Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Salters Chemistry F335 12th June 2013 Exam revision thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totw)
    Hi, I have the January 2013 paper, but I don't have the mark scheme :/
    Could someone post on here please, be really grateful
    Here it is.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F335_Jan_2013_MS_FINAL.pdf (159.7 KB, 237 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totw)
    Hi, I have the January 2013 paper, but I don't have the mark scheme :/
    Could someone post on here please, be really grateful
    Hi can you post the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynsteel)
    Not entirely sure if it's on the syllabus but the dehydration of two carboxylic acids forms an acid anhydride
    Do you know if the acid anhydride formed in this way is always cyclic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlane5000)
    Do you know if the acid anhydride formed in this way is always cyclic?
    I'll assume no but if this type of question comes up draw out the anhydride group then start adding on the rest of the carbons and hydrogens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tristian Fox)
    Here it is.
    Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRC4321)
    I can't sorry, I got it in paper form not a PDF file, so I've scribbled all over it :/ also my printer/scanner has broken down so I can't scan it in even if you wanted the scribbled version sorry

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

On page 50 of the A2 official revision guide, it says that increasing the total pressure may change the rate of reaction. Why will it not always change the rate?

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harantony)
    Hi,

On page 50 of the A2 official revision guide, it says that increasing the total pressure may change the rate of reaction. Why will it not always change the rate?

Thanks!
    The reactants would have to be in the gas phase for pressure to have an effect, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRC4321)
    I've got a copy.
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf F335-01Jan13.pdf (262.8 KB, 106 views)

ReputationRep:
    I'll assume no but if this type of question comes up draw out the anhydride group then start adding on the rest of the carbons and hydrogens
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tristian Fox)
    I've got a copy.
    Thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    The reactants would have to be in the gas phase for pressure to have an effect, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe that it's to do with the fact of whether the equilibrium position changes as if there are an equal number of moles on both sides of an equation then the equilibrium position won't change and nor will the rate

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help?
    On question 5(f) the June 2012 paper the question is:

A particular slat has an ENDOTHERMIC enthalpy change of solution.
    State how the solubility of this salt would change, if at all, as temperature is increased.
    Explain your answer in terms of entropy changes. [4]

I got it the other way round, but I thought if the enthalpy change of solution is positive then the salt cannot dissolve??

Thank u!

ReputationRep:
    To make a polyamide is it:

-Carboxylic acid + Amine
    -Acyl chloride + Amine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah1994)
    To make a polyamide is it:

-Carboxylic acid + Amine
    -Acyl chloride + Amine
    Acyl Chloride is used to make a secondary amide in a laboratory while a Carboxylic acid is used in biological systems to make peptide (secondary amide) bonds in proteins.

ReputationRep:
    Ive tried but i cant do these Q's can someone explain how to go about answering the followin please:

June 12
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131296-...-by-design.pdf

Q1 (f) (i) and (ii) and (iii), Q2 (e),(g) (iv).

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I believe that it's to do with the fact of whether the equilibrium position changes as if there are an equal number of moles on both sides of an equation then the equilibrium position won't change and nor will the rate
    But either way if you increase the pressure, the particles will be closer together so have a greater chance of colliding over the activation energy and therefore increase the rate of both the forwards and backwards reactions. I understand that the position of the equilibrium won't change but I would think that the rate changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh thank you! I searched your idea and Chemguide confirmed it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harantony)
    Ahh thank you! I searched your idea and Chemguide confirmed it.
    Yay, I actually know something for this exam! :ahee:

Has anyone actually read Chemical Storylines in its entirety? I skimmed through AI before and realised I had never even looked at it until now... I know the revision guide picks out bits of it, but might they be evil and chuck some obscure storylines questions into the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay, I actually know something for this exam! :ahee:

Has anyone actually read Chemical Storylines in its entirety? I skimmed through AI before and realised I had never even looked at it until now... I know the revision guide picks out bits of it, but might they be evil and chuck some obscure storylines questions into the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've read the F335 sections, and tbh, they really seem to waffle and go into a lot of detail about some concepts; that I don't think we'll really need. Most of the content is repeated regardless, so I wouldn't worry

I really don't get the point of the storylines textbook tbh. I heard only a minority of schools base their lessons around that textbook and not the actual content, so there doesn't seem to be much point about that textbook :/

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to know mechanisms for like Friedel Crafts? Like curly arrows for chloromethane and AlCl3?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.