Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Will a Chemical Engineering MEng get me into Nuclear Engineering? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have thinking a lot lately and have decided that nuclear engineering looks like a totally fascinating job (ideally, i'd love to later do a phD in nuclear engineering and do some research whilst also still working in industry - but thats another thing all together!)

I am about to start a Chemical Engineering masters degree at either Manchester or Nottingham, and was just wondering whether this was sufficient? Or should i do a ChemEng BEng and then complete a MSc in Nuclear engineering?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    please anyone, even you're saying 'i don't know'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)

should i do a ChemEng BEng and then complete a MSc in Nuclear engineering?

Thanks!
    do this!!! companys prefer you to do msc rather thanm meng

ReputationRep:
    On Friday a nuclear engineer came to give a lecture at my uni, he did mechanical engineering MENG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottomsup!)
    do this!!! companys prefer you to do msc rather thanm meng
    really?! i can't tell you how many times i've heard the reverse haha!

ReputationRep:
    both ways you will be able to become chartered. but msc shows indepemdent research
    while meng's are usually extension of beng.

ReputationRep:
    Yes an MEng in Chemical Engineering would certainly not harm your chances of a career in Nuclear Engineering. I'm on the Rolls-Royce Nuclear Engineering Scheme and there are a number of MEng chemical engineers also on the scheme.

If you want to do an MSc instead, a number of them include a placement in industry as part of them and this is an excellent way to gain experience for interviews or even offered a job after the placement. See Imperials MSc in Nuclear Engineering or the Physics and Technology of Nuclear Reactors course at Birmingham.

If you want to do a Phd, honestly I'd say do one before entering industry. Companies are less keen on funding them nowadays. See the Dalton Nuclear Institute for their DEng scheme in nuclear engineering which pays quite well.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.