Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Anybody going to Napier University interview day on March 25th (2013) for Nursing - Shortened Graduate Route. Just got my invite today.

Two issues:

Anyone started preparing this essay?

Anyone know the dress code for the event?! I hate being the over dressed guy or even under dressed!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hiya,
    I'm going to the interview day on the 25th as well
    were you sent information on an essay? i havn't received any info yet, have no idea what to expect. I assume it is smart interviewy clothes but that's just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hey GaelicGal Might I be right in thinking your Irish then?! I didn't get sent any information, but I did email some guy called George Petrie from Napier's Nursing Admissions team, he said the following regarding the day itself:

INTERVIEW
    Just over two weeks before the interview those short listed will be sent an invitation by post inviting them for interview. The date will already be on UCAS tracker. Up to 60 candidates will be called for the interview day which will begin at 9.15am and candidates may have to be available until late afternoon.
    The interview event will take most of the day. There will be various information sessions and activities.
    The main selection activity of the day is the group interview lasting around one hour, involving anything from 9 to 13 candidates. A member of the teaching team will facilitate the event. Each candidate will have a picture that can generate discussion on a health related topic the candidate will be asked to respond to the picture in several ways. This will include
    Ø Describing their picture to the other candidates and teaching staff.
    Ø Indicating positive and negative health factors in the picture.
    Ø Discussing possible nurse/midwife involvement in the health matters arising from the picture.

There may be an opportunity for wider discussion involving the whole group, during the hour. The group interview will be observed by at least two members of staff who will score each candidate’s performance, including the initial ice breaker activity. Demonstrating communication skills - verbal and nonverbal is vital. Insights relating to health and the role and activity of the nurse/midwife have to be included. In addition views, attitudes and values expressed by the candidate will be noted. Candidates are advised of the importance of being engaged in the exercise throughout the hour.
    Using an A4 sheet as a guide there is a 10 minute walk through the University Learning Resource Centre (Library) There will be the opportunity to explore the practice placement booklet student nurses and midwives use throughout their placements (50%of the course). There will be a short video clip giving a virtual tour of the extensive clinical skills facilities at the Sighthill Campus. On the day of the interview candidates must write and submit a short essay – one to one and a half sides of A4. The topic for those being interviewed for nursing is ‘The importance of communication in nursing’. The midwifery topic is ‘Should women have choice in childbirth?’.
    Candidates will find the result of their interview on UCAS tracker (with any conditions) within 2 weeks of the interview day.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you guessed correctly! Im from Tyrone! Thanks so much for sharing that info, if I hear anything else ill let you know! Fingers crossed the day goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm also going to the interview day on the 25th. Got a letter through the mail the other day, which didn't say much except to bring birth certificate and qualification certificates. It gave really little information about the day itself.

Do any of you know more about this Group Interview, because I don't think it's very clear what we have to do for it.

=]

ReputationRep:
    Why must you bring your Birth Certificate and Qualification Transcripts? Is that everyone or just certain people? Are you a non EU citizen?

Yeah the information is somewhat mis-informative, look at the post I made earlier with the link from the nursing school. It helps a bit.

Ice Breaker,Essay, Picture Presentation, Tour, Individual Interview (Possibly), be prepared for anything I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I think everyone has to bring qualification transcripts with them on the day! Its probly so they can they can check we have the appropiate degree /qualification for the course!
    Hope everyones prep is going well! Trying not to get too nervous!

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview for this course two weeks ago and was given a conditional offer on Friday (pending PVG and birth certificate).

I hope everything goes well for everyone being interviewed tomorrow. Think about your essay ahead of time and contribute a lot to the group interview discussions. I found that notes were taken whenever I spoke and raised a point that they liked. There were some applicants who did not speak unless it was to present for those 2-3 minutes that we all did. Be confident yet relaxed.

Good luck all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I actually got into Stirling last week, so I won't be attending the interview day tomorrow as I'm too busy with my current degree. Just wanted to wish you all good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Girls
    I have my nursing interview this June and was hoping you could tell me as much info as ye remember from the day. What were the pictures like and what questions where you asked regarding the pictures. I know the essay is the importance of communication in nursing but how much were you expected to write and what else happens on the day??? any info would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a group interview for napier later this month, its an adult conversion course.
    Does anybody remember the kinds of pictures or statements that came up in the interview or any advice/tips?
    Any help would be great

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have the graduate nursing interview on Monday coming. Does anyone here have any advice? Do you have to know any current issues within nursing? any help with this interview would be great

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I applied for adult nursing at Napier Uni and I get a group inteview on 11th August 2016.
    I am just worry about the pictures they are going to give us to explain in front of a large group.

Please is there somenone who can tell me what were exactly the pictures ?

Cheers !

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I had my interview back in March and the group discussion is totally fine so don't worry about it! The pictures are varied from the elderly, homeless, hospital appearances, young, families... there's a wide variety but all you need to do is find the postives, negatives, nurses impact and general thoughts of the picture. Everyone contributes so you're not left alone! good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinB1309)
    Hey! I had my interview back in March and the group discussion is totally fine so don't worry about it! The pictures are varied from the elderly, homeless, hospital appearances, young, families... there's a wide variety but all you need to do is find the postives, negatives, nurses impact and general thoughts of the picture. Everyone contributes so you're not left alone! good luck

Thank you Caitlin for your reply, that's so kind !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.