Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Salters Chemistry F335 12th June 2013 Exam revision thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got 144.67g for the iodine number :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuristicmedic)
    I got single peak because there only one proton environment , cause its methanal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    woop woop!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Methanal. Only one proton environment due to the H-C=O environment?

I was really happy with the analysis questions. No tricky NMR or IR, and GLC and mass spec were really good I felt! Did people get Methanol for the mass speccy question?
    yeeeeep

ReputationRep:
    For the mr question did anyone get Ch3Oh and then say because of its molecular ion peak

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Mollie_)
    I did the moles in 100g and then the moles of thiosulfate and divided this value by 2 (2:1 mole ratio) then subtracted to get moles reacted and then multiplied this by Mr of I2. God I'm so stupid!!
    Don't worry, you would've picked up some marks

Iodine number is a very tricky concept; only been asked twice before, once in a legacy paper, and also in Feb 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Methanal. Only one proton environment due to the H-C=O environment?

I was really happy with the analysis questions. No tricky NMR or IR, and GLC and mass spec were really good I felt! Did people get Methanol for the mass speccy question?
    Yarp

ReputationRep:
    Last question was 180 yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly90210)
    yeeeeep
    :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ells-13)
    Haha love the name, umm did you have to state the product??? cus I put the type of proton (C-CH) and said no splitting occurs cause it neighboured C=O that carried no H atom.
    Yeah I think the question said to state it, but they would probably give marks for explanation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmonidae)
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    So in the Iodine question I found the number of moles left over, took that away from the total number of moles of iodine, then calculated the mass of iodine for that number of moles, but for the mass calculation I did Mass = Moles/RFM for some reason...then I scaled up my mass value for 100 grams of the oil, so I got the wrong answer. How many marks out of 5 would I get for that do you think?
    I did exactly what you did haha

ReputationRep:
    Majority of peeps have got that answer, so it must be the right answer. I got something like 1081 lool
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    To everyone who wanted the diagram: I managed to remember it. I'm scanning it in now and will PM you soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizjames94)
    I got 144.67g for the iodine number :/
    I got that too...should only lose 1 mark i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manpyy)
    yeah
    Sick. Very heavy calculation paper, suited me. Was 32 the mass on the mass spec question, to give methanol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Ranch)
    I did exactly what you did haha
    How many marks do you think we'll get for that? Such an annoying mistake to make, must have used that equation thousands of times before...

ReputationRep:
    Sick. Very heavy calculation paper, suited me. Was 32 the mass on the mass spec question, to give methanol?
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harantony)
    To everyone who wanted the diagram: I managed to remember it. I'm scanning it in now and will PM you soon.
    Please can you PM me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    How many marks do you think we'll get for that? Such an annoying mistake to make, must have used that equation thousands of times before...
    There will be 1 mark for using the correct formula and we used the wrong one. There will be error carried forward so we'd only lose one mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Ranch)
    I got that too...should only lose 1 mark i think
    hopefully.. a few other people at my school got it too

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.