Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    That's life

p.s: You sounded so troubled i felt i had to reply
    Ha!
    Well hardly. Its not like it matters too badly.
    Its just that although its minor, things like that can have a major influence on the response that you recieve.

ReputationRep:
    Out of alocin's suggestions, I would suggest....blotch, flaw or taint.....Maybe flaw is the best...

ReputationRep:
    Iluvator you must be terribly bored.

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for flaw or mark. That or you may have to just resign yourself to using splodge! Possibly in inverted commas, "splodge", so you communicate your slight distrust of the word!

ReputationRep:
    Iluvator you must be terribly bored.
    Well, sort of.
    Bored enough to get irate about you being the nth person to spell my name wrong!!!
    But i thought it was important enough to start a thread on, so i want to take suggestions seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well, sort of.
    Bored enough to get irate about you being the nth person to spell my name wrong!!!
    But i thought it was important enough to start a thread on, so i want to take suggestions seriously.
    Oops, i thought i had it right - I'll try again: Iluvatar

ReputationRep:
    I've got no idea where to put this post, as i don't think it fits anywhere, but anyway...
    I'm writing a letter of complaint about disfigurement of a card with a large red... splodge.
    Here's the problem.
    Is splodge an acceptable term in a formal complaint?
    And if not, what alternative is there?
    Globule's quite a good word! And I bet they'd have to look it up in a dictionary But I'd say 'blotch' is similar to 'splodge'.

ReputationRep:
    Oops, i thought i had it right - I'll try again: Iluvatar
    Yay! ...

I really need to get a life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Globule's quite a good word! And I bet they'd have to look it up in a dictionary But I'd say 'blotch' is similar to 'splodge'.
    But that sounds like its raised significantly above the card, and has some sort of texture and substance to it.

ReputationRep:
    But that sounds like its raised significantly above the card, and has some sort of texture and substance to it.
    Blemish, smear, stain, smudge? Or if it's ink, people usually refer to an ink blot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Blemish, smear, stain, smudge? Or if it's ink, people usually refer to an ink blot.
    Been through (and discounted) all of those.
    The ink (i assume its ink), isn't really in an ink blot effect.

ReputationRep:
    Then why not say "a mark that looks like a red ink blot". If the card is disfigured you should get your money back whether it's a mark, a blot or a splodge. Why not send the card or a photocopy of it so that they can see what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    But I don't think your reason for discounting 'stain' is right-
    'Stain: Sounds like damage i made, rather than already on the card.' All you have to say is that when you opened the cards you noticed a red stain on one of them (i.e. make it clear that this was as soon as you opened them, so couldn't have been something that you'd caused)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Then why not say "a mark that looks like a red ink blot". If the card is disfigured you should get your money back whether it's a mark, a blot or a splodge. Why not send the card or a photocopy of it so that they can see what you mean?
    Because it looks like a splodge of red ink, not a blot.
    Well, hopefully, i'll get more than my money back .
    I am going to, but i want to find out exactly what they want, what should go with it and stuff.
    The last time i wrote somewhere to complain, i sent the offending item, and they replied back saying i needed to send it with the receipt and stuff, so i'm not going to let myself make that mistake again.
    And i don't have ready access to a photocopier either.

ReputationRep:
    Globule reminds me of describing something in Biology....I still think 'flaw is a good word...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    But I don't think your reason for discounting 'stain' is right-
    'Stain: Sounds like damage i made, rather than already on the card.' All you have to say is that when you opened the cards you noticed a red stain on one of them (i.e. make it clear that this was as soon as you opened them, so couldn't have been something that you'd caused)
    But the sentence i am using is really specific, and i don't want to have to overcomplicate it with any other sort of description in it.
    Okay then. Stain also sounds like it isn't permenant, like it can be wiped off, or is just on the surface of the card.

ReputationRep:
    But the sentence i am using is really specific, and i don't want to have to overcomplicate it with any other sort of description in it.
    Okay then. Stain also sounds like it isn't permenant, like it can be wiped off, or is just on the surface of the card.
    Not really, 'mark' sounds like that but I think 'stain' sounds pretty permanent. If you get a stain on a top, you can't get it off. If you can get it off, it wasn't a stain. You could always say one of the cards is 'soiled'- that word is disgusting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Not really, 'mark' sounds like that but I think 'stain' sounds pretty permanent. If you get a stain on a top, you can't get it off. If you can get it off, it wasn't a stain. You could always say one of the cards is 'soiled'- that word is disgusting!
    Well that must be a personal thing to me then. I associate stain with temporary.

Soiled. Eww!
    But if it truly was, imagine the compensation i'd get!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well that must be a personal thing to me then. I associate stain with temporary.

Soiled. Eww!
    But if it truly was, imagine the compensation i'd get!!!
    LOL! But soiled does only mean dirty. It's just most people associate it with something else! When I worked in a horrible factory we had to put our 'soiled' uniforms in one laundry basket and 'slightly soiled' ones in another. On my 1st day I wondered what the heck they made people do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    LOL! But soiled does only mean dirty. It's just most people associate it with something else! When I worked in a horrible factory we had to put our 'soiled' uniforms in one laundry basket and 'slightly soiled' ones in another. On my 1st day I wondered what the heck they made people do!
    I know that. But it isn't dirt though.
    And they'd probably think it was a joke if i said it was soiled.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.