Turn on thread page Beta

Use of the word splodge in a formal letter. watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got no idea where to put this post, as i don't think it fits anywhere, but anyway...
    I'm writing a letter of complaint about disfigurement of a card with a large red... splodge.
    Here's the problem.
    Is splodge an acceptable term in a formal complaint?
    And if not, what alternative is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I've got no idea where to put this post, as i don't think it fits anywhere, but anyway...
    I'm writing a letter of complaint about disfigurement of a card with a large red... splodge.
    Here's the problem.

large red mark
    large red addition

hmm tricky.....

you could say
    I'm writing a letter of complaint about disfigurement of a card with a large red splodge (for want of a better word)....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    large red mark
    large red addition

hmm tricky.....

you could say
    I'm writing a letter of complaint about disfigurement of a card with a large red splodge (for want of a better word)....
    Mark makes it sound insignificant, and addition doesn't really sound right in the context.

But i would have thought there would be some sort of more formal word for splodge, describing the size and nature of the large red splodge.

ReputationRep:
    Words similar to splodge: blot, daub, slur, smear, smirch, smudge, spot. You could also go for the definition of splodge - "an irregularly shaped spot".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Words similar to splodge: blot, daub, slur, smear, smirch, smudge, spot. You could also go for the definition of splodge - "an irregularly shaped spot".
    Yeah, maybe. But none of them sound right to be honest.
    They aren't really.... splodgy sounding.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you cannot use the word 'splodge'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    I don't see why you cannot use the word 'splodge'
    Well, it doesn't sound like the sort of word you'd use in formal correspondence.
    Although it is probably the most accurate word to use.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the problem.
    do it!
    There's nothing like being direct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    do it!
    There's nothing like being direct!
    Well yeah, maybe. But i'm trying to get as much compensation out of them in one form or another, so i want to sound like i mean business, and splodge certainly doesn't fit that criteria.

ReputationRep:
    "The card was disfigured with an irregularly shaped large red spot."

Don't see whats wrong with that, looks formal enough. Is this a birthday card type card, or like a bank card? What is the notorious splodge - jam? Blood?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe spot or smear may be appropriate

ReputationRep:
    "The card was disfigured with an irregularly shaped large red spot."

Don't see whats wrong with that, looks formal enough. Is this a birthday card type card, or like a bank card? What is the notorious splodge - jam? Blood?
    Spot sounds... round.
    Sorry, but i'm just very... wierd when it comes to describing things.

No, its a playing card (from a CCG (collectable card game)), and its almost certainly red ink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Maybe spot or smear may be appropriate
    Spot sounds round, and smear sounds like its been... streaked over the surface or something, or some from ink that's meant to be there, when its totally different to the ink that should be there.

ReputationRep:
    How about "mark"? I can understand it more if it is a collectable card, I was wondering why a red mark on like a bank card would need compensation!

ReputationRep:
    How about "mark"? I can understand it more if it is a collectable card, I was wondering why a red mark on like a bank card would need compensation!
    Mark counds like its a solid, more regular shape. Some sort of uniform disfigurement, such as a rectangle or something.

ReputationRep:
    How about 'smudge'? That's quite informal but it's less informal that 'splodge' despite the latter sounding better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    How about 'smudge'? That's quite informal but it's less informal that 'splodge' despite the latter sounding better.
    It sounds like it has come from something on the card that was originally meant to be there, but then misformed, rather than something totally alien looking from the card.

Isn't it great though how such an innane topic has got so many posts already?!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it great though how such an innane topic has got so many posts already?!
    That's life

p.s: You sounded so troubled i felt i had to reply

ReputationRep:
    Okay I've got some more suggestions!

blemish, blotch, blur, brand, defect, discoloration, disgrace, fault, flaw, mark, odium, onus, patch, slur, smear, smudge, speck, splash, spot, stain, stigma, taint

ReputationRep:
    Okay I've got some more suggestions!

blemish, blotch, blur, brand, defect, discoloration, disgrace, fault, flaw, mark, odium, onus, patch, slur, smear, smudge, speck, splash, spot, stain, stigma, taint
    Blemish : Sounds minor and insignificant
    Blotch : Sounds similar to the word splodge, but still sounds rather uniformly shaped
    Blur : Sounds like its an error with the colours that should be on there, rather than an addition of one that shouldn't
    Brand : Its not on the back of an animal!!!
    Defect: I already used the word in the run up to the sentence specifically describing the splodge
    Discolouration: See Defect
    Disgrace : See Defect, but used in different context
    Fault: See Defect
    Flaw : Sounds minor, and more with the physical dimentions of the card
    Mark: Already discounted
    Odium: Huh!
    Onus: See Odium
    Patch: Sounds more of a uniform shape and doesn't fit into the tone of the letter
    Slur : Doesn't sound like a word used to describe a physical appearence
    Smear: See Mark
    Smudge: See Mark
    Speck: See Blemish
    Splash: Sounds like it was water damage
    Spot: See Mark
    Stain: Sounds like damage i made, rather than already on the card
    Stigma: See Odium
    Taint: Sounds like a minor level of damage, a slight discolouration of existing colours

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.