The Student Room Group

York student fries a hamster

Scroll to see replies

Original post by + polarity -
This is why the death penalty is needed.

I see what you're doing :biggrin:
Original post by MirZ
While I totally agree that it's cruel and rotten, I do wonder how many of you are vegetarians? With such outrage over a hamster why not more outrage over beak trimming, overfeeding and in general very very poor conditions for animals?

There is an outrage, there are loads and loads of charities and foundations in place to combat that.

The reality is with such a high demand for meat, people will end up cutting corners.

What makes this worse is it was totally unnecessary.
Like, what the hell?! Jesus, a hamster?! Lost for words to be honest. :/ Just WOW.
Original post by + polarity -
This is why the death penalty is needed.

I agree he shouldn't have done it but death penalty for frying a hamster? Bit extreme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Only just read about this, it's disgusting. What the hell is wrong with him and what motivates a person to do something like this?! -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by jblackmoustache
And gets 120 hours community service and has to pay £1000

I have done crazy stuff when drunk, but I fail to understand why anyone would be that drunk to think 'hey, let's fry my flatmates hamster'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-21697956

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just horrific, poor hamster :sad:

People like that make me sick. Being drunk is no excuse whatsoever, yes, everyone does silly things when they're drunk, but that is cruel and barbaric. He should be banned from owning animals for more than 8 years. Ughr.
Reply 26
Original post by Wilfred Little

What makes this worse is it was totally unnecessary.

Just like eating meat is totally unessesary.
Reply 27
Original post by kka25
A bit extreme don't you think? He's already in his final year.

Are you joking?
Original post by MirZ
While I totally agree that it's cruel and rotten, I do wonder how many of you are vegetarians? With such outrage over a hamster why not more outrage over beak trimming, overfeeding and in general very very poor conditions for animals?

That's a whole different thing. Though I do think there a lot wrong with the production of meat meant for consumption, those animals didn't mean anything to people, let alone the butcher's friends/flatmates.

But if you ever had pet, you would know, that they become companions, if not family members. And yes, even hamsters mean something to their owners.
Reply 29
Absolute mug.
Which reminds me - it's been a while since I had lobster for dinner.
Reply 31
Original post by la_mariposa
That's a whole different thing. Though I do think there a lot wrong with the production of meat meant for consumption, those animals didn't mean anything to people, let alone the butcher's friends/flatmates. But if you ever had pet, you would know, that they become companions, if not family members. And yes, even hamsters mean something to their owners.
There is that aspect but how many people are complaining about it from that angle instead of being unhealthily attached to small furry animals.

Anyway if it's ok for people pets to run around killing and eating the wildlife why is it not the same for people mad with the beer hunger?
Original post by electriic_ink
Which reminds me - it's been a while since I had lobster for dinner.

Whether you're suggesting this or not - how is this really any different to cooking lobster? Yet we're all okay with that?
Original post by james22

If you kill an animal to eat it then killing it isn't unnecessary.

Eating meat is very necessary.
(edited 11 years ago)
York should set an example and kick him out. Sadly, universities tend to do all they can to protect their students from the law rather than aid in its application.
How do people come up with this kind of stuff?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Sadistic prick. Deserves to have his spine broken.

Looks like a real fanny as well.

A human needing spine broken because of a hamster? you are idiot.
is only a hamster. not necessary no, but is still only hamster.
do you knowing exactly how the meat you are eating is killed, for example?
Reply 37
One of the most stupid posts I have ever seen on here. If you kill an animal to eat it then killing it isn't unnecessary.

Eating meat is very necessary.

are you breaking spine of people who putting salt on slugs too?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by james22

Meat is an important part of human diet. We are omnivorous creatures; we have evolved canines and incisors specifically so that we can eat meat. Cruelty to animals is different to killing animals humanely to eat afterwards. Obviously not all meat is from free range animals who were killed humanely, but it's up to consumers to fight that. The difference is, this hamster was tortured and fried for FUN, not food, and that is disgusting. I bet you don't whine when a lion kills a zebra to eat, so why do you feel compelled to tell us about the evils of eating meat when we do the same thing?

I can disagree with this boys actions just as passionately as anyone else and still love the delicious taste of bacon.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
York should set an example and kick him out. Sadly, universities tend to do all they can to protect their students from the law rather than aid in its application.

York have kicked someone out indefinitely before for killing and eating one of the ducks.

No excuses, alcohol or not, what this guy did was wrong beyond belief. I would beat him with the frying pan in honour of the hamster. A deserved punishment it would be.

And if I were to eat a lobster I would kill it before cooking it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest