Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to get a toned bum and belly Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    I think smaller and toned do you not think squats will do this? I think my diet has alot to with it, im a sweet fan and love cakes shall i cut them out completely or is one or two a week okl?
    There's no point cutting out treats completely, just make sure it's in moderation. I'm not particularly an advocate of harsh diets either, but then I'm certainly no expert and can't say my diet is that great anyway! Squats without weights would help the bum to become a bit firmer yeah, also try lunges, donkey kicks, sprinting, crosstrainer and step machine (at the gym)...there's loads of youtube videos about how to tone up, with simple exercises that you can do at home even just walking or jogging can have an effect after a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a fatty treat everyday or you won't see a **** of definition. Once every week is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Recently since starting uni ive put on a bit of weight, I would however like to tone up my bum and tummy. I would love to a washboard tummy and toned bum I know this would be alot of work but its a goal Id like to work towards.

The only thing is I have no idea what exercies to do etc so any advice would be great

thankyou
    take up running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Yeah they're there, everyone has abs, if you can't feel them or see them they are just covered by a layer of fat more than likely (not an insult btw.)

Ah, best to stick to body weight squats to be on the safe side then I think. Cut out the alcohol if you can. Useless calories.
    I think its had alot to do with it as I didnt drink before I came to uni and as soon as I did the pounds have come crawling on I do spinning classes oncea week though to try burn fat

(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    There's no point cutting out treats completely, just make sure it's in moderation. I'm not particularly an advocate of harsh diets either, but then I'm certainly no expert and can't say my diet is that great anyway! Squats without weights would help the bum to become a bit firmer yeah, also try lunges, donkey kicks, sprinting, crosstrainer and step machine (at the gym)...there's loads of youtube videos about how to tone up, with simple exercises that you can do at home even just walking or jogging can have an effect after a couple of weeks.
    I will youtube them now thankyou so much for your help! and ill try curb my cake addiction!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzl8)
    take up running
    I cant because I have a bad heart so keep passing out as soon as I get out of breath

ReputationRep:
    Squat for your bum, and do lunges.

Stomach is trickier since it's more about the fat over the top, but planking is really good to strengthen your core (lie in the press-up position but propped up on your elbows, with hands clasped in front of you, and hold it as long as possible)

ReputationRep:
    I cant because I have a bad heart so keep passing out as soon as I get out of breath
    awww..id say a lot of situps and squats then..they are really good to tone up..there are also various videos on youtube of which some are really good...

also invest in some light weights and a aerobics ball

ReputationRep:
    I think its had alot to do with it as I didnt drink before I came to uni and as soon as I did the pounds have come crawling on I do spinning classes oncea week though to try burn fat
    Yeah, I would defo try to stop drinking as much then.

Good luck with it SillyMilly.

ReputationRep:
    planks : although only a few of them in link will concentrate on your abs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSRm8k5Yxo

ReputationRep:
    Lunges/Squats/mountain climbs for bum, knee or leg raises/planks for abs.

If you can't jog, just walk an extra 30-60mins per day too burn some extra fat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Yeah they're there, everyone has abs, if you can't feel them or see them they are just covered by a layer of fat more than likely (not an insult btw.)
    It's alright - I've found them. Took me a while to remember that muscle isn't rock solid. I think I was expecting to find a steel plate or something.

ReputationRep:
    Simple. Do Taekwon-do that will firm the legs and buttocks up. The belly your going have to eat healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My diet has got a bit rubbish since I came to uni im trying to limit myself too one 'bad' treat a day so like today I had fish and chips for lunch but brown rice and veg for dinner or do you think even having fatty foods once a day is bad?
    Yes, having unhealthy food once a day is bad. I normally follow my diet, but then on Friday I allow myself to eat one thing that I really want.

Also, I noticed in your question you say 'do you think even having fatty foods once a day is bad?' . I just want to note that the issue is normally not with food which is fatty, but food which is high in carbs. Excess of consumed carbs is why you gain weight. If you do decide to change your eating habits, you should bear in mind that just cutting on calories is not enough. You need to cut on the 'bad calories'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audre)
    Yes, having unhealthy food once a day is bad. I normally follow my diet, but then on Friday I allow myself to eat one thing that I really want.

Also, I noticed in your question you say 'do you think even having fatty foods once a day is bad?' . I just want to note that the issue is normally not with food which is fatty, but food which is high in carbs. Excess of consumed carbs is why you gain weight. If you do decide to change your eating habits, you should bear in mind that just cutting on calories is not enough. You need to cut on the 'bad calories'.
    Being at uni I eat a fair amount of rice and pasta do you think these are bad carbs shall I try limiting them?

ReputationRep:
    Pasta and rice are not too bad. Brown rice would be better than white, as they are made of more complex carbs. Pasta is also ok as long as you don't eat too much of it.

ReputationRep:
    stop drinking. drinks have so many calorie. and crunches and squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    I'm currently toning my stomach and bum, and have found it's actually working pretty quick.

I do 30-40 situps a night and 20 squats, doesn't take too long but I noticed results even just over a week.

Good luck!

uhm random negs?
    I didn't neg but you're not supposed to work the same muscle everyday. People don't work their arms everyday so you shouldn't do abs everyday but when do you workout. It's supposed to be hard in order to get results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahWorksout)
    I didn't neg but you're not supposed to work the same muscle everyday. People don't work their arms everyday so you shouldn't do abs everyday but when do you workout. It's supposed to be hard in order to get results
    I was just saying what works for me . It's not really intensive exercise so I'm sure it'll be fine. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Bum-

Jump squat: a normal squat but as you come up you jump a couple inches from the ground (do it 15 times)

Stance squat: do 4 normal squats and then jump twist and do another 4 squats (4 times, so 4 front, 4 back and then 4 front, 4 back)

Swing kick: stand behind a stool or lower chair and lift one leg after another, back and forth over the chair (do as many as you can in 1 minute)

Jump knee tuck: keep upper body cal while jumping up and pulling you knees in towards your chest. Use your hands as targets to your knees

Once finished. Repeat that them again in that order. So would do each workout twice and then rest for 30 seconds

Wall squat: find a wall, put your back on a wall and lower your body like you're sitting on a chair. Hold for 15 seconds, come up a bit rest for 5 seconds and then come back down and hold for 15 seconds (30 second total)

Step forward lunges: stand straight then go into a lunge with your left foot, go back up and then go into a lunge with your right. Keep switching. Do 8 each leg

Balance lunge: place top of your foot on a chair. Lunge outward with the other leg and go down into the lunge with that one leg. Do it 15 times then switch legs

Squat reach jump: do normals sqauts but go and down fast and when you go up jump really high and then come back down (do this 20 times)

Once done, repeat the same 4 workouts again in that order

Thats quick and easy thigh & bum routine you can do at home which should last 20 mins

As for the flat toned stomach, that's easy. In my P90X workout, I have one called Ab ripper X. Go on YouTube and search "Ab ripper x" there are lots of videos of people who have uploaded videos of themselves doing the whole routine. Watch any of them and copy what they do

Its kind of hard, it's a mix of core, crunches and sit ups. The whole thing is 15 mins long. And you will do around 300 reps of different stomach exercises. It's amazing. Do Ab ripper X every other day (3 or 4 times a week)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've recommended these guys videos quite a lot but I think they're fun workouts, also with some low impact cardio for you to try with your heart condition but that's down for you to decide if it's low impact enough.

http://www.youtube.com/fitnessblender

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.