Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last summer with a 4.0/4 in BSc Business from a university in the UK, however the university is currently ranked around the 60 mark(in uk). I am 22 and want to complete an MBA at a top 3 business school, preferably hbs, by the time I am 30. However I feel that because my undergrad university isn't that highly ranked it may hinder my chances, providing everything else, GMAT etc is top notch.

I have the opportunity to do a masters in international business at a top 20 UK university this September. I want to know if this is a waste of time or should I continue working and get the experience. I am currently production manager in my family business, which has a turnover of $2million and is growing fast. I currently lead a team of 10 people and is set to double over the next year. So I have a great opportunity now to demonstrate leadership skills etc.

So considering I ace the GMAT, and with my other qualities, which include grade 8 guitar, fluent in german and 1st dan black belt in karate in which I represented my university at a national championsips and won gold, is doing the masters worth it or will my undergrad university be fine for hbs?

Also there are students currently doing an MBA at Harvard who have graduated from the university that I have the opportunity to do the masters at, therefore I know for certain that it is reputable enough for hbs.

Thanks,
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    i got a first, I put this on a US forum looking for advice and had to put up the equivalent to their gpa. So change the $2mil turnover to £1.3mil and is that all or does the rest of it sound like bull**** as well?

ReputationRep:
    If he got firsts across all his modules that would come out as a 4.0 GPA. If he didn't get a first in everything it would be less. OP, you do realise that just getting a first overall is not the same as a 4.0?

The two main problems I see are that US unis are very sticky about reputation of undergrad unis, and that many top MBA programs look less kindly on people who get promoted etc in family businesses than when they are working for someone else.

The point about costs is valid too - many students are paid for by their companies.

But there is a wealth of stuff on the net about getting into programs like HBS - gradcafe, Harvard blogs etc. I don't think a website primarily for UK students is the best place to ask these questions.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that a first was the equivalent to a 4.0? Pretty much everywhere i've looked has given the translation as 1:1 = 3.8-4.0? My degree was graded on final year alone where i got firsts in 4/6 modules, the other two modules i got 2:1s.

I understand that they might hesitate about working in family businesses, it's not really a family business as such it's a business my father owns. Although I think I would need experience somewhere else as well.

I would have no problem paying for an MBA.

I am setting Harvard as a benchmark, i'm looking five years down the line and I want to put myself into the best position possible. Yes pretty much high flying corporate jobs is what I am looking for, I want a high ranking position within a FTSE 100 type company and I believe I can get there.

So do you think doing the masters will make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayL09)
    I was under the impression that a first was the equivalent to a 4.0? Pretty much everywhere i've looked has given the translation as 1:1 = 3.8-4.0? My degree was graded on final year alone where i got firsts in 4/6 modules, the other two modules i got 2:1s.

I understand that they might hesitate about working in family businesses, it's not really a family business as such it's a business my father owns. Although I think I would need experience somewhere else as well.

I would have no problem paying for an MBA.

I am setting Harvard as a benchmark, i'm looking five years down the line and I want to put myself into the best position possible. Yes pretty much high flying corporate jobs is what I am looking for, I want a high ranking position within a FTSE 100 type company and I believe I can get there.

So do you think doing the masters will make a difference?
    No re degree classificatiom. I don't think exact marks make a difference, if I enter your classifications assuming all are equal weights, I get your GPA at 3.9 (still good of course) on here: http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/

Also am not entirely sure if US grad schools accept the UK convention of only counting part of the degree towards the classification - you may be required to get a CGPA on all the modules you took. Best check with HBS, or whoever, what their policy is.

And yes the problem with a business your father owns is: are you getting the promotions because you're great at what you do, or because you're the boss's son? Even if it is the former, they can not be sure of that.

I don't really know what to advise about the masters. As an MBA admissions officer, the question they would probably ask is: why a masters in business (even if international business), and an MBA? Do you just want the name brand? Admissions to MBA programs are seriously tough in the US (there are a number of articles, I think even a dedicated section, on Bloomberg about this). It sounds like the selectors go through the personal statements and essays you write with a fine tooth comb. I'm not trying to discourage you as such - but maybe go search Bloomberg for the articles with MBA admissions officers etc, it may give you a better idea of what you should be thinking of doing to strengthen your application in the intervening years between now and when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    It give me the equivalent of 3.8, thanks for the link. I'll check out whether they account for all modules.

That is the problem I am facing whether I am in a management position because I am the boss's son, although over the next few years the company is expected to grow significantly and I will be able to demonstrate that I played a key role in the growth.

I was thinking that about the masters, they might think why does this guy need an mba? I know they are seriously tough, only 13% of the applicants got in this year so they have to be.

Thanks for the advice.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.