Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

After doing History BA, is a law conversion course a good idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm doing a History BA, is a law conversion course a good idea in terms of job prospects? Will i need to take any other training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flavius11)
    It depends on a) what university you're at and b) what kind of Law job you're after. If you are at a top university (talking top 10 here) and want a city law job then yes it may be a good idea. Not as easy a path as once was, and there are ALOT of history graduates from even top universities who fail to get training contracts but equally there are significant numbers who do. If you're from a worse university, then a city training contract is probably out of your reach due to the heavy competition. High street firms remain an option, but it is becoming increasingly hard to find small firms who want to train graduates (due to the heavy GDL/LPC fees involved) and unless you're a top applicant this can be extremely difficult. In terms of the bar, unless you have a first from Oxbridge or UCL/LSE/Kings esque universities then it's probably a waste of time due to the unbelievable competition.

In summary: depends on your university and your aspirations. If you're motivated and enthusiastic about law you'll probably succeed in finding some form of employment, but it is getting increasingly tough for law conversion people (and lawyers generally) to find employment so unless you really are very very passionate and a top candidate it may be extremely risky.

Hope that is of help.
    Thank you this was great, i'm hoping Southampton is the right uni. It's not at the very top but it is within the Russel group. Oh dear these decisions. Thank you again

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.