Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am currently taking 5 AS Levels at Sixth Form:
    • AQA Maths
    • OCR A Chemistry
    • AQA A Physics
    • OCR Economics
    • AQA General Studies (LOL-doesn't really count.)

I just got AAAAB in today's results with the B in AQA A Physics.
    I got 88/120 ums and the A ums grade was 96/120.

So, I just have a few questions:

- Does anyone know the percentage contributions of each of the units of AS Physics towards the final AS grade and also the A2 grade?

- Do you think it is worth me resitting, and a) will this impact my university application and b) how difficult would it be for me to attain an A, given my current grade if I did not choose to resit (i.e. I am assuming I would only need to average mid 80%s in the remaining modules).

-Also, does anyone have any advice on dropping subjects at the end of year 12. The only subject I am considering dropping is Physics and I was wondering whether it would be feasible to pick up Further Maths at AS. Do you think getting say a B for Physics at A2 is more valuable to universities?

I am looking to study Economics at University and my ideal uni would me somewhere like UCL or LSE, however this may be challenging as their typical offer is A*AA.

I am predicted AAAB, but I know I am capable of A*AAA with the A* in Maths and maybe even more A*s if I push hard in Economics and Chemistry as I got decent UMS grades in them. (Should I lessen my workload and drop Physics which is my weakest subject and instead focus on getting three quality A2 grades for uni?) - I do already have a B in AS Accounting and an A in AS Extended which I took in Year 11.

Do uni's prefer 3 great A levels, let's say A*AA, over 4 good A levels -AAAA? I've seen on UCAS course search that Uni's prefer 3.5 A Levels and I'm quite confused?!

Thanks for reading this lengthy crap and I'd be grateful if you have any advice!

ReputationRep:
    For first question it is basically add up the UMS. E.g. OCR chemistry 80/90 in unit 1, 120/150 in unit 2, 45/60 in practical, you will end up with 245/300, which is around 82% (a low A for AS) And this will count half of your overall A-level (600 UMS in total, 300 each for AS and A2)

ReputationRep:
    For second question if i were you i will leave it first and see how June exam will go. Because normally the first AS unit is link to first A2 unit. Therefore it is better to retake your AS JAN exam at next year Jan because you can improve both of your score in the same time. As i saw your result today is quite good and you don't need to resit immediately.

ReputationRep:
    For Third question, I suggest you to drop physics. Because the '3.5 alevel' actually means 3 A2 and 1AS, and i am quite sure they like A*AAa more than AAAA.(It will be better to get A* in econ as you want to apply for LSE/UCL econ) Moreover, A2 will be a lot harder and the worst come you may end up a C in physics. Not joking I got all A's is phy and chem in AS but i got all B's in this Jan exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom689)
    Hi guys,

I just got AAAAB in today's results with the B in AQA A Physics.
    I got 88/120 ums and the A ums grade was 96/120.
    Well done! Those are some really good grades

So, I just have a few questions:

- Does anyone know the percentage contributions of each of the units of AS Physics towards the final AS grade and also the A2 grade?
    That was 40% of your overall mark for the AS, and 20% of your overall for the A2. Unit 2 will be another 40% of the AS and the practical (ISA/EMPA) will be 20% of the AS.

- Do you think it is worth me resitting, and a) will this impact my university application and b) how difficult would it be for me to attain an A, given my current grade if I did not choose to resit (i.e. I am assuming I would only need to average mid 80%s in the remaining modules).
    You could still gain an A. I'm in Year 13 and my lowest mark was in Unit 1 (including Unit 4 which I got yesterday). Unit 2 is IMO easier, a bit more mathsy, so you should be able to do better on that. I don't think it's worth retaking unless you know you can do a lot better. How did the exam go?

-Also, does anyone have any advice on dropping subjects at the end of year 12. The only subject I am considering dropping is Physics and I was wondering whether it would be feasible to pick up Further Maths at AS. Do you think getting say a B for Physics at A2 is more valuable to universities?

I am looking to study Economics at University and my ideal uni would me somewhere like UCL or LSE, however this may be challenging as their typical offer is A*AA.

I am predicted AAAB, but I know I am capable of A*AAA with the A* in Maths and maybe even more A*s if I push hard in Economics and Chemistry as I got decent UMS grades in them. (Should I lessen my workload and drop Physics which is my weakest subject and instead focus on getting three quality A2 grades for uni?) - I do already have a B in AS Accounting and an A in AS Extended which I took in Year 11.

Do uni's prefer 3 great A levels, let's say A*AA, over 4 good A levels -AAAA?I've seen on UCAS course search that Uni's prefer 3.5 A Levels and I'm quite confused?!
    I'd recommend dropping Phyics, and MAYBE taking up AS Further Maths (it's only a little harder than AS Maths), although really you might not even need Further Maths. It's better to have 3 really great A-Levels than 4 good ones. 3.5 A-Levels means 3 A-Levels and an AS

Good luck, and well done on your grades

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thank you guys, cheers for all the helo!!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.