Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Alright as some of you may know. This terms AS results were a mixed bag. I contacted some of my friends from other school to see how they did.

Our school average : C

Their school average: A

This is because their school done ONLY the maths exams in January and saved the rest of their units until June. Maths being the hardest A level (by popular belief) it's such a let down to others that the hardest A level is being done all on its own in January (obviously warranting good results) and other schools such as mine cram all their exams in one month spreading out revision and ultimately... failing.

Herp derp A levels are so unfair

Edit: Okay come on AS level Physics is not that bad...
    I do both and Maths is defo the one that needs most practise.
    The Mechanics part you can literally do in a week, the practical is a pain, leaving only unit 2 circuits and **** which is pretty hard I suppose.

I'm saying, Maths is the one you must PRACTISE AND PRACTISE AND PRACTISE. With that out of the way in January you can save ALL that practise time for the 60% of Maths in Physics.

Lol why am I getting negged? Bunch of idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)
    Alright as some of you may know. This terms AS results were a mixed bag. I contacted some of my friends from other school to see how they did.

This is because their school done ONLY the maths exams in January and saved the rest of their units until June. Maths being the hardest A level (by popular belief) it's such a let down to others that the hardest A level is being done all on its own in January (obviously warranting good results) and other schools such as mine cram all their exams in one month spreading out revision and ultimately... failing.

Surely they'll be in the same situation later on when they have to spread revision out over summer exams?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, they will have more exams in june surely to revise for...? (if im understanding you correctly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Frieza)

Maths is not the hardest, its more likely to be physics or chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    My college did that last year. I ended up with 8 exams in the summer which all happened to fall in the space of a week. Needless to say, I could have done better.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools are better than others. That is probably the main reason for the difference in the average grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    i would say physics is the hardest

ReputationRep:
    At my school we do it the same way as your friends'. Just one maths module in January and save the rest for the summer.

I really like it as it allows you to focus more time on learning content than revising around Christmas. In politics we only finished unit 3 a couple of weeks ago, this is because the amount of learning required for unit 3 and 4 are very different.

As for the amount of exams in the summer, I didn't really mind last year as we had more time to revise than other institutions, and we could really focus on the stuff we were struggling with. If one module is harder than the other you can spend more time on it rather than having to split the time evenly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MOTORMADX)
    I'd agree, although I am slightly biased having just received my fourth offer for Theoretical Physics earlier today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    I was going to say this until I saw your post.
    Head of Physics at my school openly takes the piss out of chemistry, also admits its the hardest A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    At my school we do it the same way as your friends'. Just one maths module in January and save the rest for the summer.

I really like it as it allows you to focus more time on learning content than revising around Christmas. In politics we only finished unit 3 a couple of weeks ago, this is because the amount of learning required for unit 3 and 4 are very different.

As for the amount of exams in the summer, I didn't really mind last year as we had more time to revise than other institutions, and we could really focus on the stuff we were struggling with. If one module is harder than the other you can spend more time on it rather than having to split the time evenly.

You're so damn lucky. I wish schools would grow a brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    Not really, they will have more exams in june surely to revise for...? (if im understanding you correctly)

Say you do 4 A levels including maths. Doing C1 and C2 in January with more emphasis on those units would take away SO MUCH STRESS.

The hard part of these exams is prioritising and choosing when to revise what.

If there was only emphasis on certain units, surely we would do well!

ReputationRep:
    My school spreads out our exams. For the Summer now I only have 3 A Level exams left and I'm done

ReputationRep:
    Really? I did all three. Chemistry was by far the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    My school spreads out our exams. For the Summer now I only have 3 A Level exams left and I'm done
    Bliss. Wish my school did that... During my A-Levels I had to do every exam in june, studied maths so had a minimum of 3 exams! Had 8 exams in June!

ReputationRep:
    I do physics maths and chemistry and chemistry is 100% the hardest. I'm the best in my class and I'm still only 2 marks off a B at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    I do Maths and I agree, maths is not the hardest; I often find subjective subjects such as History a right pain in the arse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liberty)
    Really? I did all three. Chemistry was by far the hardest.
    it really depends on the exam board your doing.

for me, physics is the hardest, the content is very easy to understand but i do really badly in the exams, got any tips for a fellow student on how to do well on physics

ReputationRep:
    it really depends on the exam board your doing.

for me, physics is the hardest, the content is very easy to understand but i do really badly in the exams, got any tips for a fellow student on how to do well on physics

Past papers

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.