Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

do you really have to revise every night without fail to get decent grades at ASLevel Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MehvishM)
    haha "s'alritee"

yeah i do well i try to as best as i can usually just one month before.. but i think it might be the technique?.. all i know is i was predicted atleast B (got that in my mock) but ended up with a U
    I was predicted an A in chemistry and got a B 1 UMS off an A

Oh lifes goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D4rth)
    Thanks.

Throughout the year I'm extremely lazy, just barely get homework done on the bus to college but when I need to revise, I revise.

Spend entire christmas holidays practically in my room, wake up, do work till I sleep, plenty of breaks of course, probably 55% work, 45% breaks.

I go through my college booklets and the textbooks, topic by topic and make colourful notes on each section.

I also do every single past paper available and go through the markscheme filling in the correct answers, even if I got it right I still put the markscheme answer. The final few days before the exam will just comprise of me going over the papers.

Oh and I'm practically a computer addict so to try and get any work done I need to remove my computer from my room.

This technique works for me but it's definitely not for everyone!

oooh .... hmm i should get rid of my laptop and phone then whilst studying haha... true say not everyone revises using that technique impressive .. thank you though

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what subjects you're doing, how easy you find them and what grades you want, but there are some key things you will probably need to do. Firstly, make sure you understand everything that has been said in class, and if you don't go home and work it out, or ask a teacher: just find some way to resolve it. If you need to spend time doing this, then I reckon this would be the best use of your time: don't just regurgitate it in note form, but actually find a way of making yourself explain and apply it. Try and link stuff together if you can, so you create a sort of network of understanding. If you're anything like me, then won't negate the need for actual fact learning revision, but will help you to go some way to remembering things. Then learn what simply needs to be learnt and do past papers or practice exam technique in a way that is relevant to your subjects - know the AO's inside out and stick to them on the exam.

So I guess in summary: work smart, not hard - hours upon hours of revision will do nothing if you're not actually doing anything. Know what you need to do to get the grades that you want and spend however long you need to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    I have heard people saying that you need to revise religiously every night from the start of the year until exams to achieve AAAA at ASLevel

To what extent is this true?

I feel guilty if I don't revise every night :L

How much did you revise per night? and what subjects did you do?

I do 3sciences and maths and do about 3-4 hours a night
    Always strive to understand what you have learnt in lessons, do the homework and success will follow you!

e.g. When you walk home from school, instead of checking out all them boys/girls, think about what you have learnt in lesson-time!

It's more important to understand the concepts than to revise (aka mindlessly cramming information into your head) in the last month. For instance, some exam boards are quite sly with the questions: they word them in such a way that only those who 'know' the subject will be able to answer them! Thus, men are distinguished from boys; likewise, women are separated from girls.

Edit: ^^What GoneSailing says! Anyway, lemme know if you want some revision tips! I have loads, including sleeping on your textbook cos the info diffuses into ur brain

ReputationRep:
    In general no....Im doing a chemistry degree and i dont even revise that much!

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted an A in chemistry and got a B 1 UMS off an A

Oh lifes goes on

now i bet that was annoying :eek: .. you could have got it remarked maybe? haha i wish i could say only one mark of my predicted grade rather than like 3 whole grades of my prediction

but yeah lifes still does go on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micboy)
    Always strive to understand what you have learnt in lessons, do the homework and success will follow you!

e.g. When you walk home from school, instead of checking out all them boys/girls, think about what you have learnt in lesson-time!

It's more important to understand the concepts than to revise (aka mindlessly cramming information into your head) in the last month. For instance, some exam boards are quite sly with the questions: they word them in such a way that only those who 'know' the subject will be able to answer them! Thus, men are distinguished from boys; likewise, women are separated from girls.
    haha laughed at this post

yea i think a lot of people don't strive to understand the underlying principles which is a fatal mistake at any level above GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MehvishM)
    now i bet that was annoying :eek: .. you could have got it remarked maybe? haha i wish i could say only one mark of my predicted grade rather than like 3 whole grades of my prediction

but yeah lifes still does go on..
    it was actually one RAW mark :mad: the annoying thing is I lost a mark due to leaving an answer to the incorrect number of decimal places..lol

but hey... I'll just have to nail it twice as hard next time

ReputationRep:
    haha laughed at this post

yea i think a lot of people don't strive to understand the underlying principles which is a fatal mistake at any level above GCSE
    XD I am full of inspiring words. If you need more, let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micboy)
    XD I am full of inspiring words. If you need more, let me know
    will do dude

ReputationRep:
    it was actually one RAW mark :mad: the annoying thing is I lost a mark due to leaving an answer to the incorrect number of decimal places..lol

but hey... I'll just have to nail it twice as hard next time
    WOW seriously thats ridiculous and harsh!! .. haha aw loving how you're still motivated ( that's the way you roll) ... yeah make sure you doo! ..

ReputationRep:
    With me it most definitely was not the amount of revision i did.... i started revising in august and i came out with a C and a E.... you need to make sure you understand it, like to the point where you could make up your own exams questions and answer them..... No joke, A-levels kill like a mofo....

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of person you are. The lucky ones (according to me) are the ones who can get an A by revising the week before, others have to revise consistently every day!

With me it's the latter, I'm not going to lie but A Levels are hard and take up a lot of your time. Actually, most of your time if I'm being honest.

You've got to be motivated and determined to do A Levels, I know people who have just pratted about and got horrible grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kousar)
    Depends on what kind of person you are. The lucky ones (according to me) are the ones who can get an A by revising the week before, others have to revise consistently every day!

With me it's the latter, I'm not going to lie but A Levels are hard and take up a lot of your time. Actually, most of your time if I'm being honest.

You've got to be motivated and determined to do A Levels, I know people who have just pratted about and got horrible grades.
    true say and good advice.. with me its to not to get distracted and stay motivated ..

ReputationRep:
    It all really depends on how much you bother to learn in your class time.

ReputationRep:
    After having a strop about my A level results I believe it depends on the person. I was expected to get an A in my English Literature exam, I revised every day; did past papers, extra research, essays. I got a E. The guy I'm sat next to in the lesson, who does no work is hardly in for any of the lessons and doesn't know how to analyse literature got an A. So yeah, it depends on the person.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, pretty much every night; well, I had to. I did 4 AS subjects, stayed up every night upto 2 am.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the person. I know people who only worked a month before exams and got all As, I on other hand had to work 2-3 hours a day for the entire year to gets B-Cs. If you find a levels easy lucky you, if not you may have to work that much. None of us know you well enough to tell you how muchyou should do.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not; depends on the person. Everyone knows roughly what they have to do to get what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard people saying that you need to revise religiously every night from the start of the year until exams to achieve AAAA at ASLevel

To what extent is this true?

I feel guilty if I don't revise every night :L

How much did you revise per night? and what subjects did you do?

I do 3sciences and maths and do about 3-4 hours a night
    No - I didn't do much for business studies and got 399/400

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.