Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone.. just thought id start my own thread of just biology unit 1 which was taken in jan 2013... how did everyone do? i worked my butt off but did awfully bad :'(

not sure if there already is a thread going on this..

ReputationRep:
    I got 83/100 UMS. How did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I got 93/100 which was a massive surprise for me, really wasn't expecting it! However a lot of my year got a shock from their results...quite a few Ds and below

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I got 78/100 ums, ONE mark off an A but im very pleased with my result it was quite a pleasant surprise as I was expecting a D. most of my class got D's E's and U's.

ReputationRep:
    I got 73/100, i really wanted an A but im grateful i managed to get a B since most people in my class got D's, E's, and U's. More people failed than actually passed.

ReputationRep:
    I got 80/100, scraped that A! I would've been disappointed if I'd got lower, biology is my strongest subject and I was gunning for that A.

ReputationRep:
    I got 90/100 somehow, which was a shock seeing how bad i felt coming out that exam!

ReputationRep:
    I got 76/100 a B, just below an A.

I really happy, but I made loads of mistakes in that exam, so I am retaking in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnighteyes)
    I got 76/100 a B, just below an A.

I really happy, but I made loads of mistakes in that exam, so I am retaking in the summer.
    Well done, It was a difficult paper and easy to lose little marks on!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not looking at my result because I have the EMPA tomorrow.
    Most people got U's, E's and D's in our year..
    1 person so far I know of got an A.. which is kind of worrying for me :/

ReputationRep:
    85/100 thought I did better tbh but im happy. kinda weird since i got 96/100 in bio4 haha

ReputationRep:
    I only know of 2 people with A's most people failed. I got a U which was 29/100 ums, I'm wanting a B or A overall in as level, should I resit??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia_x)
    I got 73/100, i really wanted an A but im grateful i managed to get a B since most people in my class got D's, E's, and U's. More people failed than actually passed.
    Same here. I would have liked to get at least an A, but my teacher doesn't seem that worried and thinks I'll do better in the resit, so I'm not that upset. And most other people also failed...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take this exam but I heard that in one of the classes at my college 6 out of 10 people got U's, I only know of a few people who got A's in this exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily303)
    I only know of 2 people with A's most people failed. I got a U which was 29/100 ums, I'm wanting a B or A overall in as level, should I resit??
    yes i think you should resit unit 1

you cant get an A with that grade unless you resit.

to get a B at the end of AS you need 210 ums and 240 ums for an A

unit 1 is out of 100 ums
    unit 2 is out of 140 ums
    the ISA is out of 60 ums

if you got full ums in the ISA and unit 2 you would still only have 229 ums so not enough for an A

Just think about what went wrong did you not do enough/any revision?

it can be turned around (last year I got 22 ums in that exam and decided to resit the year after failing all my subjects and this time i got 78 ums in unit 1 and i have 52 ums in my ISA )

work hard and revise/practice loads and you will get what you want

good luck

EDIT: my advice would be to maybe request your paper back to see where you went wrong and just closer to the time do EVERY past paper at least once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    yes i think you should resit unit 1

you cant get an A with that grade unless you resit.

to get a B at the end of AS you need 210 ums and 240 ums for an A

unit 1 is out of 100 ums
    unit 2 is out of 140 ums
    the ISA is out of 60 ums

if you got full ums in the ISA and unit 2 you would still only have 229 ums so not enough for an A

Just think about what went wrong did you not do enough/any revision?

it can be turned around (last year I got 22 ums in that exam and decided to resit the year after failing all my subjects and this time i got 78 ums in unit 1 and i have 52 ums in my ISA )

work hard and revise/practice loads and you will get what you want

good luck

EDIT: my advice would be to maybe request your paper back to see where you went wrong and just closer to the time do EVERY past paper at least once
    Should i resit? i got 73/100. I want an A overall, i havent done the ISA yet but if i work hard i should still have a chance of an A grade right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia_x)
    Should i resit? i got 73/100. I want an A overall, i haven't done the ISA yet but if i work hard i should still have a chance of an A grade right?
    I personally would resit because you don't know what mark you will get in your isa but only resit if you know resitting this exam wont bring marks away from the unit 2 biology exam e.g. don't revise as much for it because of the resit.

however if you really think you can get close to full ums on the isa then a resit wouldn't be as vital as you will have made up the marks from the isa.

but yes even of you don't resit you still have a good chance at getting an A at the end of the year if you work really hard. its just personal preference if you want try to resit or not

say you get 56 ums in your isa then you would need 111 out of 140 ums (without a resit) to get an A overall so its definitively achievable

Good luck and you will get the grade you want

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have link to the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elnor)
    Anyone have link to the paper?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...225&p=41321036

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.