Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to get a toned bum and belly Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I am neither. I weigh between 68 and 71kg and am 166cm tall.

I eat a varied diet, but as an example what I ate yesterday was: skyr and milk for breakfast with a cup of tea, a banana, an apple. Lunch was a slice of bread with this thing called a karbonade (a bit like a burger, but made with lean mince), 2 slices of crisp bread - one with prawns in mayo and one with salami, some mixed nuts, a huge bowl of venison stew with carrot, turnip and celeriac mash and some quark for dessert.

On training days I will have more milk and often a protein shake.

I train 4-6 times a week lifting heavy weights.

Where did your pro trainer get the 1300 cals figure from?
    :curious:
    Do a calorie count of that diet.
    You would be lucky to reach 1800 with that let alone your 2600. To then bridge the gap with milk is poor.
    The trainer got it from her experience and seeing how lean and strong she is, I would say she has a good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    Hey

Recently since starting uni ive put on a bit of weight, I would however like to tone up my bum and tummy. I would love to a washboard tummy and toned bum I know this would be alot of work but its a goal Id like to work towards.

The only thing is I have no idea what exercies to do etc so any advice would be great

thankyou
    Do squats for your bum.

For the belly, you can do sit-ups of varying kinds. Do the plank, for as long as you can hold it.

If you are feeling brave I have another suggestion which has actually worked quite well for me so far. Google images of 'bench press with dumbbells'. Try doing this but just using one arm at a time with the heaviest weight you can do it with. Do about 3 sets of 5 reps, the fifth rep should have your arm falling off Might sound odd but I swear this is working for me. The reason why I suggest it is because by doing this exercise on just one side of your body at a time you are forcing your whole body to counter the weight, you have this twisting effect and you can really feel it in your lower abdomen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilt)
    Google exercises to help with areas you want to tone
    You can't spot reduce/tone up a belly through specific exercises. Only cardio can do that...flat stomach=low body fat %

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    :curious:
    Do a calorie count of that diet.
    You would be lucky to reach 1800 with that let alone your 2600. To then bridge the gap with milk is poor.
    The trainer got it from her experience and seeing how lean and strong she is, I would say she has a good point.
    Yeah should probably add amounts in there. I assure youit was around 2300 cals. I'm not trying to bulk atm, just want enough energy to fuel my training and job.
    Point remains that 1300 calories is very little for an active person and advising someone who clearly doesn't have much knowledge about exercise or diet to eat 1300 a day could be dangerous.
    I'm a firm believer in slow and steady. Up your activity levels and see what effect that has (give it at least 3-4 months) then reduce your caloric intake. 1300 cals a day is little even for someone who is very sedentary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    the best way to lose fat is to gain muscle.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yeah should probably add amounts in there. I assure youit was around 2300 cals. I'm not trying to bulk atm, just want enough energy to fuel my training and job.
    Point remains that 1300 calories is very little for an active person and advising someone who clearly doesn't have much knowledge about exercise or diet to eat 1300 a day could be dangerous.
    I'm a firm believer in slow and steady. Up your activity levels and see what effect that has (give it at least 3-4 months) then reduce your caloric intake. 1300 cals a day is little even for someone who is very sedentary.
    So explain how Jamie Eason and many women like her eat 1300 cals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    What?
    Actually a fair point that just needs a little explanation. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body uses, therefore making it easier to burn fat with the right training and diet. Pretty simplistic explanation, but that's the essence of it.
    The big myth is that you can "replace" fat with muscle or turn fat cells into muscles. You simply lose fat and gain muscle.

So explain how Jamie Eason and many women like her eat 1300 cals
    Because they are at a body fat which is incredibly difficult to attain and maintain. Also it is in their career interests to eat that little to maintain extreme leanness. No "normal" person should be aiming for that, especially not when just starting out.
    I am also pretty sure that they don't always eat 1300 calories. Have no evidence for this, but I know most people would be pretty damn cranky only eating that little all the time.

You wouldn't give a complete noob at weightlifting the same training and diet program Ilya Ilyin does and say got on with it, just as you wouldn't give someone who has never driven a car before and F1 car to drive. Same with this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Actually a fair point that just needs a little explanation. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body uses, therefore making it easier to burn fat with the right training and diet. Pretty simplistic explanation, but that's the essence of it.
    The big myth is that you can "replace" fat with muscle or turn fat cells into muscles. You simply lose fat and gain muscle.
    Yeah I thought that's what he meant, but it's certainly not the easiest way, it's not a very effective way of losing fat at all. I don't remember the exact figures but it's something like each pound of muscle will burn 10 calories a day or something pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Because they are at a body fat which is incredibly difficult to attain and maintain. Also it is in their career interests to eat that little to maintain extreme leanness. No "normal" person should be aiming for that, especially not when just starting out.
    I am also pretty sure that they don't always eat 1300 calories. Have no evidence for this, but I know most people would be pretty damn cranky only eating that little all the time.

You wouldn't give a complete noob at weightlifting the same training and diet program Ilya Ilyin does and say got on with it, just as you wouldn't give someone who has never driven a car before and F1 car to drive. Same with this question.
    It isn't that hard to attain or maintain if you just eat the right things and do regular exercise. It is far easier than bulking and strength gains. Everyone could aim for that if they wanted to. To say anything else is either a myth or a lack of understanding, and this is somewhat evident when you compared it to strength. Obviously you need muscle mass to get strength, but not so much when it comes to being lean.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't that hard to attain or maintain if you just eat the right things and do regular exercise. It is far easier than bulking and strength gains. Everyone could aim for that if they wanted to. To say anything else is either a myth or a lack of understanding, and this is somewhat evident when you compared it to strength. Obviously you need muscle mass to get strength, but not so much when it comes to being lean.
    That depends on what you want to look like when you are lean...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    Hey

Recently since starting uni ive put on a bit of weight, I would however like to tone up my bum and tummy. I would love to a washboard tummy and toned bum I know this would be alot of work but its a goal Id like to work towards.

The only thing is I have no idea what exercies to do etc so any advice would be great

thankyou
    Good way to get a nice bum is to squat and deadlift with a weight that you can get 10 reps of. You don't have to worry about getting too muscular, as girls do not secrete as much testosterone as guys do so you won't pack on serious muscle even if you try.

As for getting a tight stomach, abdominal exercises won't help that much as you cannot target an area to lose fat on. I would go on a cutting diet of around 250-500 kcal / day. You can easily calculate your daily caloric requirements through using the cunningham formula (the full details should be in one of the first page google results). Just calculate your daily maintainance calories and eat at around 250-500kcal under that value. A KG of fat is around 9000kcal, so you can estimate how quickly you are losing fat. However, try to stay within the 250-500kcal cutting range as cutting below 250-500 may hinder your process instead of speeding it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Posting to say I didn't mean the highlighted. Not that you're saying I meant that, but, y'know.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree, bulking and strength gains are comparatively easy - especially if one dispenses with the desire to remain lean whilst getting bigger/stronger.

Strength training, especially for a beginner, sees a linear progression, with the big lifts increasing weekly.

Its worth looking at Jamie Easons personal photos on her Profile, in my opinion she looks great in the promo shots, but way too drawn out in the non-airbrushed images. She is forcing her body to an unnaturally low bodyfat % and it isn't necessarily healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jd1982)
    Disagree, bulking and strength gains are comparatively easy - especially if one dispenses with the desire to remain lean whilst getting bigger/stronger.
    Not really as you need to have the right amount of protein and carbs to get good gains. Many people fail to do this.

Strength training, especially for a beginner, sees a linear progression, with the big lifts increasing weekly.
    But that will plateau, and it is breaking that which is hard. Cutting has no plateau and can be done within weeks, not months/years.

Its worth looking at Jamie Easons personal photos on her Profile, in my opinion she looks great in the promo shots, but way too drawn out in the non-airbrushed images. She is forcing her body to an unnaturally low bodyfat % and it isn't necessarily healthy.
    I know what you mean, but I think she looks ok, but she is at ~14-15% bf. Lower than that is a problem for women and many do look ill and have to eat strange/unhealthy diets.

ReputationRep:
    Not really as you need to have the right amount of protein and carbs to get good gains. Many people fail to do this.

But that will plateau, and it is breaking that which is hard. Cutting has no plateau and can be done within weeks, not months/years.

I know what you mean, but I think she looks ok, but she is at ~14-15% bf. Lower than that is a problem for women and many do look ill and have to eat strange/unhealthy diets.
    You do indeed need enough carbs and proteins, but this is very easily done on a dirty bulk (pizza anyone!?). My point is cutting requires discipline, bulking does not necessarily - it should do of course, but just getting bigger and stronger doesn't require a precise diet. Remember we have separated being lean and getting big as two different goals.

I do agree that cutting can be done very quickly, on paper. But again, a beginner needs to work out what works for them, which takes time. Of course strength will plateau - but not at the beginner stage, not for quite a while.

Remember that theory and practice are very different - for example, many people enjoy weight training and are happy to bust a gut 3-4 times a week. In my experience, considerably fewer people enjoy training diets.

Therefore the difficulty is subjective. Bulking seemed hard when I didn't know what I was doing, but now I can build lean mass as and when I want. The real difficulty is building strength and mass whilst staying lean...

ReputationRep:
    Also re: Jamie Eason, don't get me wrong, in any case I still definitely would! I think different figures suit different bodyfat levels - I can't imagine Nigella Lawson at 15%!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.