Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Self conscious wearing makeup in public Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello girls,
    looking for some helpful advice please!
    Im a rookie when it comes to applying and wearing makeup. Although I feel Im getting the hang of it all and it looks okay in the mirror once applied, I feel too self conscious to go out in public wearing it Im scared Ill look totally different under the different lighting conditions and that my makeup will look like its been done with a makeup gun lol.
    I feel that everyone will be looking and staring at me.....

ReputationRep:
    If you're more comfortable going without make-up I would say keep doing what you're doing! I struggle to leave the house without foundation & mascara lately and it's really a habit I wish I hadn't gotten into. I love make-up but once you start using it regularly it does become a bit of a crutch, well for me it definitely has. It's a bit of a pain!

But if you really want to use it the rule I always follow is less is more. Foundation, powder, blush etc is all build able - it's much harder to take it off if you get it wrong so I always start with a very light coverage and build it up. Also, check it in different lighting. My bedroom has pretty horrendous lighting so I always check it in the bathroom, and in the hallway mirror before I leave. Probably a bit excessive but yeh, that's me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Samz. Ive always been happy enough without it all, but my sisters getting married in a few months so I feel compelled to wear it to look decent. This is me just practicing it now lol.
    I dont plan on going daft with make up. Some powder foundation, blush, eyeshadow and lipstick should do the trick

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    You could always ask a friend to get ready with you; that way you can get a second opinion before you brave the public and she could also give you a few pointers if needed!

You only feel like everyone will be staring at you because it's something completely new and different to you; the reality is that probably no one will. Also, unless you've completely tango'd yourself, then people that you walk past won't really notice slightly badly applied make up. Applying make up, although pretty simple, does take some getting used to - you could always just wear it inside until you get more and more used to it being on your face.

As for lighting conditions, if you apply it in good/day light then the chances of it looking completely different when you're out and about are extremely slim

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you can get to a Boots branch with a Benefit counter, I'd strongly recommend booking yourself in for a free consultation.

You can explain your worries, and they will introduce you to products to start you off with a subtle or natural look and tell you how to use certain products. The make up can be expensive, but the consultation is free with no obligation to buy.

It might be worth trying for some face to face advice! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about concealer and foundation you could always opt for a bb cream as it's hard to go wrong with a bb cream as they blend to match your individual skin tone and they're light weight so you can build up as much or as little coverage as you want. Mineral powder is another option you may want to consider.

When it comes to eye shadow I'd stick with neutral colors if I were you. That way you won't have to worry about standing out too much as one thing that draws peoples attention is when someone has really bright eyeshadow e.g blue or purple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    If you're more comfortable going without make-up I would say keep doing what you're doing! I struggle to leave the house without foundation & mascara lately and it's really a habit I wish I hadn't gotten into. I love make-up but once you start using it regularly it does become a bit of a crutch, well for me it definitely has. It's a bit of a pain!

But if you really want to use it the rule I always follow is less is more. Foundation, powder, blush etc is all build able - it's much harder to take it off if you get it wrong so I always start with a very light coverage and build it up. Also, check it in different lighting. My bedroom has pretty horrendous lighting so I always check it in the bathroom, and in the hallway mirror before I leave. Probably a bit excessive but yeh, that's me.
    Same - I've now got into so much of a routine that I can't leave the house without makeup. I agree - less is more. If you have a massive spot on your face that you simply can't cover up no matter how hard you try, it's better to leave it alone as layers and layers of foundation just looks tacky. (It gets better on it's own faster as well!) Also make sure you smooth it in properly. Foundation lines are really awkward...

But if you feel more comfortable without it go without. You didn't sign a contract that you've reached a certain age so now you're obliged to wear makeup. Be yourself - you'll feel so much better and stop worrying.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.