Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Evening all,
    This is rather embarrassing, but I'm a first year undergrad chemistry student and I'm really struggling with some of the maths in my course. I never took A-Level maths (which I'm seriously regretting now) which definitely doesn't help matters.

Are there any books or web sources that you could suggest for me, or people I could talk to about properly learning what I'm doing?

I'd need the books to be really clear, and start from a fairly basic level so I can follow it to at least the level of maths I'm doing at the moment (differential equations, power series, complex numbers and vectors). Even if there are A-Level maths books which you think may help, suggest them as well, I'll try anything to help make me understand it.

I've already tried seeing some people at the uni, but I still have trouble understanding the most of it. Also I have a couple of books, but the don't always help (currently have Maths for Chemists by Monk and Munro as well as Maths for Chemists Vol 1 & 2 by Cockett & Doggett)

Any recommendations that anyone could make would be greatly appreciated. I really need to nail the maths behind it all, which I'm currently not doing.

Thank you.

P.S. I know this may seem like a more chemistry-based thread, but I hope that any mathematicians could suggest things from past experience etc.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicMetalhead)
    Evening all,
    This is rather embarrassing, but I'm a first year undergrad chemistry student and I'm really struggling with some of the maths in my course. I never took A-Level maths (which I'm seriously regretting now) which definitely doesn't help matters.

Are there any books or web sources that you could suggest for me, or people I could talk to about properly learning what I'm doing?

I'd need the books to be really clear, and start from a fairly basic level so I can follow it to at least the level of maths I'm doing at the moment (differential equations, power series, complex numbers and vectors). Even if there are A-Level maths books which you think may help, suggest them as well, I'll try anything to help make me understand it.

I've already tried seeing some people at the uni, but I still have trouble understanding the most of it. Also I have a couple of books, but the don't always help (currently have Maths for Chemists by Monk and Munro as well as Maths for Chemists Vol 1 & 2 by Cockett & Doggett)

Any recommendations that anyone could make would be greatly appreciated. I really need to nail the maths behind it all, which I'm currently not doing.

Thank you.

P.S. I know this may seem like a more chemistry-based thread, but I hope that any mathematicians could suggest things from past experience etc.
    I'm not familiar with the requirements of undergrad Chemistry, but from what you've said I'd suggest trying to get a look at a book called 'Engineering Mathematics' by K A Stroud (not sure what version it's on now). Don't be put off by the title - it's basically a highly readable summary of A level and just-above techniques like algebra, trig, calculus, complex numbers, matrices and vectors. Obviously it's aimed at "engineers" but there's nothing in it that I would call "engineering" so I think it could help a wider audience

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the level, https://www.khanacademy.org/ might have something to help. It's designed to help people self-teach, and quite accessible. It's also free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicMetalhead)
    Evening all,

You could take a look at:

Maths: A Student's Survival Guide

It starts from pre-A-level, and covers the majority of the topics that you mention. It takes very much a hand-holding kind of approach, with rather extensive and slow development of the various subjects.

You'll almost certainly have to supplement this with other books too, of course: it only takes you some of the way through an A level course, and you'll need more than that for a chemistry degree.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.