Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know if this is the right forum because General Uni Discussion doesn't exist anymore.
    But I was wondering if International Relations and International Studies are the same degree? I'm looking at Study Exchanges but some of the abroad Unis say International Studies and not International Relations, are they interchangeable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PC2852)
    I don't even know if this is the right forum because General Uni Discussion doesn't exist anymore.
    General University Discussion wasn't the right forum either! Now your thread is in the right forum, which you can find by using the 'Forums' tab.

ReputationRep:
    "International Studies" in this context, will most likely just refer to all the courses/modules on offer for incoming Study Abroad students. These could be across any discipline.

In general terms, International Relations can form a part of your learning in International Studies, but they are not the same, no. International Studies as a degree is a generalised term encompassing a very broad range of topics, including ideas in Economics, Politics, any other Social Sciences, Languages etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PC2852)
    But I was wondering if International Relations and International Studies are the same degree? I'm looking at Study Exchanges but some of the abroad Unis say International Studies and not International Relations, are they interchangeable?

You'll have to read the detail and compare. Sometimes they are exactly the same, but often International Relations is limited to political and economic relations, with maybe history included, whereas International Studies is more broad and indicates that things like comparative culture. There's no particular consistency of approach, so you'll have to read the detail.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.