Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Calculation of final grades - UMS or raw marks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was wondering about the procedure by which exam boards award final grades at the end of your two years at A-Levels (given that you don't retake any years). I understand that exam boards add up your "grades" for the individual modules you sat for each subject, but I happen to be confused over what they add up. Due to the fact that we get our results in the form of UMS, I was wondering if raw marks have any contribution to our final grades, except that they are converted to form the generally used UMS system.

I was wondering because there seems to be confusion amongst my friends at Sixth Form over what exam boards do to work out our final grades. Due to discussion and listening to various points, both the addition of raw marks (followed by the conversion of UMS using a final table of cumulative grades across individual modules that form an A-Level qualification) and the addition of UMS after the conversion of raw marks that are shown on our results sheet for the individual modules (NOT cumulative) seem reasonable. So after having assumed that the UMS grades shown on our results sheet are all compounded to give our final grades for each subject, I am now more confused than ever.

So to make things more clear and to clarify my query, I just want to know how final grades are determined by an exam board. Do they compound the UMS grades across your individual modules to give you a final outcome out of the total UMS available? Or do they add all of your raw marks up and then convert your total raw marks to a UMS result out of the total UMS available?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Its very simple, its done by adding the UMS marks you see!
    So for an AS course out of 300 UMS and A will be 80% of that!
    for an A2 course out of 600, and A will be 480 (80%)!
    No mixxing together raw marks.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    It's all done with ums. Ums is your "official" mark as it were and it is your ums marks for each individual module that are aggregated together to get an overall ums mark for your subject; and that will determine your grade for that subject.

The only role played by raw marks are to calculate the corresponding ums mark for that paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david2457)
    Its very simple, its done by adding the UMS marks you see!
    So for an AS course out of 300 UMS and A will be 80% of that!
    for an A2 course out of 600, and A will be 480 (80%)!
    No mixxing together raw marks.
    Hope that helps.
    Okay thank you for clarifying things, it is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pleonasm)
    It's all done with ums. Ums is your "official" mark as it were and it is your ums marks for each individual module that are aggregated together to get an overall ums mark for your subject; and that will determine your grade for that subject.

The only role played by raw marks are to calculate the corresponding ums mark for that paper.
    Thanks for clarifying! I prefer raw marks at times when grade boundaries tend to be higher than normal (like this year) but I have to accept it. Thanks again!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.