Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do I have Anaemia? Watch

Hi Everyone,

Not sure how long ago my symptoms started but I've had them for quite a while. I've started to become increasingly tired, I sometimes sleep for ten hours a day and am still tired throughout the rest of the day. I have dark black bags under my eyes which won't go no matter how much sleep I get and I constantly feel weak and exhausted. I would go to my GP for a blood test but I am terrified of blood tests - stupid I know when health is concerned but thought i'd ask you guys first to see what you think.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It could be due to stress or tiredness from job school etc but go see a doctor you may have a low thyroid count

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mum's aneamic and there are a few other symptoms you can look out for too.
    Have you noticed that your hair is thinning at all?
    Do you get dizzy spells?
    If when you look at your inner part of your eyelid it's a pale colour?
    Do your nails chip all the time?
    Do you have a paler complexion than usual?

If it's yes for any of the above, I would definitely recommend going to a Doctor. I know having blood taken isn't pleasant (I struggle with needles myself), but it's definitely worth it in the long run. There's no use feeling rubbish, when it can be sorted out pretty easily most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi Everyone,

Not sure how long ago my symptoms started but I've had them for quite a while. I've started to become increasingly tired, I sometimes sleep for ten hours a day and am still tired throughout the rest of the day. I have dark black bags under my eyes which won't go no matter how much sleep I get and I constantly feel weak and exhausted. I would go to my GP for a blood test but I am terrified of blood tests - stupid I know when health is concerned but thought i'd ask you guys first to see what you think.

Thanks
    I'm afraid the only way to answer this question is to have a blood test, there are several things that can make someone feel like this and therefore that question can't be answered over the internet.

A blood test is something tonnes of people have every day, its a teeny needle, you barely even feel it and it should be done before you even realise. Try not to worry about it and think of the benefit you should get if it finds the cause of your symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, your best bet would be to go to your GP and describe your symptoms, and then they'll likely refer you for a blood test. It's really nothing to worry about, and the phlebotomist/whoever does the blood test should ask you if you're OK with blood tests - I had two in November for anaemia, and both times I was asked. It is over really really quickly, and shouldn't hurt, and you can always look away from the needle. Maybe take someone with you if you're scared? Anaemia is something that can be sorted really easily though, so I would recommend seeing your GP and finding out the cause of your symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, When i had anaemia I was also very tired and had a weird craving for ice! A blood test is the only way to determine if you are but if you desperately don't want to have one just eat a lot more food that has iron in. Lentils,beans, spinach, breakfast cereals with iron (I used to have Cheerios or Raisin Bran), tofu, broccoli, baked potato (with the skin) raisins, peaches and prunes (just to name a few!) Hope this helps and send me a message if you need any more advice x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxMizzChocolatexX)
    Hi, When i had anaemia I was also very tired and had a weird craving for ice! A blood test is the only way to determine if you are but if you desperately don't want to have one just eat a lot more food that has iron in. Lentils,beans, spinach, breakfast cereals with iron (I used to have Cheerios or Raisin Bran), tofu, broccoli, baked potato (with the skin) raisins, peaches and prunes (just to name a few!) Hope this helps and send me a message if you need any more advice x
    If someone is properly anaemic diet may not be enough to correct it, besides, it may not be anaemia and if it is, you will need to know the cause, so the OP really just needs to see the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    If someone is properly anaemic diet may not be enough to correct it, besides, it may not be anaemia and if it is, you will need to know the cause, so the OP really just needs to see the doctor.
    Yes, i understand they should see a doctor, but a diet of iron can help them to if they are diagnosed of being anemia..i was once was seriously anemic myself so do understand a diet my not help you 100% but either way they should be seeing a doctor as they will know what is best for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxMizzChocolatexX)
    Yes, i understand they should see a doctor, but a diet of iron can help them to if they are diagnosed of being anemia..i was once was seriously anemic myself so do understand a diet my not help you 100% but either way they should be seeing a doctor as they will know what is best for them.
    That's fine, just trying to encourage the OP to see the docs and jot chicken out on a blood test and try other stuff when this needs to be sorted.

[QUOTE=alimander;41730011]My mum's aneamic and there are a few other symptoms you can look out for too.
    Have you noticed that your hair is thinning at all?
    Do you get dizzy spells?
    If when you look at your inner part of your eyelid it's a pale colour?
    Do your nails chip all the time?
    Do you have a paler complexion than usual?

If it's yes for any of the above, I would definitely recommend going to a Doctor. I know having blood taken isn't pleasant (I struggle with needles myself), but it's definitely worth it in the long run. There's no use feeling rubbish, when it can be sorted out pretty easily most of the time.

Definitely going to get checked out now, my complexion is practically paper white, my nails chip so easily and i've had about six dizzy spells in the past couple of months, thanks for all the advice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.