Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, currently in year 11, considering taking physics to AS level (with WJEC). What is the course like? How hard is it? Any information would be great :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mma_gal96)
    Hi, currently in year 11, considering taking physics to AS level (with WJEC). What is the course like? How hard is it? Any information would be great :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am currently taking A2 Physics with AQA (but all the boards are fairly similar). All I can say is it is not impossible as some people suggest and the maths side isn't too difficult if you are confident at GCSE level maths (you simply need to be competent at algebraic manipulation). It is fairly challenging but not to a frustrating level and when you understand a concept fully it feels good; of course its a step up from GCSE but as is every subject. For AS it made of 2 modules (worth 40% of AS each), one on electricity and particles; the other on Mechanics and waves + a practical assessment (20% of AS). A lot of the mechanics is common ground with mechanics 1 in maths A level, but the electricity and particles side at AS really quite interesting. I'd recommend taking it if you enjoy Physics at the moment and have decent standard at maths (and of course physics) at GCSE, its tough but rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    It's awesome. Take it!!! You will need to put the work in though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Easier than A2 Physics

But seriously, getting into it can be hard, and I think the step up can be quite big but once you're into it and if you have a passion you can find some of it really really interesting/mind blowing.
    The revision is a bit like maths, just do past papers and if you don't get something go over it again. If you do enough papers which you feel went all right, the exam will be no problem. Not like some other subjects where a completely new angle on a question can come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mma_gal96)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got a terrible teacher. So it's indeed hard for me to do the course and when I'm taught by her it's so boring. I think if you have a nice teacher, the course is cool to do.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying A2 Physics (AQA A) I found AS Physics quite challenging, you have to put in a lot of hard work to get a good grade, it's not impossible but it will definitely stretch you. I often found myself in awe when I learned new things such as Photoelectricity, Electric fields (in A2) to name but a few. A-Level Physics is really enjoyable once you get into the right frame of mind and you don't allow yourself to become overwhelmed by the new concepts.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well, its fairly competitive but once you get the knack of it, you can score good grades. Besides, mathematics isn't too much a problem. Like the Hodder's book keeps maths to a minimum (and some explanations too.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    Easier than A2 Physics
    Seriously I find A2 physics even easier than AS. Not to scare you though AS physics is still easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lelyke)
    Seriously I find A2 physics even easier than AS. Not to scare you though AS physics is still easy.
    Maybe unit 4 is easier than unit 2, but unit 5 gets into a lot of content :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking the CIE A-levels sorry. But A2 topics are more enjoyable AS is filled with young modulus and waves bull.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I did A-level OCR Physics, I have to say that it was a really enjoyable course, I can admit now, it can be a bit tricky if you dont grasp the maths aspects. But apart from that its ok However, A2 is a completely different story!!!

ReputationRep:
    Better than Chemistry and Biology combined

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.