Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    I think it's because they're comparing it to the daft things most folk do whilst drunk. Somehow they think that harbouring a desire to watch a small animal scream in pain and fear as her skin is scorched and burnt until eventually she succumbs to the burns and dies a horrid painful frightening death-is the same as losing your wallet, arguing with the doorman or sleeping with your housemate...
    Another ridiculously over the top comment. The language you're using to describe the act would make even baking a cake sound something only Genghis Khan himself would dare attempt. Part of me honestly thinks you won't be happy until this bloke is fried in a pan himself.

Ever swatted a fly or stood on a spider?

ReputationRep:
    In fact I don't think I've even commented on his punishment, aside from agreeing when somebody said he'd probably be open to people being antisocial toward him and responding 'good'.
    Well let's be blunt here, you called his £1k fine, decade's ban on owning animals, and lengthy community service order too lenient. I'd strongly wager you killed a few insects while you were off your face-perhaps you should be carted off to prison to punish you for such barbarity.

ReputationRep:
    I am totally apathetic on what happens to him-But if bad things happen, I'll have no sympathy.

His punishment by the law is fairly lenient but It's more suited than what I've seen some animal abusers get.

As I have said earlier, I've been a heavy drinker most of my life, I've been VERY drunk more times than most people. Not that I'm proud of it, but it's fact. I've done some incredibly stupid things.I'd never PURPOSELY hurt anybody innocent who didn't deserve it, and I guarantee I never will
    He fried a hamster that was potentially already dead. How vindictive can you be to wish ruin upon a man's entire life for that?

You must be tremendously lucky to have drunk as much as you've claimed and never done anything stupid as a result. As with all drugs, alcohol alters your reasoning and decision-making capacity - the choices you make when drunk are often different from the ones you would make when sober, and this should be taken into account when judging anybody's actions.

To be quite frank, you are coming across as naive and overly vindictive. The only way to learn forgiveness is to have made some really big mistakes and be blessed to have someone have the patience and tolerance to forgive you - something I've been grateful for more than a couple of times in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Another ridiculously over the top comment. The language you're using to describe the act would make even baking a cake sound something only Genghis Khan himself would dare attempt. Part of me honestly thinks you won't be happy until this bloke is fried in a pan himself.

Ever swatted a fly or stood on a spider?
    No, I'm being realistic.
    And no, I've never swatted a fly, if I have stood on a spider it was only by accident and not that I am aware of.
    I am not losing sleep over what this idiot did, I am just specifying that it is not something that should be excused, drunk or not, he's a certain type of individual and I'm pretty sure you've never felt the need to harm anybody's pet whilst drunk, nor has anybody on this forum nor most people. It takes a certain character, a very questionable one.

(Original post by Midlander)
    Well let's be blunt here, you called his £1k fine, decade's ban on owning animals, and lengthy community service order too lenient. I'd strongly wager you killed a few insects while you were off your face-perhaps you should be carted off to prison to punish you for such barbarity.
    No, I didn't. I said "His punishment by the law is fairly lenient but It's more suited than what I've seen some animal abusers get"..

I have never harmed an animal on purpose, and granted I never will.

ReputationRep:
    Sick *******.

However, what I don't get is how some people are justifying why this is wrong. It's not primarily wrong because the hamster was someone's pet. It's wrong in virtue of what happened to the animal, and that alone. It would be just as bad a scenario if White had fried a wild rodent. The fact that it was someone's pet is a secondary reason for the moral repugnance of this crime, not the primary one.

ReputationRep:
    This is so sad and hurtful

(Original post by Callum96)
    I think the sentence was about right and that a custodial sentence may have been excessive. He has clearly paid a large price for his stupidity and the fact he was drunk is certainly not an excuse. Saying that the death penalty is needed for this is simply irrational. He clearly regrets what he has done and has been rightly punished.
    ok

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.