Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want to know what an average UMS score has been to get offered a place for Engineering at Cambridge. I've heard figures like 98%, 95% and people get interviewed at 90%. So to all those at Cambridge studying Engineering could you please tell us your AS UMS scores and if there is someone official on TSR from Cambridge, could you please clear this cloud in my head?

Also I am doing Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry, so I'd like to know what subjects/modules do they take in the average for? Right now my average is 91-92% UMS. I failed pretty bad in my C2 exam (external circumstances) bringing my average down so I'll definitely retake this. So my next question is what are Cambridge's policies in terms of retakes? Can they accept 1/2? I'm not planning to retake any other subjects, but hopefully if I retake my C2 and do well as I hope to do, my average should be up there by the 95% mark..

So yeah any advice appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...sforum2010.pdf

I would say the average for successful candidates is around 96%. But there will be those with under 96 who impress in other areas and those with above 96 who fail to conform to the standard in other areas.

Of course, you should simply aim to get 100% in everything you can. There is no magic number that gets you into Cambridge, but the higher your percentage is the more it will help your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pleonasm)
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...sforum2010.pdf

I would say the average for successful candidates is around 96%. But there will be those with under 96 who impress in other areas and those with above 96 who fail to conform to the standard in other areas.

Of course, you should simply aim to get 100% in everything you can. There is no magic number that gets you into Cambridge, but the higher your percentage is the more it will help your chances.
    Hey thanks I see your point

I just want to ask whether it would be ideal for me to retake C2? I'm happy to leave it and will work hard for the other modules in the Summer and get close to 100%. But I mean if my C2 mark will bring me down in terms of Cambridge, then I might as well retake it. Or conversely, if retaking the C2 means that it becomes looked down upon, then I'll just leave it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    Hey thanks I see your point

I just want to ask whether it would be ideal for me to retake C2? I'm happy to leave it and will work hard for the other modules in the Summer and get close to 100%. But I mean if my C2 mark will bring me down in terms of Cambridge, then I might as well retake it. Or conversely, if retaking the C2 means that it becomes looked down upon, then I'll just leave it.

Thanks
    If you think that you can almost certainly improve the result (i.e. you had consistently done much better in practice and the exam was an anomaly) then resit. Otherwise, do not. Getting 70%, but then getting 95% looks good and proves that the previous result was just a bad day. But getting a substandard score twice looks even worse.

Cambridge tend to be understanding about having low scores in one or two modules, but you need to make sure the majority of your scores are very high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pleonasm)
    If you think that you can almost certainly improve the result (i.e. you had consistently done much better in practice and the exam was an anomaly) then resit. Otherwise, do not. Getting 70%, but then getting 95% looks good and proves that the previous result was just a bad day. But getting a substandard score twice looks even worse.

Cambridge tend to be understanding about having low scores in one or two modules, but you need to make sure the majority of your scores are very high.
    I see. So will it be fine if I don't resit this module, but my other modules(hopefully) I can score between 95-100? Won't that still reduce my overall average cos of my C2 though? Thanks.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.