COULD play super tight and clean up.
    What do you think is a decent bankroll to start off with at what levels?

ReputationRep:
    NLHE is tough but it's not THAT tough. 3ptbb/100 is not exactly a top end win rate even in today's games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)

the problem with tournaments is one misread or one suckout in a big pot and you are gone, or have a crippled chip stack and no chance of making the big money.

in cash games, you can build up reads on your opponents and a small misread, you can rebuy. in a tournament you might not come across a certain player ever again. how can you know if he shoves on a JT2 two of a suit flop, if he has a flush draw, straight draw, top pair or overpair? is your pair of tens any good in this situation? is your top pair, mediocre kicker any good in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is a decent bankroll to start off with at what levels?
    To play cash games I would deposit $50 and play 2nl for a few thousand hands. You're not trying to run this $50 into a grand or anything, you're just learning to buy in full, play tight, play in position, raise preflop and value bet when you have a hand. After you find yourself outplaying 2nl (not hard) I would deposit 25 buyins for whatever stake you can afford (up to about 100nl), move down if you get below 20 and move up if you get to 25 for a new stake.

ReputationRep:
    The other problem with tournaments is that you play most of them with a short stack, which means fewer decisions. Good players want to maximise the number of decisions they make because every time they make one they can be making a better one than their opponents (also why top SC2 players want to play macro instead of all-in styles). Bad players want to play 10bbs deep where the only decision is shove or fold because it's much harder to realise an edge in those situations. That's why cash players call them donkaments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    To play cash games I would deposit $50 and play 2nl for a few thousand hands. You're not trying to run this $50 into a grand or anything, you're just learning to buy in full, play tight, play in position, raise preflop and value bet when you have a hand. After you find yourself outplaying 2nl (not hard) I would deposit 25 buyins for whatever stake you can afford (up to about 100nl), move down if you get below 20 and move up if you get to 25 for a new stake.
    Yeah at the moment i play like once every few months 364 tournaments $10+1 to like $20 +2 on PP....still up £130, if you see my last sharkscope link. After going out a few tilted plays, I just realised i didn't have the discipline.... i might take it up again... but i really need to read a few books or something that can influence developing a decent play style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Here's a few tips:

- Never risk what you cannot afford to lose.
    - Always expect to lose.
    - Don't think that a win somehow makes you more likely to keep winning.
    - Never look at gambling as a way of making money.
    This. Although some people manage to go in plus, you should never bet any amount of money not being able to say goodbye to it. If you put £100, your attitude should be that those £100 doesn't matter to you. If they do, you shouldn't be gambling with them.

Take it as a lesson OP, even though it costs you. I have do admit I laughed when you said you'd contacted William Hill. What do you want them to do? You know how gambling works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    This. Although some people manage to go in plus, you should never bet any amount of money not being able to say goodbye to it. If you put £100, your attitude should be that those £100 doesn't matter to you. If they do, you shouldn't be gambling with them.

Take it as a lesson OP, even though it costs you. I have do admit I laughed when you said you'd contacted William Hill. What do you want them to do? You know how gambling works?
    I think we are all making huge assumptions about OLLIELEAKE, for what we know his luck could have changed and he could be ahead to the degree, he's emigrated!

But on the other hand the kid wasn't the brightest tool in the box, so... he should learn from his mistakes and learn to structure his gambling. So that he does potentially make a profit in the future, i.e. quiting roulette and adopting an interest in actual sport. With a bit of common sense the kid could have made money.

Here my 3 plays for today.

Seattle Mariners (Hernandez) to beat Chicago White Sox
    Kansas City (Mendoza) to beat Philadelphia Phillies
    Los Angeles Angels (Hanson) to beat Texas Rangers

Going 2/3 is a decent profit!

ReputationRep:
    Ive decided, clean sheets are terrible for making money.

Sticking to the basketball

ReputationRep:
    Yeah at the moment i play like once every few months 364 tournaments $10+1 to like $20 +2 on PP....still up £130, if you see my last sharkscope link. After going out a few tilted plays, I just realised i didn't have the discipline.... i might take it up again... but i really need to read a few books or something that can influence developing a decent play style.
    I looked at the sharkscope thing and it looked like you were mostly playing turbos and hyperturbos, right? Those are different from cash games because of how short a stack you play with a lot of the time to the extent that they're basically a different game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Hold'em is yes, 5/10 Omaha Hi-lo is where all the real grinders are nowadays
    why not omaha hi?

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.